General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To all the San Fransisco people...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 01:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just wondering....I will be in SF for a day, this Sunday. I have a hold over for like 11 hours while I'm on my way to the Philippines. Just wondering if someone on here could show me around SF? I arrive at SFO at noon and my plane for the Philippines leaves at 11:35 that night. Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2001, 10:53 PM

-bump^-
Old 08-07-2001, 08:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Slickismax
-bump^-

Sorry dude, I could have a few years ago, but don't live there anymore.

Check out Haight-Ashbury area .. hang out there for a bit. Eat at Squat and Gobble 2 if you like a cool casual place. If you want something really nice, try Grazie 2000 in the North Beach area.

stay cool
Old 08-07-2001, 08:35 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hi there! Sorry, looks like Turbo95Max and I might be doing a torque converter on that day.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:01 PM

Hey Kev, whose TC are you guys doing? Is it Jeff's from So Cal? I'd stop by but I'll be in FL...
Old 08-07-2001, 07:42 PM

Man, all you SF people are busy?!? J/P Well, hopefully someone can hook me up!
Old 08-07-2001, 08:17 PM

To all you SF people.. How the hell do you drive a lowered car w/ or without a body kit in SF!!!!.. I just visited there and damn.. there are some major bumps, hills, and shoddy streets there.. I would not lower my car or mod it at all if i lived there.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
To all you SF people.. How the hell do you drive a lowered car w/ or without a body kit in SF!!!!.. I just visited there and damn.. there are some major bumps, hills, and shoddy streets there.. I would not lower my car or mod it at all if i lived there.
Yea I know. I've been there too and it is crazy. Kev, do you race the trolley cars? Or take the twisties down Lombard Street?
Old 08-07-2001, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

Yea I know. I've been there too and it is crazy. Kev, do you race the trolley cars? Or take the twisties down Lombard Street?

I took my old Max down Lombard!! Weeeeeeee

Old 08-08-2001, 12:22 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

hehhehe, its like anything, get used to the roads. If i lived in downtown SF or traveled to downtown SF alot. i would not take my Max. Outside of SF roads are kinda bad but its bearable.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:14 AM

umm sorry, but now Squat and Bobble is full of homosexuals almost every day. No offence to any homosexuals on this board but i dont think he would like it there. As far as northbeach/Broadway area...if you want some good food, go to Garden Of Eden hehehe.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:18 AM

Hey Slickismax...

I live in SF and will be working on the day that you will be here. Im the sales manager at the biggest and most award wining car wash in Northern California. We have a huge detailing center and a little cafe inside too. If you are intrested in bringing your max down then i can hook you up with a nice wash. I dont really know you and i dont know where you are coming from but for some reason i thought it would come with you. If not, then im sure some member down here will be happy to show you around or even just let you chill. Waiting for your reply.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Andrew91SE
Hey Slickismax...

I live in SF and will be working on the day that you will be here. Im the sales manager at the biggest and most award wining car wash in Northern California. We have a huge detailing center and a little cafe inside too. If you are intrested in bringing your max down then i can hook you up with a nice wash. I dont really know you and i dont know where you are coming from but for some reason i thought it would come with you. If not, then im sure some member down here will be happy to show you around or even just let you chill. Waiting for your reply.
Hmmm..... brining his Max to your car wash? Re-read his post.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:17 AM

well thats why i was kinda confused. Mavica Boy!
Old 08-08-2001, 10:35 AM

Hey Slickismax...

Yeah, my Max will actually be in a car show while I am in SF. I'm flying into SF, its just that I have 11 hours to kill, so I was hoping someone could show me the sights?

Thanks though!
Old 08-08-2001, 10:51 AM

sorry, i would be glad to kick it with you, but i'm in taiwan, and if i wasn't i woulda been doing the tC install with matthel..
Old 08-08-2001, 10:57 AM

umm sorry, but now Squat and Bobble is full of homosexuals almost every day. No offence to any homosexuals on this board but i dont think he would like it there.
What about Blacks? Asians? Italians? Any of those there?

some of you guys aren't afraid to show your bigotry, I'll grant ya that
Old 08-09-2001, 09:15 AM

like i said. No offence is any way at all. But i dont like to go to the middle of Castro and eat there because of that. I just dont feel comfortable. Also, some things that ive seen happen there are not appitiate friendly. I was gonna eat there with some friends one sunday morning and saw what was going on. Also, i can reccomend much better places to eat and just chill here in SF...
Old 08-09-2001, 11:51 AM

heeh, i admit it...i agree with Andrew..hehe, i mean its not that i hate homosexuals, but alot of people dont feel comfortable around them...me included. I dont particularly like being checked out by other guys either..it aint that fun.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:30 PM

ha!

homophobes!!

whassamatta?

Old 08-10-2001, 12:05 AM

heeh, maybe if you get chased by them when your a lil kid might change your attitude. Again, i have nothing aganist homosexuals, but it aint my thing and and i get scared when i think back.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:41 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 08-10-2001, 09:31 AM

OMG is it just me or do is there really an image of keving dancing/prancing in circles????

BTW, jane i got u some pens and a ruler.. not sure if u'll like it...
and kev.. i got u a hello kitty pen too so don't be jealous.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:53 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by mingo
OMG is it just me or do is there really an image of keving dancing/prancing in circles????

BTW, jane i got u some pens and a ruler.. not sure if u'll like it...
and kev.. i got u a hello kitty pen too so don't be jealous.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2001, 10:32 AM

Ack... I'm in the area, but I wouldn't make a good tour guide of SF. I'm a South Bay dweller. Anyone else?

Might want to post in the West Coast forum about htis.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:32 AM

OK, here's what you do if you end up on your own:

Take a taxi from the airport to the corner of Lombard St. and Columbus Ave in downtown S.F. When you get out of the cab you'll have an awesome view of the TransAmerica pyramid-shaped building. You should also be able to find a bite to eat around there if you're hungry. Then walk up Lombard Steet about 2 1/2 blocks and you'll be at the base of the famous "crooked" section. Most people walk down this but I found it fun (and challenging) to walk up. At the top of the hill you'll be at Hyde St. -- turn right and start walking down the hill. Out in the middle of the Bay is Alcatraz. At the bottom of Hyde is Fisherman's Wharf / Pier 39 with shopping, souvenirs, and lots of great eating (so you may want to skip the dives on Columbus Ave.). Look around here, maybe take a boat ride out around Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate bridge. Visit Ghirardelli Square and eat lots of chocolate. Then when you are done there, go to the trolley depot right there in the park and take a trolley to Union Square (only like $2). This is a great ride and a couple times you'll feel like you're going over a cliff (be sure to get a good view out the front windows -- better yet, hang off the side!). Union Square is mostly surrounded by shops and hotels, but it's a good place to find a taxi back to the airport. Or if you have a little more time to kill, go to Chinatown and check that out.

Actually, it might even be better to start at Union Square from the airport! Walk a block east to Grant Street and turn left, and there is the main Gateway to Chinatown. Walk up Grant through Chinatown and you will come to Columbus Ave. (about 10 blocks) at an even better place to see the TransAmerica building! Go left on Columbus about 5-6 blocks and you'll come to Lombard St. Turn left (heading west/uphill) and then pick up where I started before. This is more walking, but it's worth it. This is the exact path I walked when I showed myself around SF in '98. (But it was neat because I really had no idea where I was going -- all these things just showed up in front of me!)

Don't worry about all the walking because you'll have plenty of time to sleep on the plane! (I'm assuming you can find a locker at the airport and leave behind your carry-on luggage.) Hope you get a chance to do all this!
Old 08-10-2001, 12:20 PM

BTW, we also had a rental car and went to Haight + Ashbury (we were driving nearby so I just wanted to stop and see it). I snapped a picture of the sign at the intersection (w/ both names) and two guys practically acosted me trying to demand money for taking a picture of "their" sign.

We were cruising around after that just seeing where the streets took us (we were actually looking for that famous hilltop park with the Painted Lady rowhouses that have the skyline in the background, but we never found it), and I looked up and saw a theater called Castro. Nearby was a huge rainbow flag and I was reminded of a Discovery channel show I had been half-watching a few weeks earlier where they talked about the Castro district and what it was. Now, as others have said, none of the three of us are homophobic but we still suddenly felt very uncomfortable. Three guys riding around in a Sable might have some people there thinking the wrong thing. We weren't scared or nervous, just felt strangely out of place. But I'm glad we ended up there now -- just part of the whole San Francisco experience!
Old 08-10-2001, 01:56 PM

Wow Creature..thats an incredicle write up. You really know the city well. If you want to see some other intresting parts, take a cab to the Mission between 16th and 17th. Then take a cab to Hunters Point and the Tenderloin. Also, dont forget to make a stop at the Fillmo'. HAHA..just kidding bro. Dont go to any of those area's. Im really sorry but ill be working and cant take the time off. Hope you enjoy the city.