General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

who else won at maxus besides 97maxgurl?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 08:27 PM

thx
Old 08-09-2001, 08:37 PM

I got smoked in the first round of bracket racing by an unknown 5th gen (see pic below). Atleast I beat him off the line .
Old 08-09-2001, 08:50 PM

i thought she has an auto max that runs 15's. how can she won? ( not saying u are slow) what happen to the supercharged max, all dead?
Old 08-09-2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
i thought she has an auto max that runs 15's. how can she won? ( not saying u are slow) what happen to the supercharged max, all dead?
OK Im confused, who are you talking to? My car isnt supercharged, although I wish it was.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:01 PM

im asking everyone, what happen to the supercharged and NOS maximas? she has a auto..
Old 08-09-2001, 09:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Perhaps it was bracket racing? Or she won a category in the show?

Old 08-10-2001, 05:28 AM

It was bracket racing. She was very consistant w/ her dial in time.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Supa Lao
It was bracket racing. She was very consistant w/ her dial in time.
yes .. which isn't really hard if you have an auto maxima that runs 16's.. if you know all you do is step on the gas and let it shift for it self.. its not hard to do that 10 times out of 10.. bracket racing should only be for manual trannies.. now thats consistency
Old 08-10-2001, 06:28 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax

yes .. which isn't really hard if you have an auto maxima that runs 16's.. if you know all you do is step on the gas and let it shift for it self.. its not hard to do that 10 times out of 10.. bracket racing should only be for manual trannies.. now thats consistency
Not true. A big part of bracket racing is reaction time. Auto or Stick makes no difference in that. You could run the same time EVERY run, but if your reaction time is just a little off you'll lose.

Auto or Stick, if you can win bracket racing that's an accomplishment.

I've seen many Auto cars loose a bracket race because of reaction time.

And Sprint, you know I feel the same way in the Auto VS. Stick debate as you...so I'm not backing Auto's for my own good.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:37 AM
Administrator

i still stand by what i say because its easier to be consitent on a bracket race with an auto than 5spd..

if you left at the 3rd yellow.. even if you left at the green.. if your reaction time was .5 .. if your reaction time was 1.5

once you dial in at a certain number.. and you keep hitting that certain number.. you win..

i could have a 1.5 rt, 2.7 60ft and a 17 sec 1/4 mile.. as long as i keep dialing in at 17 and i keep hitting 17 all day.. i am going to win..

with a 5spd.. your 60ft can vary any which way due to launching.. you can bog... you can spin .. you can be perfect.. but your dial in time could have been a bog launch.. which means to get that launch you will have to bog again.. or your dial in time may have been a spin launch.. which means you have to spin again.. or it could have been a perfect launch.. which means.. to win.. you must be perfect all the time..

you see where i am going with this?

Originally posted by ejj5875

Not true. A big part of bracket racing is reaction time. Auto or Stick makes no difference in that. You could run the same time EVERY run, but if your reaction time is just a little off you'll lose.

Auto or Stick, if you can win bracket racing that's an accomplishment.

I've seen many Auto cars loose a bracket race because of reaction time.

And Sprint, you know I feel the same way in the Auto VS. Stick debate as you...so I'm not backing Auto's for my own good.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:01 AM
ejj

i still stand by what i say because its easier to be consitent on a bracket race with an auto than 5spd..

if you left at the 3rd yellow.. even if you left at the green.. if your reaction time was .5 .. if your reaction time was 1.5

once you dial in at a certain number.. and you keep hitting that certain number.. you win..

i could have a 1.5 rt, 2.7 60ft and a 17 sec 1/4 mile.. as long as i keep dialing in at 17 and i keep hitting 17 all day.. i am going to win..

with a 5spd.. your 60ft can vary any which way due to launching.. you can bog... you can spin .. you can be perfect.. but your dial in time could have been a bog launch.. which means to get that launch you will have to bog again.. or your dial in time may have been a spin launch.. which means you have to spin again.. or it could have been a perfect launch.. which means.. to win.. you must be perfect all the time..

you see where i am going with this?

Yes, I understand your point, and don't disagree that it's easier to run consistant quarter mile times in an Auto.

However, your reaction time is included in bracket racing. For example, you dial a 17 and I dial a 15.

My reaction time is a .5 and I run a 15.5. Total time 16s. + I'm 2 seconds behind you, so from the time your light turned green it took me 18s.

Your reaction time is a 1.5. You hit 17 on the nose. This gives you a total time of 18.5s from the time that your light turned green.

I win because I crossed the line first without going under my dial. Bracket racing is not who runs closest to their dial, its who crosses the line first without beating their dial.

So, if your and Auto driver who can run consistant quarters and consistant rt's all the time...I would think bracket racing would be fairly easy.

See my point?
Old 08-10-2001, 07:01 AM

hmm... I have to agree with sprint on this one... either auto or 5spd you have to deal with reaction time... but with an auto your shifts are always about the same where as my shifting is all over the place - a short throw shifter will help but you still have a lot more variables to play with... it makes it more fun, but also a little biased for the auto drivers...

oh yeah... I lost in the second round at maxus to a neon that ran a 15.1 I got killed because the left lane was paved by a different company or something because I did an idential launch in the right lane and hooked up while the left lane I was spinning like crazy.

I did beat an SC maxima at maxus...
Old 08-10-2001, 07:10 AM
Administrator

E.. your talking to someone who already knows that.. and you are proving my point...

i never said if you run 1.7 and dial in at 17 to get 18.5..

my point is if you consitently run 1.7rt @ 17 its not hard with an auto.. you are going to keep doing that as long as you keep doing what you have been doing before.. step on the gas and go..

A.. brings up a very good point i left out.. shifting.. with a 5spd.. you can mis shift.. you can change your shift points.. and all that affects your 1/4 ...

Originally posted by ejj5875

Yes, I understand your point, and don't disagree that it's easier to run consistant quarter mile times in an Auto.

However, your reaction time is included in bracket racing. For example, you dial a 17 and I dial a 15.

My reaction time is a .5 and I run a 15.5. Total time 16s. + I'm 2 seconds behind you, so from the time your light turned green it took me 18s.

Your reaction time is a 1.5. You hit 17 on the nose. This gives you a total time of 18.5s from the time that your light turned green.

I win because I crossed the line first without going under my dial. Bracket racing is not who runs closest to their dial, its who crosses the line first without beating their dial.

So, if your and Auto driver who can run consistant quarters and consistant rt's all the time...I would think bracket racing would be fairly easy.

See my point?
Old 08-10-2001, 07:12 AM

someone answer my question please.. and stop arguing
Old 08-10-2001, 07:14 AM
Administrator

someone answer my question please.. and stop arguing
2 digi cams and 2 palms were given away..

i don't know who got one.. but they were for 1st and 2nd best of show and fastest maxima..

best of show

1st - Ming aka MAC
2nd - Tony aka 1MAX2NV

fastest <--- i would have one if i didn't have issues

1st - SethMax???
2nd - Brett aka Confused

other prizes where given away.. for like raffles and stuff.. rumor has it my number was called .. but i wasn't in attendance.. thats two prizes i missed
Old 08-10-2001, 07:21 AM

I won a baseball cap from Infiniti.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:27 AM

I was doing great at the bracket racing. I made it to the 3rd round. I dialed in a 15.85 and ran 15.89's. My RT's were great. .510, .560, and .430 (aaack!) I would have beat that Neon that took out Ange. He was wasn't running as close to his dial in time as I was. That red light really bummed me out. It was my only red light of the 10 runs of the day.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
.430 (aaack!)
I got those all day.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:48 AM
ejj

E.. your talking to someone who already knows that.. and you are proving my point...

i never said if you run 1.7 and dial in at 17 to get 18.5..

my point is if you consitently run 1.7rt @ 17 its not hard with an auto.. you are going to keep doing that as long as you keep doing what you have been doing before.. step on the gas and go..

A.. brings up a very good point i left out.. shifting.. with a 5spd.. you can mis shift.. you can change your shift points.. and all that affects your 1/4 ...

Sprint, I understand what your saying.

My points is, it takes a good driver to do the same thing every time, even in an Auto.

In your example, its not easy to get a 1.7rt every time. Mine usually vary from .5 to .75 all night. We're talking about such short periods of time that you would have to be perfect.

And any driver, auto or not, that can do that deserves to win.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:57 AM

seth max fastest?

what was his speed and time? supercharged?
Old 08-10-2001, 08:06 AM

Autos are easier to bracket race, sure. There's more to it than that though. You have to know when to let off at the traps so you don't break out. Reaction time is where the race is usually won. Also, autoamtics don't run the same ET each run. On average my dial in time was 15.85, but I moved it around on each run.

I was able to pull of the same consistency in my 5 speed though. Between my racing in the late 80's until now I must have well over 150 1/4 runs of experience.

Sprint, have you bracket raced before?

Old 08-10-2001, 08:13 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Bracket Race

im asking everyone, what happen to the supercharged and NOS maximas? she has a auto..
Without a doubt, I wasn't the fastest Max out there. But, in brackets race, consistancy is one single greatest element.. To my understanding, most of the Maximas dragging did not seem to have a good day at that particular track (hot day, questionable pavement, uphill slope at the end...etc.)
Old 08-10-2001, 08:17 AM
Maxima Enthusiast

Re: Bracket Race

Although I had the fastest Max at MAXUS, I didn't win the bracket race because of my slow RT and I couldn't find my 3rd gear when I raced the Neon in the second round. That should explain what had happened to one of the SC Max.

Now about RT and ET.. My understanding is that ET is only the time it takes you from the start of the line to the end of the line regardless of your RT. Since you're dialing in your RT, you have to be consistently fast on your RT. No matter how consistent your RT is, you're not going to be winning many bracket races with a RT of 1.7. You have to be consistently fast on your RT because ET doesn't take your RT into consideration. Here's a scenario.

Car 1 Car 2
Dialed in 16.30 16.50
RT 0.600 1.700

ET 1/4 16.50 16.50

Car 1 will cross the line 1.1 seconds ahead of car 2 because the total elapse time from the green to the finish for car 1 will be 17.1 seconds vs car 2's 18.2. So even though car 2 was consistent in its RT and ET, it would have still lost.

I maybe completely off on my understanding since I've only been to the track few times. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. =)