General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Why is the maxima so hard to modify?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 08:12 PM
Sunrise

Whats up with the VQ? Why is it so hard to put the engine into the 200fwhp range? Is the super-charger the only way to actually get there?
Why is it that all the VTEC's have so many parts, when combined can easily put down more than 200fwhp for way less than a supercharger+install?

I know that not many companies are out to make performance parts for the max...but arent there pistons and cams already available to pony up the peformance?

Is the are the exhaust mod's the only power-producing mods we have (other than the s/c)?

whats going on?

Old 08-12-2001, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Sunrise
Whats up with the VQ? Why is it so hard to put the engine into the 200fwhp range? Is the super-charger the only way to actually get there?
Why is it that all the VTEC's have so many parts, when combined can easily put down more than 200fwhp for way less than a supercharger+install?

I know that not many companies are out to make performance parts for the max...but arent there pistons and cams already available to pony up the peformance?

Is the are the exhaust mod's the only power-producing mods we have (other than the s/c)?

whats going on?
The problem is we have very little aftermarket... If you get a 5.0 mustang, you can get an aftermarket for just about every piece of your engine and drivetrain, down to every last bolt. So then you can squeeze more power out of it. And its much cheaper to mod too (competition between companies lowers prices). We have very little in the aftermarket, nothing but the MOST basic bolt ons... Intake, Exhaust, flywheel, udp, a couple of tranny stuff, and stillen S/C, that's it... No heads, no pistons, no boring and stroking, no hot cams, h*ll we 5th gen people don't even get a good chip...

That's why, personally I think the VQ could be a very reliable and very powerful racing engine if somebody went nuts at it - but this is my only car, and i'm in college, so it won't be me...

Old 08-13-2001, 09:14 AM

Its not that hard....

Actually unless the "VTEC's" (assuming its a B18C or B18C5) has hardcore valvetrain upgrade its not going to get near 200fwhp. I know for a fact that a 200fwhp VQ can be done. It will cost you because you'd need like 11.0 CR pistons, headwork and a good aftermarket cam grind. Come to think of it if one just bought a 2000 maxima intake manifold and collector, just with bolt ons it should hit 200fwhp. Add higher compression pistons with headwork and more aggressive cams + stronger valvetrain. You have a 7500rpm screamer to challenge the M3's.

Originally posted by Sunrise

whats going on?
Old 08-13-2001, 09:42 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The Maxima will never have a big aftermarket like Hondas and Pony cars simply because the majority who own Maximas are family people. Hondas have a big aftermarket, but it's a TON of the same stuff. You can buy 12 different kinds of intakes for a Civic Si, but they all make the same power. Same goes for the headers, mufflers, pedals, etc. It's just a lot of duplication. Hondas are easy to modify because they have lots of room in the engine. Turbos are an easy install on these cars. Many Honda motors and parts are interchangeable.

For the VQ Maxima you can buy:

Mufflers
Catbacks
B-pipes
Y-pipes
Headers
Intakes
Chips
Supercharger
Catalytic converters
Short shifters
Springs
Coilovers
Sway bars
Strut towers
Pedals
Shift *****
Lighting
Hoods
Body Kits
Spoilers
Interior trim
Seats
Brakes

What eles is there that we really need? Cams? 4 cams would be very pricey. Install would be a pain too since you'd have to remove the timing CHAIN. I'd say cams would cost ~$2500 with install. Heads would be nice (I hear the VQ has pretty restrictive ports), but this would require the engine to be removed.

Currently, hitting 200fwhp NA is impossible with a 4th gen VQ without digging into the engine. By the time you are done you would have wished you spent the money on a SC. One potential mod looms in the distance that will push a 4th gen VQ over 200fwhp. That would be the 5th gen variable intake manifold. Too bad no one has taken this mod too seriously yet. It will take fabrication though because there are a lot of vacumn lines and equipment mounted on these manifolds. PLus one would have to wire up a rpm switch to kick open the butterflies at 5000rpms.

Dave
Old 08-13-2001, 11:16 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

These new 3.5 VQs should be putting down 200hp easy...
Old 08-13-2001, 12:33 PM

You can buy 12 different kinds of intakes for a Civic Si, but they all make the same power. Same goes for the headers, mufflers, pedals, etc. It's just a lot of duplication.

then why do they all look the same? honda civics have the same clear lights, same big spoiler, same everything......the cars just dont stand out at all. accords are still better hooking up.
Old 08-18-2001, 04:14 PM

i think wit the mods available right now its alright. i would like a fe more thing but i wouldnt be able to afford them so w/e.
Old 08-18-2001, 05:06 PM

its the cheapness of hondas, they are so cheap that so many kids can buy them, therefore many more chances at modding companies, they really dont understand the max has a better engine that can be tweaked if the parts were available, very few companies realize this, its really makes me wanna say
Old 08-18-2001, 05:46 PM

your getting too harsh....

i think the aftermarket support for the max could be better, but it's still quite good (as Dave B mentioned). i've raced a few accords on the streets and just walked them w/ just a stillen y-pipe. the accord was totally done w/ complete body kit, dual exhaust, clears, bulbs, etc. and i just walked him. i'd be pretty damn depressed if i was him after all the money he spent.

kafene.
Old 08-18-2001, 05:55 PM

Re: your getting too harsh....

Originally posted by kafene
i think the aftermarket support for the max could be better, but it's still quite good (as Dave B mentioned). i've raced a few accords on the streets and just walked them w/ just a stillen y-pipe. the accord was totally done w/ complete body kit, dual exhaust, clears, bulbs, etc. and i just walked him. i'd be pretty damn depressed if i was him after all the money he spent.

kafene.
we can walk on them bc of our engines stock, we flat out have better engines that deserve more respect than we get, think if we had 5 companies that made altezzas for us, they would be incredibly cheap, then we could have many more mods from the same money if the support was there
Old 08-18-2001, 07:25 PM
Administrator

who cares... a 190 fwhp 4th Gen Maxima is way faster than anything you need
Old 08-18-2001, 10:09 PM

When cams are offered, combined with a full exhaust and an intake, will put the 4th gen over 200fwhp.

Catts expects to sell cams for around $900, when they're offered.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:30 PM
SLOW

No NA honda is going to see 200 fwhp without major head/valvetrain work (except CL-S/TL-S) don't kid yourself. Case in point, a guy I know is selling an LS/VTEC engine with B16A2 head milled .033", ITR cams, and adjustable cam gears, the engine puts down 166 FWHP and 127 tq. FYI, the big dog NA hondas, like leevon eisele and tony shagday, put down between 200-250 NA hp.... and those are the fastest NA hondas in the land. Their cars are just so quick because they weigh like 1900 lbs. The engine I mentioned above ran a 13.41@104.1 in a stripped out civic hatch on slicks. So its not massive power they have, it's minimal weight that is making them quick. 200+ NA HP is above what most any normal person can afford to make in a FWD honda, it's not at all cheap like you suggest it is.

Just because 52,349,834 intakes and exhausts are available for them doesn't mean those intakes and exhausts are any better than the few available for the Maxima... It just means that it will make your decision on what to buy that much more difficult. Case in point
Old 08-19-2001, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Just because 52,349,834 intakes and exhausts are available for them doesn't mean those intakes and exhausts are any better than the few available for the Maxima... It just means that it will make your decision on what to buy that much more difficult. Case in point
yes but i love competition, it helps us consumers, good prices on intakes can make a more costly one lower its price to compete, which in my mind is a very good thing when buying things
Old 08-19-2001, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Its not... it has most of what you need and not much more... i dont get it when civic people spend 500 to get something that gives them 3hp... check out import tuner... the magazine... they have the simple mods section or somethin.. where they take a stock Civic or eclipse and add some bolt on mods and test the fwhp.. and in the end they gain like 7hp after spending 1000...
I love the mods for the max.. simple relatively cheap and very cost effective
Old 08-19-2001, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
Its not... it has most of what you need and not much more... i dont get it when civic people spend 500 to get something that gives them 3hp... check out import tuner... the magazine... they have the simple mods section or somethin.. where they take a stock Civic or eclipse and add some bolt on mods and test the fwhp.. and in the end they gain like 7hp after spending 1000...
I love the mods for the max.. simple relatively cheap and very cost effective
ya ive seen those, i just like the idea of opening a magazine and seeing stuff for me, i remember once they had like a $1K comptech exhaust worth like 5 hp, it was pitiful