General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Attn: ALL Newbies/Lurkers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 07:56 AM

You all are killing me...too funny

One time I had a thrid generation Maxima, but started making this bad ticking sound when cold. Turned out to be the VTEC sproket cam, so I changed the weight of my oil and it fixed it. Then I could run 14.2 quarter miles in my automagic. It was a true 4DSC I think that stood for "4 Door Super Coupe".
Old 08-15-2001, 08:18 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

What intake will give me the most horsepower?
Old 08-15-2001, 08:31 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by mzmtg
What's a VB mod?
I thought VB stood for Visual Basics
Old 08-15-2001, 08:40 AM

Keving ,

Your going to want to hook up a "HAI" or Hot Air Intake.
Since a car's engine bay is so incredibly clean, you really don't need an air filter. THe car makers just put them on to reduce noise.

You should get some small diameter tubing from a hardware store and hook it into you existing intake. Then route the tube to the hottest area of your engine. I chose an area right next to the block away from a lot of air movement.

The molecules in the heated air are moving faster, therefore the air moves faster to the carburator. It is the same concept of "RAM" Resistant Allocation Metering that Pontiac puts in their firebirds.

Anyway, with a good HAI setup, you should see at least a 19-26 RWHP gain if you were to DINO your car.

Let me know if you need help. My setup only cast me $340 and took 2 min to install.
Old 08-15-2001, 08:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by FloMax
Keving ,

Your going to want to hook up a "HAI" or Hot Air Intake.
Since a car's engine bay is so incredibly clean, you really don't need an air filter. THe car makers just put them on to reduce noise.

You should get some small diameter tubing from a hardware store and hook it into you existing intake. Then route the tube to the hottest area of your engine. I chose an area right next to the block away from a lot of air movement.

The molecules in the heated air are moving faster, therefore the air moves faster to the carburator. It is the same concept of "RAM" Resistant Allocation Metering that Pontiac puts in their firebirds.

Anyway, with a good HAI setup, you should see at least a 19-26 RWHP gain if you were to DINO your car.

Let me know if you need help. My setup only cast me $340 and took 2 min to install.
Nice info, Cary! Let me give it a try and I'll email you if I need help.

By the way, what does "SC" stand for?
Old 08-15-2001, 09:08 AM

Super Clean, BTW, good one Flomax.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Nice info, Cary! Let me give it a try and I'll email you if I need help.

By the way, what does "SC" stand for?
Obviously "SC" stands for "Subcompact Car" That is what class the Maxima is I think.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

My car has 75000 miles on it. My friend told me I need to get the timing belt changed, how much does this cost?

How much HP will I get from one heat range colder spark plugs?

I got:
Intake = 10HP
Ehaust = 10HP
Y-pipe = 15HP
My max now has 225 HP, and no I don't know what a dyno is.

Which intake is better, PR CAI or Stillen-style?
Old 08-15-2001, 09:31 AM

GXE: Grand Exciting Edition
SE:Sports Edition
GLE:Grand Luxury Edition
Old 08-15-2001, 09:42 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

What is a cat and why is a feline doing in my car?
Old 08-15-2001, 10:40 AM

Kev is your car lowered? It looks nice. Redmaxpa007 is a post *****. Bill is evil. I am Doug.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Preach on Brother Cheston!

Btw, Cheston made some very good suggestions. Don't turn this thread into SPAM. Kev, are you listening?
Old 08-15-2001, 11:13 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by medicsonic
Kev is your car lowered? It looks nice. Redmaxpa007 is a post *****. Bill is evil. I am Doug.

that is pimp....~~~post pimp~~~
Old 08-15-2001, 11:51 AM

Hey Cheston

You forgot the best site for Maxima information:

http://www.maximadriver.com/

And some other good sites:
http://www.greghome.com/
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/

A few more:
http://www.brianv.net
http://www.performanceix.com/
Old 08-15-2001, 11:53 AM
Ford Only.

+
Old 08-15-2001, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Good points, but stop calling me Doug.
Ok Doug

Very well put Cheston. I couldnt have said it any better.

I mean Mr. Ugly Wing Man Sir.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:24 PM

dang thanx cheston, im going to have 6 clocks installed today. the one that came with my car is for standard cali, my 1st aftermarket one for NY, one for Oklahoma, third one for London, 4th one for Hong Kong, 5th one for India, and the 6th one to keep track just for the hell of it! one more question..

WHAT THE HELL IS GAS?
Old 08-15-2001, 01:36 PM

Holla

yeah, that's funny. I used to be one of the guys who asked the same question as everyone else the exact same day but I have learned the errors of my ways. I never ragged on anyone else's ride unless they deserved it. Also, thanks to everyone who has answered my dumb questions that they have already answered a thousand times and will answer a thousand times more. I'll try to pass on some on my knowledge to some of the noobs on the board.

Peace.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:39 PM
NeverEnough

first off...

I was a newbie, and I have never asked a question without thinking, or at least searching, though I have seen many that do (except for that "not a newbie anymore" post, but I was really bored at work and wanted to share my enthusiasm with you guys). Secondly, do NOT group me in with individuals that do not think, I detest that, stereotyping that is. Secondly, did you ever stop and think that it only makes you, collectively, look snobby, dogmatic, immature and all together mean. Is that really what you want? It seems to me that there is no requisite maturity necessary for one to gain rank in the wide-world of the Maxima.org forums or I would still be a newbie, as would most of the rest of us. Thirdly, I do appreciate these forums, and I thank Jaime wholeheartedly for his time, effort and expenses he donates to keep those of us who have nothing better to do with our days at work, or our nights at home, than sit at the computer typing about our cars. This brings me to my fourth point; this forum's purpose, I believe, is to bring together like-minded individuals so that they may share their knowledge and experiences, to help others, and to meet others with similar interests. The forum's purpose is NOT to give some of us a false sense of importance because we have owned a Max longer, and know more about it. It is not necessary to make fun of people who don't know as much and ask stupid questions; life has a funny way of teaching those people, and in the long run, they'll get what is coming to them. Fifth, the purpose of my post is not to sit on my high horse and say, "shame on you for laughing at so-and-so" I understand that this is funny to you, and that it is all in good fun, but don't judge people by the title under their name, or the color of their skin, or the clothes they wear. We are ALL guilty of it to some degree or another, I know I am, I have a hard time not judging guys who drive "riced-up" Hondas. But I try not to, and you guys, being the "role models" for the forum, should do what you can to set a good example for others. I agree that you guys do know more about the Maxima, and maybe even more about cars, and you do deserve respect for that in-and-of-itself, but any other respect you have to earn. Let your actions speak, as someone said earlier, and there will be no need to start a post like this in the future.

And before anyone says it, I'm not ****ed, or griping, just talking, sharing my opinion the same way you guys are, so don't tell me to lighten up, I'm already light. I know I'm not required to read these posts, and if I don't like it, I know I can go somewhere else, but you started this, remember that.

Lee

Old 08-15-2001, 02:07 PM
Ford Only.

I will not even read this book...Way too long...
Old 08-15-2001, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
I will not even read this book...Way too long...
Guess that's one newbie lesson that still needs to be learned. Either keep it short, or seperate long paragraphs, so it's easier to read.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:11 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Someone wants some scooby snax..

Originally posted by breaux124
Hey Cheston

You forgot the best site for Maxima information:

http://www.maximadriver.com/

And some other good sites:
http://www.greghome.com/
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/

A few more:
http://www.brianv.net
http://www.performanceix.com/
Old 08-15-2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
Pay Respect to the Elders of the Forum. They've been here longer than you have, and yes. they DO know more than you.
Pay respect to EVERYBODY would be more like it, Cheston. And while I agree in general with your comment, I have to admit that lurkers and newbies show up here from time to time with backgrounds, experience and information that far exceed mine.

Frankly, I try not to ascribe too much importance to a person's forum status. I'm much more interested in what they have to say and how they choose to say it.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:49 PM

Re: first off...

Originally posted by NeverEnough
I was a newbie, ... posts, and if I don't like it, I know I can go somewhere else, but you started this, remember that.

Lee
But you aren't a newbie. BTW, alot of questions that people get 'dumped' on are those questions that can be answered by READING THE OWNERS MANUAL.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:06 PM
Ford Only.

Maybe we should put together a nice post on all the things we want Newbies to do and make it a sticky for all newbies to read.And just a question to everyone do you even bother to read those long posts? I dont...And another thing I have learned is that roadkill stories are played out.I used to post em I admit but now NO I keep em to myself.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
well. i've noticed lately that there are ALOT of new guys here on the forum. so i thought it would be a good time to say some pointers to those that are enjoying this site now, as i have, in the past years...

1) Before posting questions! Check the MaxFAQs and use the search function (if you can understand quantum physics.. you can do the search)

2) Don't be dissing anyone's car unless you yourself, have more or the same amount of mods put into your car as the car you're going to diss. Take example of this mornings kind words by:
melanthius (a newbie) :
"chebosto, that is one ugly aftermarket spoiler. sorry man, but it had to be said"
Ahh yes.. well. everyone knows I'm CEO and President of the Aftermarket Wing Club for Maxs. AWCM. so. chalk up one strike for him... but i'm sure, Melanthius didn't know any better.... and he'll start behaving now..

3) Pay Respect to the Elders of the Forum. They've been here longer than you have, and yes. they DO know more than you. So you can take your "I'm running 15 pounds boost on my Maxima!" (unless your name is phil ) or your "Oh just do a little head work to get to 3.2L" comments to yourself...

and finally

4) Dont be dissin' the forum. because #1: Jamie (aka Jambo) pays outta his own pocket to get this place up and running and we should respect him and give him LOTZ of thanks and props for hosting this place where we can all gather and flourish as a community. (well except for doug. he likes to ruffle things up. but thats cool)

Thank you. and good day.

Cheston
(aka. Ugly Wing ****)
Well I'm not as seasoned as most of you are but I visit often as I can. I hear you Cheston, This a better place with out the B/S! Thanks for the forum jambo! Oh yeh chesbo, its cool to have wind up max!!! LOL! just kidding I love it. PEACE!
Old 08-15-2001, 08:56 PM

wow it appears i missed quite a conversation here, the said a lot in one day, i am proud to say no one has ever dissed on my car except for those chrome/altezza haters, once a again personal preference, did yall see the novel on the last page, maybe we should put that in the "maxima.org essay forum"
Old 08-15-2001, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Cutlr7

that is some funny stuff, I am the president of the 4X4 Maxima club, but not for long, hehe.
Jason

stock springs here too!
Old 08-15-2001, 11:06 PM

DONT FORGET

THOSE PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT TYPE IN ALL CAPS MEANS THAT THEY WILL GET A FASTER REPLY...

CAN YOU MAKE A SUPERCHARGER FROM A LEAF-BLOWER? HUH, HUH, CAN YOU?
Old 08-16-2001, 03:11 AM

Re: DONT FORGET

Originally posted by The_quorum
THOSE PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT TYPE IN ALL CAPS MEANS THAT THEY WILL GET A FASTER REPLY...

CAN YOU MAKE A SUPERCHARGER FROM A LEAF-BLOWER? HUH, HUH, CAN YOU?
SHHHHHHH STOP YELLING....J/P

actually someone did hook up a leaf blower to a civic on a dyno, gained around 50 horse... and i've seen some eclectro charger thing on the net before..
Old 08-16-2001, 05:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 08-16-2001, 06:35 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: DONT FORGET

Originally posted by mingo

SHHHHHHH STOP YELLING....J/P

actually someone did hook up a leaf blower to a civic on a dyno, gained around 50 horse... and i've seen some eclectro charger thing on the net before..
I saw that too but it wasn't 50 horses. and that wouldn't work too well too because your engine wouldn't be able to change it's fuel supply level enough.
Old 08-16-2001, 12:30 PM
NeverEnough

point taken....

but you must also understand that I obviously care a great deal about the topic, and felt it necessary to go into such detail, hence the long post. Oh and dmontzmax, I'm sorry it's so long, I never realized reading was that big an undertaking for you, do you have to drive really slowly so that you can read the signs, or do you have someone do it for you j/j?

Lee

Originally posted by breaux124

Guess that's one newbie lesson that still needs to be learned. Either keep it short, or seperate long paragraphs, so it's easier to read.

Old 08-16-2001, 12:50 PM
Ford Only.

No I can read signs just fine and I drive fast enough.It is just that you dont need to tell your life story in a post buddy.Save it for your book.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:18 PM
NeverEnough

agreed...

as long as you reserve your opinions for someone who cares, if you can find anyone. If you had anything worthwhile at all to say, you wouldn't waste my time, and others, bashing on me. Point: if you don't have something constructive, or at the very least, original to say, don't post.

Lee

No I can read signs just fine and I drive fast enough.It is just that you dont need to tell your life story in a post buddy.Save it for your book.

Old 08-16-2001, 01:29 PM
Ford Only.

Back the train up buddy before you go to far.You think I was bashing you? If you would look back in the posts I said nothing directly to you.So dont try to get crazy with me.I beleive I originally said "I am not going to read this it is way too long" thats it...
Old 08-16-2001, 01:52 PM
NeverEnough

just f**ckin' with you, the way you did with book comment, no harm meant.

Back the train up buddy before you go to far.You think I was bashing you? If you would look back in the posts I said nothing directly to you.So dont try to get crazy with me.I beleive I originally said "I am not going to read this it is way too long" thats it...

Old 08-16-2001, 02:10 PM
Ford Only.

No harm done! I just thought you were trying to get crazy I didnt know you were messing around.Play on!
Old 08-16-2001, 03:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You've gotta see this.

Oh my God, check this out!!!

http://maxima.cardomain.com/member_p...7&cat=25&val=1
Old 08-16-2001, 04:05 PM

I have 15.1 pounds of boost

Quick Reply: Attn: ALL Newbies/Lurkers...