General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If anyone cares, the Oil Analysis Spreadsheet is updated.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 07:14 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Please take a gander at the sticky in the top of this forum and make knowledge your anti-drug.

Amsoil doesn't look like it should be used on Honda motors for more than a year due to the way they wear....... But that's still up for debate.......

A special thanks to all members who have participated, especially the additions of dot org members got rice? and BriGuyMax. We now have analyses from 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen Maximas, as well as an "evil" TL and "the grandma" Grand Marquis with a V-8 representing the domestics.....
Old 11-09-2001, 09:08 AM

*bump*

And to those who have participated:

If anything looks wrong or doesn't describe the whole story, drop me a line and let me know.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:09 AM
Administrator

the fact you had to bump it meant no one cared
Old 11-09-2001, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I care.

I got my oil analysis kit from Blackstone last week.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
the fact you had to bump it meant no one cared
FYI: It was an old message that I edited to save bandwidth. However, editing doesn't kick the post up to the top of the forum, so I had to make the *bump* to get it to the top.

but, overall, you're right
Old 11-09-2001, 09:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

There's an oil thread at the top of this forum? I never pay attention to those threads.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I care too! I just ordered my analysis kit. I'm about 2k miles from a scheduled (by mileage) change and I hope to hear great results to support extending my interval.....Peace!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

See Bill, doesn't this kind of post make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever
I care too! I just ordered my analysis kit. I'm about 2k miles from a scheduled (by mileage) change and I hope to hear great results to support extending my interval.....Peace!
Old 11-09-2001, 11:25 AM

sorta

at least it's a glimmer of hope.
Old 11-09-2001, 11:40 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Nah dont really care
Old 11-09-2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Please take a gander at the sticky in the top of this forum and make knowledge your anti-drug.

Amsoil doesn't look like it should be used on Honda motors for more than a year due to the way they wear....... But that's still up for debate.......

A special thanks to all members who have participated, especially the additions of dot org members got rice? and BriGuyMax. We now have analyses from 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen Maximas, as well as an "evil" TL and "the grandma" Grand Marquis with a V-8 representing the domestics.....
How about an executive summary? They taught us how critical they are in B-school. Also stats need to be both reliable and valid.

Not sure why Honda gets slammed, they seem to last a long time.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

Shumax = civicpride
Old 11-09-2001, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Shumax = civicpride

Now THAT is funny.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:03 PM

Old 11-09-2001, 07:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: ?

Is this more of that "tough guy behind the keyboard talk again"??

Originally posted by shumax
Who the %uck is Mustang99? I mean, $hit folks. I have been on this Maxima list since early 99' and some of the folks in here really get to me--yea,yea, I know that you don't care. Certainly I don't post that much to notice. However, I have given up trying to voice opinions of others. I just don't get the newer folks who think they have it all figured out. $hit I can remember Andy helping me pick out my Borbet's back in the Spring of 99. Now that was good. Then we have folks like a F-ing $hit-stang tell me what's up? Go to the Ford list for chirst sakes. Your **** isn't worthy pal! in fact your car flat out sucks. Why on earth would you buy a rustang, let alone a ****ty V6!? I think I would rather have Ford's great Probe..oh wait that V6 is a ***** too.

SHUMAX
Old 12-17-2001, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by pmar

How about an executive summary? They taught us how critical they are in B-school. Also stats need to be both reliable and valid.

Not sure why Honda gets slammed, they seem to last a long time.

Not slamming Honda, just illustrating that Nissan's don't wear internally as Honda's appear to. It doesn't mean Hondas won't last as long, they just wear more. There is no Honda slamming going on here, just a note that using extended drain oils on Hondas needs to be approached with more caution then with Nissans......

Stats need to be both reliable and valid? WTF is that comment coming from?

The samples were sent to an independent lab and commented upon from their perspective. If you don't like their comments, that is your problem, not one I can comment upon or rectify.

Plus if you read the entire sticky post and the spreadsheet, the objectivity and recommendations would be obvious.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:12 AM

Changes:

The only real spreadsheet change is Amsoil 10W/30 results after 13k on one oil filter on my 94 Maxima. My favorite quote from Blackstone: "The oil was not in use too long."

They almost seem surprised........
Old 12-18-2001, 04:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

At the risk of getting flamed....

Hey Bill - first of all I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into this spreadsheet. Please don't take this as a personal attack - just one person's objective look at what you've presented, that's all.

But I would like to stand up for those of us who do change their oil every 3-4K miles. I looked over the spreadsheet carefully, looked at all the numbers and comments and am not at all convinced that changing your oil at 3-4K miles is a waste of money as you and others frequently see fit to point out.

Let me just quote a few comments taken directly from the spreadsheet and add a few of my thoughts after each:

for the 99 Max
" Silicon may show a fault at air filtration." - MAY is not conclusive one way or another - so this can't be ruled out as a result of a long change interval.

" Oxidation elevated" - this is something you want to minimize, not take to the limit.

for the 94 Max
"Universal averages are still appropriate for the wear comparisons." - I want better than average protection. I drive my car hard and, in case I have to keep it for a while, want it to run in tip top shape at high mileage. I'm not happy with "average" wear levels and hence "average" engine performance at high mileage.

for the 99 TL
"Insolubles were to limits so oil filtration is questionable." - Why is oil filtration questionable? It would probably not be questionable more times than not if the oil was changed more frequently.

"This oil is too abrasive for any more" - I would never, ever, want to get to this point.

In short, I agree that for NORMAL wear and tear levels, under NORMAL driving habits, most people could let their oil change interval go to 5-6K miles. But I drive my car hard, and want better than normal wear and tear, and this is why I see a clear value in a 3-4K change interval. I don't at all agree it's a waste of money.

Again I really appreciate the time, effort and expense you've put into this study.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:00 AM

Re: At the risk of getting flamed....

Originally posted by sleepermax
But I would like to stand up for those of us who do change their oil every 3-4K miles. I looked over the spreadsheet carefully, looked at all the numbers and comments and am not at all convinced that changing your oil at 3-4K miles is a waste of money as you and others frequently see fit to point out.

And you'll notice at the end of the thread I conclude that it is usually a waste of money, and at other spots in the thread go out of my way to stipulate that driving conditions and oil filters play a huge role in drain intervals.

for the 99 Max
" Silicon may show a fault at air filtration." - MAY is not conclusive one way or another - so this can't be ruled out as a result of a long change interval.

If you read that carefully, you'll see that high silicon levels were present both before AND after the oil change. Since both consitently showed an elevated level, it is most likely due to an air filter problem, not going extended drain intervals. Since that was the only thing out of spec, Blackstone's experience indicated to them an air filter problem since the other values were inline. I will be taking another sample after 1 year of Amsoil in this vehicle next week, and am interested to see if it has gotten worse or better.

" Oxidation elevated" - this is something you want to minimize, not take to the limit.

It's also a poor choice of words, as they don't try to put it in lamen's terms to further identify why or how it is elevated (inferior filtration, too many miles, etc.). Please notice they also state "Normal wear levels". This is why I don't like Oil Analyzer's, Inc. They are not very personal or interested in helping you understand what's happening.

for the 94 Max
"Universal averages are still appropriate for the wear comparisons." - I want better than average protection. I drive my car hard and, in case I have to keep it for a while, want it to run in tip top shape at high mileage. I'm not happy with "average" wear levels and hence "average" engine performance at high mileage.

Well, sorry, but friction will always be present no matter what lubrication you use. Things wear, it is a simple fact of nature. If you want to spend more resources and time trying to hit a moving target, that is your choice. The point of the spreadsheet is to prove to closed-minded thinkers that damage is being done to an engine rather than just "normal wear".

for the 99 TL
"Insolubles were to limits so oil filtration is questionable." - Why is oil filtration questionable? It would probably not be questionable more times than not if the oil was changed more frequently.

"This oil is too abrasive for any more" - I would never, ever, want to get to this point.

This vehicle was simply a lesson learned on how long to go on Amsoil given its specific driving conditions. What wasn't anticipated is the amount of bearing wear that occurs normally in Honda motors. I didn't anticipate that, and have learned from that mistake. Now, it will be replaced on time rather than mileage. And, still, no damage occurred to the engine.

In short, I agree that for NORMAL wear and tear levels, under NORMAL driving habits, most people could let their oil change interval go to 5-6K miles. But I drive my car hard, and want better than normal wear and tear, and this is why I see a clear value in a 3-4K change interval. I don't at all agree it's a waste of money.

I can about guarantee you no degree of wear would occur if you stretched it out to 5-6k miles on a good synthetic. You're welcome to participate in the spreadsheet and see if that's accurate or not. Bottom line: you should do with what you feel comfortable with. The spreadsheet gives assurances to those who are considering trying extended drain intervals but are scared of the consequences to an engine rather than constantly changing their oil.

Again I really appreciate the time, effort and expense you've put into this study.
Thank you, I appreciate your adult presentation of the facts and your opinions and the chance to address them. We need more of that around here.