General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

intake update long

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 10:12 PM
mrloyd

For those of you who care, i built the intake extension i was talking about. Basically what i wanted was something go connect the stillen intake to the throttle body without all the garbage nissan put in there. Sorta like the CAI, but without the CA. I called a plastic fabracator who told me they could def do it, but i decided to try myself. Heres what i used: About 4" of 3"diameter pvc, two .5in brass fittings for the crankcase hose and other hose behind tb, 1 eighth in. fitting with barb to attach small vaccume hose, a piece of rubber plumbing junction to join components and some heater hose, (the stock hoses don't really fit back on,except for the vaccume hose.
Basically, you cut the pvc to the appropriate length (3-5) inches depending on preference, using a vise and hacksaw gives best results. Make sure to buff the edges so no plastic ends up in motor.
Using a drill press, drilled 1 .5 in hole, and two .75 in holes to mount the fittings.
Remove all hoses for crankcase vent and otherwise from stock resonator in between tb and maf, remove any wire ties, remove resonator.
Remove boot from tb and attach to one end of pvc using hose clamp. This is a very tight fit. Don't try to fit the pvc into the boot while attached to tb.
Next attach plumbing rubber thingamadoo (home depot pn on request) to other end of pvc with hose clamp and attach other end of this rubber to maf using hose clamp.
Bolt intake back to tb and cut heater hose to appropriate length to reattach the hoses to the crankcase vent and other stuff.
Reattach all wire harnesses and tighten all hoseclamps.
This cost me about 16 bucks and took about 2 hours to do.
Results:
1. Looks better
2. More room in engine
3. Butt dyno analysis revealed mixed opinion. Car seemed to accellerate more effortlessly, but difficult to say if faster. Felt like better low end, and a little extra boost at around 3000 rpm.
4. no mil problems or other issues with one exception. Strange whistling noise intermittently. Only happens when engine is cycling down, and oddly enough, when power steering is going. Took unit off and sealed all fittings with silicone and checked all hose clamps but still there. Sort of annoying, would like to figure out what this is.

If anyone else has tried this and had this issue, or can think of anything i have done here that is horribly stupid let me know, otherwise i feel this is and easy cheap mod that is beneficial to anyone with the stillen and jwp.

Old 10-24-2000, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the writeup. I think I will try and do something similar sometime next week. One question: Do you thing it would be possible to connect the PVC straight to the TB the same way you connected it to the MAF? This would eliminate that boot, and theoretically create a smoother path for the air. Good work, I'm glad someone else did it before I try. I think this will give me more room to put in a heat shield...
Old 10-24-2000, 10:29 PM
mrloyd

The reason i didn't do that is two fold. First off i just didnt think of it. In retrospect though, it was very hard to find parts for joining things period, much less things that were two different sizes and for some reason it seemed like the maf was larger than the tb. If its not then you can use the same piece i used to join the other things, provided you use a little longer pvc. The joiner thing i used is in the plumbing section, looks like a 4 in long rubber hose with 3in diameter, which is then covered in metal and has hose clamps at either end. I removed the metal because it got all screwed up from trying to have such a short peice change in diameter. Works fine and looks better with out.

Old 10-24-2000, 11:18 PM

got pics? :)

n.m.
Old 10-24-2000, 11:34 PM
mrloyd

nooooo

Sorry, no pics. Have no camera. Max cost too much. Looks like instead of big square box inbetween maf and tb, there is about 1.5 inch of white pvc 3in pipe with brass fittings and hoses coming out. Really doesn't look s----y, plan to paint it red if i decide to keep it. Want to get rid of whistle noise. This is such a cheap mod that i hope alot of people try it and we can figure out what causes the noise.

Old 10-25-2000, 12:08 AM

My friend just called and bailed on our dirtbiking trip tomorrow morning, so I'll try and do it before I go to class. With any luck my Dremel will come sometime tomorrow, that should help a lot.