General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Camber Plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 11:12 AM

Does anybody besides Eibach (because they're hardly adj.) and Stillen (because that's way too much money) make camber plates for the Maxima? I was thinking of getting the Weapon R Coilovers and KYB AGX shocks (if they ever get released) and I'll need camber plates for such a drop.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:08 PM
pinhead139

What does a chamber plate do for the suspension anyway?

Old 08-21-2001, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by pinhead139
What does a chamber plate do for the suspension anyway?
As you lower a car, you sharpen the angle between the struts and the ground pushing the wheels into an undesirable angle (to see an example of this, check out how your tires react when you jack up the front of your car) Camber plates adjust the angle of the tire against the road by adjusting the angle at which the strut/shock attaches to the car. Some sit on top of the strut tower inside your engine bay for easy adjustment (Like the Stillen ones, or the ones that come with the Cattman coilovers) and some sit under it so you can only adjust them with the strut removed. Since we have a rear beam suspension on the Maxima camber is only adjustable in the front.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey ...

so what's wrong with the Eibach's then? It doesn't give sufficient camber adjustment? I'm wondering what 2 do with my GC coilovers ... I don't really want 2 pay $400 for the Stillen units ... tkx!

Originally posted by SithMax

As you lower a car, you sharpen the angle between the struts and the ground pushing the wheels into an undesirable angle (to see an example of this, check out how your tires react when you jack up the front of your car) Camber plates adjust the angle of the tire against the road by adjusting the angle at which the strut/shock attaches to the car. Some sit on top of the strut tower inside your engine bay for easy adjustment (Like the Stillen ones, or the ones that come with the Cattman coilovers) and some sit under it so you can only adjust them with the strut removed. Since we have a rear beam suspension on the Maxima camber is only adjustable in the front.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:16 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The Eibach "camber correction kit" is not a set of "camber plates." It is an eccentric bolt that replaces the upper strut mounting bolt on the hub carrier. This bolt can be rotated to change the relationship of the hub carrier to the strut, viola camber adjustment. A "camber plate," like Stillen's, is a plate that replaces the entire upper strut mount with a device that allows the top of the strut to be moved inward or outward.

Eibach gets you about 1 degree either way...Stillen gets you 4 degrees or so.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by ohboiya
I don't really want 2 pay $400 for the Stillen units ... tkx!

Woah! Bling bling! You need to talk to another sales person.

Stillen's kit is 2 degrees.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Woah! Bling bling! You need to talk to another sales person.

Stillen's kit is 2 degrees.
Hey ... Hamilton gave me $350 shipped .. what'd u pay? he said it was 3 degrees .... do we need that much? do we even need 2? I don't want 2 completely slam my ride ... just want 2 have a 1" wheel gap at most ... but be able 2 raise it for the Toronto winters.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:29 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hey ... Hamilton gave me $350 shipped .. what'd u pay? he said it was 3 degrees .... do we need that much? do we even need 2? I don't want 2 completely slam my ride ... just want 2 have a 1" wheel gap at most ... but be able 2 raise it for the Toronto winters.
I don't believe it can go to 3 degree. It's marked for 3 degrees, but I don't think it goes that far. I could be wrong......

$350 from Hamilton? Hmmmmmmmm....... Let's just say we paid less than that.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:52 PM

I don't believe it can go to 3 degree. It's marked for 3 degrees, but I don't think it goes that far. I could be wrong......

Okay, what did you pay? And right from the Stillen catalog:
"Once you've lowered your Maxima, added our front and rear Strut Tower Braces and rear Anti-Sway Bar, its time to look at the front tire camber. STILLEN Adjustable Camber Plates allows you to set your camber to specific settings. In most high-performance driving situations, 1 to 2 degrees of negative camber is desirable to maintain a wide tire "footprint" as you fly through the corners. For autocross or other competitive use the wider the footprint, the higher the "g" forces you car can pull while cornering. Once installed, camber adjustments can be made from from under the hood, without disassembling the suspension. The precision made anodized-finished Camber Plates are machined at STILLEN. Race quality hardware is included."

That's word for word (including the double 'from') from the catalog. It doesn't specifically say it's range, but I've heard 3 from several people. If it's marked for 3 like you say I don't see why it couldn't go to 3 or at least 2 and some extra. I'm not sure I like those though. The Cattman plates look MUCH nicer. I think I'll email him and see if I could get just the plates that he sells with his coilover suspension. It they're cheaper than the Stillen I'll go for those.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:04 PM

ummm ... can u b less of a tease? PLZ!!! ... I won't tell n e 1 what u paid .. I'm just going 2 mention 2 Hamilton what u got it 4 .. he can search sales history @ Stillen 2 determine if I'm lying or not .. I just would like him 2 match yours

did I say Please yet?

Old 08-21-2001, 05:06 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

ummm ... can u b less of a tease? PLZ!!! ... I won't tell n e 1 what u paid .. I'm just going 2 mention 2 Hamilton what u got it 4 .. he can search sales history @ Stillen 2 determine if I'm lying or not .. I just would like him 2 match yours

did I say Please yet?

I paid $20.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:10 PM

$350 sounds right.

When I was playing with the plates, I remember I wasn't able to go all the way to the 3rd long tick. I'm assuming each long tick is 1 degree, and I could only to 2 and then some (not fully to 3).
I think he's lying because he got a deal that he's not supposed to share. But hey, such is life. You're not supposed to tell and you're not telling. I can respect that.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:11 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Man..... I overwrote myself..... oh well. Posts will be in cyberspace (with the price).
Old 08-21-2001, 05:17 PM

Man..... I overwrote myself..... oh well. Posts will be in cyberspace (with the price).
Okay, so regardless of how much you paid for them (we're all ears by the way) are you happy with them? How exactly do you set the camber? I get how it's physically done, but how do you know it's accurate once it's set?
Old 08-21-2001, 05:24 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You should get an alignment and have the shop adjust your camber.

There are tick marks on the plate. I'm assuming the long tick marks represent 1 degree. Just adjust until you're satisfied and tighten the hex screws with a hex key.

As for the deleted post... there are 3 long tick marks on each side of the 0 degree mark. I remember only being able to go 2 and then some... never the 3rd tick. I'm not sure how accurate the ticks are but I'm assuming it's 1 degree for each long tick.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:46 PM

Stillen Camber Plates are that much?! I swore they went for $175 or so.

Anyways, Ingralls make a camber bolt for the Maxima. Its about $30 and allows +/-1 degree of camber adjustment. Im not quite sure what the Stillen C.P. allow. I thought it was up to -3 degrees of camber. I could be wrong.

The Maxima is allowed to have up to almost 1 degree of negative camber and still be fine.

You will always need to have a little bit of negative camber for handling reasons.

I right now have -2 degrees of camber with my GC's. I dont have camber bolts nor camber plates. I am still fine with this but i will get some uneven tire wear.

If you drop the car 1.75" you will not need anything. If the alignment shop is good, they can correct it as close as possible and still be good. If you drop to 2" you will need the camber bolts.

Right now my drop up front is about 2.25" and i had terrible toe-out. This is not suppose to happen but for some odd reason it did with mine, so watch out.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Synki
Stillen Camber Plates are that much?! I swore they went for $175 or so.

Anyways, Ingralls make a camber bolt for the Maxima. Its about $30 and allows +/-1 degree of camber adjustment. Im not quite sure what the Stillen C.P. allow. I thought it was up to -3 degrees of camber. I could be wrong.

The Maxima is allowed to have up to almost 1 degree of negative camber and still be fine.

You will always need to have a little bit of negative camber for handling reasons.

I right now have -2 degrees of camber with my GC's. I dont have camber bolts nor camber plates. I am still fine with this but i will get some uneven tire wear.

If you drop the car 1.75" you will not need anything. If the alignment shop is good, they can correct it as close as possible and still be good. If you drop to 2" you will need the camber bolts.

Right now my drop up front is about 2.25" and i had terrible toe-out. This is not suppose to happen but for some odd reason it did with mine, so watch out.
Like I said, I plan on the Weapon R Coilovers with AGX shocks (that plan has changed three times so I'm in no rush)with about 2"-3" drop to lower my center of gravity as much as possible with a stiff ride for the best handling characteristics I can get. I'm definately going to need the plates but I can't afford $350 for them but need more than 1 degree so I might get screwed into buying them. We'll see.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:28 PM

high

i have weaponr coilover and tockiko shocks i am drooped 3.5 inches would u suggest me getting camber plates
Old 08-21-2001, 10:42 PM

Re: high

Originally posted by geomax
i have weaponr coilover and tockiko shocks i am drooped 3.5 inches would u suggest me getting camber plates
Absolutely. I'd check your tires for uneven wear. What happens is the "camber" becomes so maladjusted that your tire meets up with road crooked and you ride around on the corners of your tire, reducing your contact with the road, which will detract from handling and traction. Plus, you'll have to replace your tires more often and it could eventually bend things if its too bad. (I think)