General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To all those with the Supercharger ... what else do I need to do or buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When one install the V2 Stillen SC ... what else is needed to be installed with it?

Why does e/o buy a blow-off valve? Does the kit not come with one?

Also ... what else is recommended ... intercooler? Any other engine work required?

Brake upgrade?

I'm seriously considering this b/c we've located a dealer who will honour all warranty even with this perf upgrade!

Maybe I didn't waste my $$$ on the 7 year bumper 2 bumper (sort of) warranty!

final question ... how big is the box it comes in & what does shipping generally cost?

tkx!
Old 08-22-2001, 12:17 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Searching will lead to lots of results.
Old 08-22-2001, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Searching will lead to lots of results.
search is not the most functional feature here unfortunately .. can u sticky this?
Old 08-22-2001, 02:19 PM

E, are you really considering to buy a SC?? What dealer will do this for you?
Originally posted by ohboiya
When one install the V2 Stillen SC ... what else is needed to be installed with it?

Also ... what else is recommended ... intercooler? Any other engine work required?

Brake upgrade?

I'm seriously considering this b/c we've located a dealer who will honour all warranty even with this perf upgrade!

final question ... how big is the box it comes in & what does shipping generally cost?

tkx!
Old 08-22-2001, 02:30 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

search is not the most functional feature here unfortunately .. can u sticky this?
Hmm..I just searched and found LOTS of info about BOV's, superchargers, reliability issues, etc.
Try using more than one keyword and search does work...you just have to use the right combo of words to get what you are looking for.
Old 08-22-2001, 02:47 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Oh really? Let's make a bet. If I can't find info about superchargers with the search with ONE keyword, I will personally drive to Canada and install my SC on your car.

If I do find results, you owe me a GReddy catback.

Deal?
Old 08-22-2001, 02:51 PM

no deal ... i found s/t in the sticky but it's 4 the automajiks ... let's fewl around w/ this sucker!

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Oh really? Let's make a bet. If I can't find info about superchargers with the search with ONE keyword, I will personally drive to Canada and install my SC on your car.

If I do find results, you owe me a GReddy catback.

Deal?
Old 08-22-2001, 03:17 PM

all right ... I did my DD (due diligence) ... but one thing I didn't come across was exhaust work in conjunction with this ... I know Cattman sells 3" y-pipes for the SC'ed Max ...

Is this necessary? Kev .. did u upgrade your y-pipe? or was yours always the 3"?
Old 08-22-2001, 03:21 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

all right ... I did my DD (due diligence) ... but one thing I didn't come across was exhaust work in conjunction with this ... I know Cattman sells 3" y-pipes for the SC'ed Max ...

Is this necessary? Kev .. did u upgrade your y-pipe? or was yours always the 3"?
I have the Stillen pipe... not planning on upgrading anytime soon (or even upgrading at all).
Old 08-22-2001, 03:24 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

You can search for that info also. It has been discussed in the gen and 4th gen forum. In the 4th gen forum, there was a discussion about 3" piping a while back.

Just to be nice...I will answer your question. You don't NEED 3" piping and no he didn't upgrade his y-pipe. He has the Stillen y-pipe on his car.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:24 PM

Kev ..was yours always the 3"?

Old 08-22-2001, 05:51 PM

super charger

i thought the stillen s/c comes with the blow off valve??unless its a cheap one..
Old 08-22-2001, 06:17 PM
Banned

Re: super charger

Originally posted by sp6040
i thought the stillen s/c comes with the blow off valve??unless its a cheap one..
It does come with a BOV, but its the Bosch and its plastic. it doesnt work very good. The Blitz BOV works great and makes an awesome sound when you let off the gas. It also adds good looks to the SC instead of some ugly plastic black thing.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:11 PM

Things you need...tranny cooler and vb mod if it's auto. Things you should want...torque converter, oil cooler. The kit comes with a recerculation valve...get a blitz bov...it's shinny...you should also get a smaller pully...i say get a 2.122 Then get a new tranny from level 10.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:15 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by max'n out
Things you need...tranny cooler and vb mod if it's auto. Things you should want...torque converter, oil cooler. The kit comes with a recerculation valve...get a blitz bov...it's shinny...you should also get a smaller pully...i say get a 2.122 Then get a new tranny from level 10.
2.62 is the smallest.

*BOOM*
Old 08-23-2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Nathan
E, are you really considering to buy a SC?? What dealer will do this for you?
You posted on my thread 'Toronto Dealer Will Back Warranty With SC Install'. I thought you were 10 minutes away from the dealer? If you want the info send me an e-mail and I'll give you everything you need. I would stongly recommend you go to this dealer. People in service seem more then willing to help out and best part is, they will mod your ride any way you want. Send me an e-mail (or to ohboiya) for more details.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:29 AM

Brake upgrade?

tkx!
How did you get a 7 yr warranty? I have the ASP. I thought that it only convered your car for 6 yrs.

Your going for the SC?? Thats great!! Keep me updated on your progress. Look into the V1 instead of the V2. Even though the V2 is quiter I heard that there are issues with it. Talk to Jane97SE. She tell you all about the V2.
So what do you think of the dealers service? They seemed to be very friendly and helpful (unlike many other dealers I've been to).
Old 08-23-2001, 10:55 AM

maybe it is the 6 year ... it's the longest one available .. that's all i know ...

SC ... still thinking about it ... v1? why ... my bud has the v1 in his 2000 .. he's in taiwan right now but in his e-mail yesterday he said that we should talk b/c he's having serious issues ....

Originally posted by bramirez

How did you get a 7 yr warranty? I have the ASP. I thought that it only convered your car for 6 yrs.

Your going for the SC?? Thats great!! Keep me updated on your progress. Look into the V1 instead of the V2. Even though the V2 is quiter I heard that there are issues with it. Talk to Jane97SE. She tell you all about the V2.
So what do you think of the dealers service? They seemed to be very friendly and helpful (unlike many other dealers I've been to).
Old 08-23-2001, 11:48 AM

What issues with the v2 are you refering too? Only one I know of is the filter not clearing the tranny cable...just gotta get a different filter. v2 ain't exactly quiet either.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:57 PM

What issues with the v2 are you refering too? Only one I know of is the filter not clearing the tranny cable...just gotta get a different filter. v2 ain't exactly quiet either.
Quiet ain't all it is cracked up to be. I'd love to hear the sound of a supercharger bouncing off the victim - - If I had one that is.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Quiet ain't all it is cracked up to be. I'd love to hear the sound of a supercharger bouncing off the victim - - If I had one that is.

when the hood is down its almost noticable, when its open it shounds like hundreds of crickets.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:54 PM

super charger

hey guys whats the difference between the v1 and v2? are these for auto,manual, or both.there is also talk about needing a torch converter is this for the auto or manual?please forgive me if these are dumb questions..
Old 08-23-2001, 05:21 PM

tourqe conver is not needed it helps put the power down...acually that will put more stress on the tranny. for auto's you need to have a tranny cooler and vb mod at least. the diff between the v1 and v2 is the blower it's self. If you have a manual all you need is the kit...never hurts to have new clutch and flywheel though.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:34 PM

super charger

thanks for the reply max'n out,i have an automatic so i guess all i need is the vb mod and the tranny cooler along with a better blow off valve of course.,most people get the blitz bov is this the best one available? once again thanks for the responce..
Old 08-24-2001, 09:52 PM

Re: super charger

You don't really need a bov and what it comes with ain't really a blow off valve just a pressure realease tube(as I call it) it takes the boosted air off the pressure pipe back to the air intake. The bov just blows out air into the engine compartment. Effectivly there about the same. I think the reason the blitz is used the most is the sound...if you want a more quiet one hks has one...effectivly there the same...Yup all you really need is the vb mod and tranny cooler I say get the hayden 405 or one from b&m. By the way even stillen says the s/c is fine on auto's if you have the vb mod and tranny cooler...so there is no need to lie.

thanks for the reply max'n out,i have an automatic so i guess all i need is the vb mod and the tranny cooler along with a better blow off valve of course.,most people get the blitz bov is this the best one available? once again thanks for the responce..
Old 08-25-2001, 02:53 PM

supercharger

you have the v1 i guess do you know what the difference is between the v1 and v2 thank again. just trying to get as much info as possible i aslo heard that the v2 has some technicalities..
Old 08-25-2001, 08:50 PM

Re: supercharger

I have the v2...the v1 and v2 are just different blowers...v2 is to be more quiet than v1. the v2 kit is diff than the v1 meaning it comes with an air intake. the small probs with the v2 for autos is the tranny...you need the vb mod tranny cooler and a smaller air filter cuz it don't clear the tranny cable...you can order it from k&n it needs to have a 6 inch opning and be smaller overall...i don't have the number handy but if you email me at the end of the week i should have it then.

you have the v1 i guess do you know what the difference is between the v1 and v2 thank again. just trying to get as much info as possible i aslo heard that the v2 has some technicalities..
Old 08-25-2001, 09:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

V1 = straightcut gears
V2 = helical gears (supposedly quieter)

You can interchange the V1 and V2 superchargers.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:50 AM

Re: supercharger

[QUOTE]Originally posted by max'n out
[B]I have the v2...the v1 and v2 are just different blowers...v2 is to be more quiet than v1. the v2 kit is diff than the v1 meaning it comes with an air intake. the small probs with the v2 for autos is the tranny...you need the vb mod tranny cooler and a smaller air filter cuz it don't clear the tranny cable...you can order it from k&n it needs to have a 6 inch opning and be smaller overall...i don't have the number handy but if you email me at the end of the week i should have it then.

this smaller filter is the main filter for the engine correct?
would'nt this smaller k&n filter restrict air to the engine.has stillen done anything to resolve this problem or is this what they suggested you to do with the smaller filter? you know i dont mind the nosie of the v1 i heard one at a car show a while back they had a max there.how much quiter is the v2?also for the v2 the filter not clearing the tranny cable,is this the only problem you know of? thanks again..the stillen site sucks by the way the dont give you any use full info. thanks again
Old 08-26-2001, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: supercharger

The filter is the main filter for the intake which brings in air to the air intake going into the blower which then goes to the t.b. etc.
The filter isn't restricting it any more than having the filter sit on stuff it's not ment to sit on. It's also not restricting it because it still has the same size opning...if you lose any power it may only be 1-2 hp...if you can feel that your a god. Stillen has dun nothing to tell anybody publically...This info (the filter) came right from there tech line. "it just needs a smaller filter with the same size opning. Just take some measurement." Right from them. I doubt there is much diff in noise between the v1 and v2. You can hear the v2 outside the car and if the radio is on then you can't hear it inside. The only other problem with the supercharger is the tranny not handling the power which is why you need the vb mod...the vb mod means you need the tranny cooler...i say get the hayden 405, cooler is better.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sp6040
[B]

this smaller filter is the main filter for the engine correct?
would'nt this smaller k&n filter restrict air to the engine.has stillen done anything to resolve this problem or is this what they suggested you to do with the smaller filter? you know i dont mind the nosie of the v1 i heard one at a car show a while back they had a max there.how much quiter is the v2?also for the v2 the filter not clearing the tranny cable,is this the only problem you know of? thanks again..the stillen site sucks by the way the dont give you any use full info. thanks again
Old 08-26-2001, 04:45 PM

superchager

The filter is the main filter for the intake which brings in air to the air intake going into the blower which then goes to the t.b. etc.
The filter isn't restricting it any more than having the filter sit on stuff it's not ment to sit on. It's also not restricting it because it still has the same size opning...if you lose any power it may only be 1-2 hp...if you can feel that your a god. Stillen has dun nothing to tell anybody publically...This info (the filter) came right from there tech line. "it just needs a smaller filter with the same size opning. Just take some measurement." Right from them. I doubt there is much diff in noise between the v1 and v2. You can hear the v2 outside the car and if the radio is on then you can't hear it inside. The only other problem with the supercharger is the tranny not handling the power which is why you need the vb mod...the vb mod means you need the tranny cooler...i say get the hayden 405, cooler is better.

Thanks,all this info really helps so the smaller filter will take care of the fitting problems.please try to get me that number if you can.hopefully the filter problem is the only problem with the v2. i'll just have to wait and see.as far as the vb mod thats my plans exactly im getting this and the hadden 405 first then by next summer superchager cant wait thanks again..
Old 08-26-2001, 07:16 PM

No prob..glad to help. The filter the vb mod and tranny cooloer will solve all. Just remind me via email at the end of the week to give you the number it's gonna be another busy week.

Thanks,all this info really helps so the smaller filter will take care of the fitting problems.please try to get me that number if you can.hopefully the filter problem is the only problem with the v2. i'll just have to wait and see.as far as the vb mod thats my plans exactly im getting this and the hadden 405 first then by next summer superchager cant wait thanks again..
Old 08-27-2001, 05:41 PM

supercharger

i'll get back to you for that number..thanks