General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th gen Gen2 inpressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 10:46 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

He is impressed with the handling and ride isnt too stiff. The car doesnt feel all floaty on the highway and feels alot more planted. But the big thing is there are complaints about the Rattling and clunking noises in the rear. Same problem as with wmax2k's 2k. Dunno whats up? followed everything according to the directions and everything is tightened down on both cars. The front has the occisional pop noise which shouldnt be a big deal. Again, like with wmax2k, there isnt a spot for the ABS line so had to ziptie it again. The bracket they supply for the brake line is a hole. So i assume we have to crack loose the brake line to get it in there? hummm...it works i guess but i think a much better way could have been designed.
I know it seems i badmouthing the Gen2's in both the 5th gen thread and this one. But so far, i havent been impressed...

Handling is nice but i dont think its worth it to have the extra noises associated with a $1400 coilover system. has anyone else has coilovers on and has no probs? Lets put in some good feedback before i get yelled at and flamed away.
Old 08-27-2001, 01:41 PM

You're talking about the Cattman coilovers right? At first I thought you were comparing a Gen 2 Maxima to a Gen 4. Anyway I was lookin at the Gen 2 coilovers as well. Who was it who has the coilovers installed? You do bring up some good points about the ABS lines as well as the brake brackets not having slots, but holes. I remember when I lowered my old Camry with conventional springs/struts this was one of the thigns I dreaded... bleeding the brakes and getting brake fluid all over the place. Guess I'll have to study the pictures more closely again. If the brackets have holes, I would modify the brackets so I would not have to bust open the brake lines. Makes me almost wonder if I should just do springs/struts, if KYB will ever get their AGX out.

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
He is impressed with the handling and ride isnt too stiff. The car doesnt feel all floaty on the highway and feels alot more planted. But the big thing is there are complaints about the Rattling and clunking noises in the rear. Same problem as with wmax2k's 2k. Dunno whats up? followed everything according to the directions and everything is tightened down on both cars. The front has the occisional pop noise which shouldnt be a big deal. Again, like with wmax2k, there isnt a spot for the ABS line so had to ziptie it again. The bracket they supply for the brake line is a hole. So i assume we have to crack loose the brake line to get it in there? hummm...it works i guess but i think a much better way could have been designed.
I know it seems i badmouthing the Gen2's in both the 5th gen thread and this one. But so far, i havent been impressed...

Handling is nice but i dont think its worth it to have the extra noises associated with a $1400 coilover system. has anyone else has coilovers on and has no probs? Lets put in some good feedback before i get yelled at and flamed away.
Old 08-27-2001, 02:17 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

i juss dont want Brian to think im always trying to badmouth his products. There could have been a slot for the brake line rather then a hole. Plus alot of other lil things that seem odd. For some reason, both cars i did the rear left was always lower then the other side. I dont know if this is due to the Maxima or the coilovers? or maybe we counted the threads wrong, it juss seems coincidence that both cars were lower on the rear left. Its not my driveway either.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:41 PM

I have the Gen 1 coilovers, and all I can say is that the ride is kinda stiff, but really smooth on good roads. The KYBs tend to over adjust themselves when they hit certain bumps. The Carrera Springs are very stable. That occasional pop that you hear, will eventually go away as the springs settle. They are pretty quiet except for slow, sharp turns, that produces a creaking noise. This should have been solved for the Gen 2 coilovers. Tip: Adjust the struts to almost full firm, or at full firm. Since these struts aren't for the Maxima, they have a hard time supporting the weight. Setting them at the highest setting will reduce bottoming out.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:31 PM

What do you think that poping noise is? From what Brian was saying it has no noise at all. What could it be?