General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I took my entire exhaust system off

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 11:04 PM

Cause my cattman Y is going out to repair. I also noticed my rear muffler/B pipe flange was squeerking and 2 of my exhaust hangers looked like they were gettin tired. So, I decided to remove the entire exhaust system. Now that its off, I'm considering a short throw.

I am going to take apart as much as possible, and sand blast the rusted parts (heat shields, brackets, etc), use anti seize on the new studs/bolts, and paint everything with high temp black to make it look better and to fight rust. I'm going to restud the 2 forward cat bolts as well as they were stuck stuck stuck to my Y pipe. Should be pretty easy, since the exhaust is off the car.

Now, this brings me to my next point. I'm now considering either a catback or just the Courtesy B. The stock B pipe has too many studs that broke off of it (one hanger I had to redo, a muffler stud also came off today, and i'm sure the cat bolts are also stuck), and now that I look at it, its very restrictive. I'm thinking of going for the latter, as I'm into listening to a quality stereo and not the loud as ***** (Stillen and Greddy ones are out for me, whats left, Apexi?). I also ran the car hard open header to see what performance gains it had. Felt like it lost alot of low end and the upper end really didnt gain that much to be noticeable. Or, if I wanted to go cheap, I could just reuse the existing B pipe. I'm thinking if I could get that crimp behind the resonator removed on the OE B pipe it would open things up some. However, by looking at the B pipe now, its heat shield is pretty rusted and so is the piping. Its probably going to rust through anyway, so now is probably a good time to drop the courtesy pipe in.