General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My run against a 240SX with Silvia Engine!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 07:12 AM

I decided to head out to the local Ci-Ci's Pizza parking lot where all the modified
imports and domestics hangout every Friday and Sat. night. Saw a lot of cool cars
and heard a BUNCH of smack talk. I ran against three cars: Toyota MR2 Turbo, a
Conquest with upgraded turbo, full exhaust, and fuel mapping, and last but certainly
not least a Nissan 240SX with a Silvia motor(all cars were 5-speeds). First race was
with the MR2 and I easily spanked him by 3 car lengths to 70 mph. He wanted to
race again from a roll and I ended up spanking him just as bad. Second race was
with the Conquest (Man this guy was talking some serious smack!!). I asked him
what he dynoed and he simply said I don't need to waste my money on a dyno run
because I put down plenty of hp and I know I'm fast. I asked if he cared to run and
he replied "Are you sure you want to run against me?" I said what the heck let me
have a shot against you. We race from a stop sign with him honking off the start
and by 80 mph he was way in my rearview mirror (even worse than with the MR2).
When we went back to the parking lot I went up to him and asked, "Hey I thought
you said you were fast?" He replied well my car's not running too good right now
and I'm only running 10 lbs of boost. Oh ok whatever!! Third race was with the
240SX and he had done the Silvia motor swap, custom intercooler, & Greddy
exhaust. His car looked totally stock like mine "Sleeper" but I knew this guy from my
shop so we both knew what we had under our hoods. We went out to the frontage
road and he honked off the start. I jumped him off the line and we were just about
even till 40 mph and then he started pulling on me. At 60 mph his rear bumper was
even with my front bumper (He had exactly one car length on me) and by 80 mph
he had extended it to 2 car lengths. He slowed down and I congratulated him on a
nice race and then we raced from a 60 mph roll and once again he pulled on me by
about 1 1/2 car lengths to 85 mph. All I have to say is those cars with the Silvia
SR20DET engine are FREAK'N FAST. I told him I wanted a rematch once I get my
intake cooler and he just smiled. He was surprised that I hung with him relatively
well and we parted and went home. Any of yall raced a 240SX with a Silvia engine
swap?
Old 08-25-2001, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Nice runs.. looks like we both got the fate of the SR20.. you got the modded DET and i got the modded DE
Old 08-25-2001, 08:02 AM

I DEFINITELY have respect for those . .

Originally posted by SprintMax
Nice runs.. looks like we both got the fate of the SR20.. you got the modded DET and i got the modded DE
engines now!! His car sounded sweet to boot. Hoping I'll be able to take him after I add the Aquamist system, lower the car, and add the Greddy exhaust.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:00 AM

you guys didnt know sr20s are fast?
whoa......
Old 08-25-2001, 02:27 PM

No I didn't but I . . .

Originally posted by buss95max
you guys didnt know sr20s are fast?
whoa......
found out the hard way. It was fun anyway. Now I really wish I only had a 5-speed.
Old 08-25-2001, 02:36 PM

Re: No I didn't but I . . .

wow, spanked MR2 Turbo?? was the MR2 bone stock?? hmm.. i didn't know that AUTO Supercharged 2k max is THAT fast?? good race though~~~
Old 08-25-2001, 03:54 PM

Re: Re: No I didn't but I . . .

Originally posted by maxi98
wow, spanked MR2 Turbo?? was the MR2 bone stock?? hmm.. i didn't know that AUTO Supercharged 2k max is THAT fast?? good race though~~~
Well if the MR2 was stock, it'd have a serious power deficit. The MR2 Turbo puts out 200hp, 22hp less than a stock 5th gen. This MR2 however, was probably modded though. The way DMan beat him, it sounded like the guy might have had a lot of turbo lag. Even though an MR2 would have an obvious weight advantage, DMan's S/C'd 5th gen was probably putting out enough power to negate it.
Another thing is, DMan may have just been a better driver. There's lots of different factors to consider.
Old 08-25-2001, 08:06 PM

Re: Re: No I didn't but I . . .

Originally posted by maxi98
Not quite sure b/c I'm not real familiar with the MR2s. He did have a Blitz blowoff valve and told me he was running 14 lbs of boost if that helps answer anything. I jumped him pretty handily off the line TWICE even though he had a 5-speed. This same guy raced the modified Conquest right before me and beat him by about a car length. I wasn't looking to race him but when I came up on him after he beat the "trash talking" guy in the Conquest he asked if I wanted to run and I said, "What the heck." He couldn't believe how badly I pulled on him from a dead stop and also a 60 mph roll. Nice kid though and he even told everyone about me beating him when we got back to the parking lot.