General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Your Going to Laugh but I trust your advice and

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 03:16 PM

I am going to trade in the wife's Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
for most liklely a minivan. Andrea Jane is on the way.

I need suggestions besides a minivan, and it has got to be reliable, relatively frugal, large and sporty?? OK laugh.

Please suggest stuff, beside purple elephants :}

Our number 1 pick is the Honda Odyssey; can it be modded??
laugh #2.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get a Pathfinder . They are a lot nicer then any minivan, you can go off roading with it and it looks cool.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:22 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by rp95se

I need suggestions besides a minivan, and it has got to be reliable, relatively frugal, large and sporty?? OK laugh.

laugh #2.
Well, the Honda is a excellent van, just not really sporty. It also does not have a good design for the rear suspension either. I have seen so many that are literally sitting on there bump stops with a full load of people in the back. But it has the most power out of all the vans I believe.

My mom has had so many van's in her past and she finally got the one she liked.

She recently had a Pontiac Montana, and liked the grunt of power, but it did not handle worth a crap also did not feel stable on the highway. It felt like it could tip over easily. She finally got rid of it after 16 months, and got a new Chrysler Town and Country. Now I believe this is the closest you will get to a sport mini-van. White faced gauges, lots of nice features inside. Supension is awesome, 4 wheel disc brakes (brakes are better than my max!), it corners great! I suggest driving one of those before you decide on a Honda. She actually liked the Chrysler more than the Honda. Gotta hand it to Chrysler, they were the orginal ones who made the minivan, they still make a great van.

Old 08-26-2001, 03:24 PM

I agree with him. Pathfinder. The Honda is also and EXCELLENT choice. Decenty fast and safe.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by rp95se

laugh #2.
My wife drives a Nissan Quest. It's not a Max, but it has served us well.
Old 08-26-2001, 04:01 PM

get a pt cruiser it looks rather sporty and can be modded
Old 08-26-2001, 04:08 PM

I'm a sucker for sport wagons. I really love what BMW and Volvo have to offer. Too bad you gotta spend $30K to obtain a cool one. My friend has an Odessey and loves it for the mini-van it is. There is no shame in owning a mini-van
Old 08-26-2001, 04:18 PM

IMO, the best minivans are still made by Chrysler. So, it's either the Town and Country by Chrysler or Voyager by Plymonth. As far as modding is concern, I don't think you can do much with the Chrysler or Plymonth. I think there are a few stuff out there for the Honda minivan.
Old 08-26-2001, 04:42 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya i'd say get a pathfinder, they can be modded too. yo its ok just put a 50 shot of nos in his.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:03 PM

I'm with the guy who said sports wagon. Volvo V70 (i think it is) or Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro.

Have fun, you won't regret it.

Lexus IS300 now is coming out with a wagon.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

My suggestion....

Nissan Quest or Honda Odessy...in temrs of minivans I think they look the best and have great engines as well and should be quite affordable! as for Wagons, I like Volvo, not really sure which model exactly, but the most recent ones are looking sharp!

but if you want a REAL MAN's van ...its gotta be the late 1980 series Dodge Carvan SE Turbo... my dad had one and it lasted for the longest time!! and plus you can boost it up a little and have it running 12's like this guy did! ---> http://webpages.krausonline.com/spaul/index.html
Old 08-26-2001, 05:28 PM

get the 2002 odyssey!!!!! all the way 2x bigger then pathfinder, 240hp, 5 spd automatic, A LOT BIGGER, magic third roll seat, DOUBLEWISHBONE supension front adn rear, a lot easier for kids to climb in, front and rear A/C and heat, power sliding doors easy to carry kids/stuff in and out, harder to flip then PF, there is a lot more stuff check the below URL, and did I mention save A LOT MORE $$ ON GAS A YEAR/ probably insurance too

check here for mods http://www.odyclub.com/
Old 08-26-2001, 05:35 PM
Got Bent?

Well, my parents have a 2k1 Odyssey EX. It's a very nice, comfortable van with a good amount of power. I have driven it a little bit and thought it was pretty good for a minivan. Handling is sound, yet comfortable and there is a decent amount of pickup. As with any Honda engine, you have to rev it a bit to get some torque, but considering the thing weighs in excess of 4000 lbs, its not bad . I don't know about mods for the thing, but you may find some if you look hard enough
Old 08-26-2001, 05:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Hmmmm......

"riced" out mini vans.....hehehehe! it would actually look good without that psychotic spoiler on the front-->

Rice Van

Originally posted by costcowholesale
Old 08-26-2001, 05:45 PM

Re: Hmmmm......

Originally posted by DA-MAX
"riced" out mini vans.....hehehehe! it would actually look good without that psychotic spoiler on the front-->

Rice Van

jealous that minivan looks better then yr car?
forgot to mention that my family have a 00 odyssey EX too that I drive 40% of the time and my family kinda went thru that PF vs odyssey thing
Old 08-26-2001, 05:53 PM

Re: Hmmmm......

Originally posted by DA-MAX

Rice Van

I actually saw a riced out mini van at a car show in NJ, if I remember it was a Nissan Quest too
Old 08-26-2001, 06:13 PM
RussMaxManiac

get the 2002 odyssey!!!!! all the way 2x bigger then pathfinder, 240hp, 5 spd automatic, A LOT BIGGER, magic third roll seat, DOUBLEWISHBONE supension front adn rear, a lot easier for kids to climb in, front and rear A/C and heat, power sliding doors easy to carry kids/stuff in and out, harder to flip then PF, there is a lot more stuff check the below URL, and did I mention save A LOT MORE $$ ON GAS A YEAR/ probably insurance too

That double wishbone works on cars, but does not work well on the van. I see like I said, many that is going down the road with NOT much weight in it, and there about 1 ft from hitting the ground, maybe 6 inches bouncing. The tires are like this / \ Very bad design. I see many other vans weighted down, and they do not have this problem.

Old 08-26-2001, 09:49 PM

why not a small suv, like rav4?
all van's not a sporty. they are van.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:10 PM

well you see what you see, I don't see that in my van, just went on a camping trip the past 3 days, abt 500lb of stuff in the back with 2 person it sure didn't go /\ and maybe you were looking @ the cheap model (LX) with firestones

lucentauto: the 02 ody is gonna blow the doors out of a rav4 in straight line accleration, an SUV is just an SUV its not sporty. rp95se, the rav4 is not as torquey as odyssey's V6 (its not that torquey but still better then i4's) you wife came from an GTP so any 4 cyc will probably be a bad choice
Old 08-26-2001, 10:19 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Hmmmm......

jealous that minivan looks better then yr car?
no comment.....
Old 08-27-2001, 05:29 AM

I say go for a sport wagon also. I used to drive a V70 GLT and it has more room than any small SUV I have seen. The ride is hard but its quick and safe. Not great in the snow unless you have all-wheel drive though.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

hmmm someone posted a '84 Plymouth Voyager with a turbo that does 12 second quarters... how does that sound?

go for a Dodge or a Honda... or you could SC a Montana....
minivans can look cool... but its almost never done...
Old 08-27-2001, 08:11 AM

Honda Odyssey can be modded, I'll have to say RJ de Vera's mom's oddessy has to be the best example, turboed, does 13's in the quarter mile...
Old 08-27-2001, 12:28 PM

Honda Odyssey or the Mazda MPV. Both look and drive well.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:28 PM

Heard many complaints from Odyessey

My uncle was also recently looking for a van, and he knows someone who has the Honda Odyessey, he said that the electrical sliding door gave him problems, and the door wudnt open, which was not good, and the honda dealership was a pain in the *** to get it fixed...and on the highway the van makes a lot of wind noise...

ill have to say the CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY...thats the van my uncle bought, it was very very quite on the highway, we were gng around 80 MPH without even realizing...

its a good car, maybe u shud check into it...
Old 08-27-2001, 06:50 PM

Please avoid the Chrysler product. Mopar transmissions are the worst. A rubber band transmission would last longer.
Another possible vehicle left out would be the Toyota Highlander. Not a car, not a minivan, and not really an Suv. It is like the Pat of the autoworld. Very versatille though. Pathfinder would be nice also. maybe the S/C Xterra. I would rather be picked up from school with that.

Other alternatives in which I favor would be the Volvo cross country or the Audi wagon.