General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is cleaner wax the same thing as regular car wax??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 12:28 AM

Hi fellas, I recently bought a bottle of Meguair's cleaner wax. Well I was reading some other threads about waxes and now I'm not sure if I bought the right product. I want to just wash the car and then give it a nice wax. Is cleaner wax just a prepping product??

Since we're on the subject of wax...is Meguair's a good product?? I hear that its a hard wax to get off. I have been hearing a lot of good stuff about Mother's and Zaino. What is your opinion.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-31-2001, 01:16 AM

Meguiar's is an awesome brand, I would trust any product they sell almost instantly. Check out their website for explanations.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:13 AM

Cleaner wax is a wax with a cleaner mixed in with it. The cleaner should remove grease and ground in dirts on your paint to restore the colour. I'd recomend using a separate pre-wax cleaner, then a polish, then a pure wax. one of this "2 in 1" crap for me.

I did a paint cleaning on my 1991 Nissan NX, and you wouldn't believe the diff. I sued a buffer to do the job, and the car went from brown to white again. I couldn't believe how white the original 11 year old paint looked. Amazing. I then polished and waxed it, and the car looks almost as good as new. The bumpers and lower rocker panels were the worst.
Old 08-31-2001, 11:31 AM
Banned

1992 NX

hey, you had a 1991 Nissan NX! my last car was a '92 NX, loaded, ABS and all. fun car, still have the brochure, but i outgrew it.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:05 PM

What motor did you have Dave? Sadly, mines the GA16DE. I'd kill for the SR20DE though.... It aint fast, but it handles like a dream and is good on gas.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:30 PM

Re: 1992 NX

Wow!!! My previous car is a '92 NX2000 also. I missed it. It was fun to drive until the front motor mount went bad. After I fixed it, I almost change my mind (to sell it).

To keep it on the subject. I use cleaner wax when I feel lazy and just want to do a quick wash-and-wax job. If you have time, you want to use a clay bar to clean the paint before you wax. I did it first time last Friday. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! The paint is a lot smoother on my '97 SE.

Meguair's is a good brand. You can also try 3M. I am sure Zaino is a very good product, but it costs a lot more than 3M. So it is your choice.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:32 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Use that cleaner wax first to get rid of oxidized paint and dirt, then go over it again with your wax or polish, i also suggest using a clay bar , works wonders.........
Old 08-31-2001, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by maxse91
Use that cleaner wax first to get rid of oxidized paint and dirt, then go over it again with your wax or polish, i also suggest using a clay bar , works wonders.........
Thanks MaxSE91, I did a search on car paint care because I don't know **** when it comes to pre-waxes, cleaner wax, glazes, pure waxes, etc. So in other words cleaner wax is just to pre the paint, right?? Now I guess I need some kind of pure wax or something like Mother's pure carnuba wax. What do you suggest?? I want my paint to sparkle like those damn new bimmers and benzs. I was actually thinking of renting an orbital buffer to help out. Tell me how I achieve this sparkle??

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-31-2001, 04:24 PM

What you have is used for a quick wax job, by combining two products in one. It has a paint cleaner in it as well as a Carnuba wax. When you use it, you don't need to wax it anymore. If you want that new car shine, you will have to follow a long restoration process to bring back years of fading paint. If you are up to the task, I can tell you each step. First, you have to prep the finish, by washing it thoroughly with dishwashing liquid. It removes tough grime and harsh contaminants. Next, use a clay bar to further remove contaminants. Then, use your cleaner wax, to do the final touches and to give the paint protection. Finally, you can follow up with Meguiar's Step #2 Polish, to give your paint a nice gloss. You can use the polish repeatedly until you are satisfied with the results. You'll be amazed. After that, wash your car only in carwash, unless you want to do it all over again.