General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got pullover twice in one night cause of neons (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 10:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, hope everyone had a good long weekend. Wow, the cops were really caracking down this weekend in Toronto and the GTA. Got into funny situation. Twice in one night, I got pullover by cops and bugged about my neons (Hood, sidemarkers, dash, 2 blacklights,3rd brake strobe). The first cop was cool and let me off with a warning. I said I'd removed them asap, and he smiled and said "Sure you will buddy, I personally like'm but you can't have them on." The second run in with the cops was a big pain in the @ss. He kept cutting me off and wouldn't even let me talk. Kept on saying it makes the car look stupid and makes me an idiot for buying the neons which I'm now gonna throw out. My @ss I'll throw it out. Then he said it was gonna be a $103 ticket for the lighting violation. He then bothered me some more about the various neons in my car, the usual questions about previous offences etc, took my license and came back and said...I'm letting you off, but get them off. Idiot, wasted 1/2 hr of my time so I didn't make last call for bar Arghh!!! Wrecked the end of my long weekend. Anyways, was curious if any one has gotten a ticket for this reason??? Should I be concerned?
Old 09-03-2001, 11:10 PM

Oh Sheit!!!

Yo ...

I live in Ricmond Hill ... I got Windshield Washer LEDs, Got Black light Inside my Car, Clear Front Corners with SuperWhite Bulbs and Neon's on my Rear Pillar ... U think I'm gonna get in crap too???

Where were U when the cop pulled U over???
Old 09-03-2001, 11:14 PM

shietz!

I'm getting the underbody neon kit ... getting four neon accent tubes inside the car .. getting the LED hood lites .. getting the valve cover LED's ...

have front & rear clears with superwhite wedge bulbs ...

I thinx we in trouble bud ...

btw empz .. where & how much were your hood bulbs?
Old 09-03-2001, 11:27 PM

Re: Oh Sheit!!!

Originally posted by Empz
Where were U when the cop pulled U over???
First in sauga around Mavis/Dundas, then in Toronto @ Spadina/Dundas. I must have seen at least 20 cops crusing around all day today. yesterday night was even worse. What I don't get is why they are targeting the neons?
Old 09-03-2001, 11:31 PM

Do either of u know any Toronto police that we can talk to? I'm sure it's not illegal (the neons that is) ... the clear sides I think are ... but underbody & interior neons should be okay ...
Old 09-03-2001, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya
Do either of u know any Toronto police that we can talk to? I'm sure it's not illegal (the neons that is) ... the clear sides I think are ... but underbody & interior neons should be okay ...
I should of asked the first cop exactly what is okay and not. Both mainly focus on the nozzle lights above all else. It's funny cause I've been driving around with my lights for close to two years (Except the nozzle) and haven't had any problems till today. I'm getting my underbody soon too hope it doesn't attract to much heat from cops.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:38 AM

Why the hell do the cops care about interior lights? It's not the same in the US is it?
Old 09-04-2001, 03:18 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

So you're mad at the cop because he was doing his job, and you couldn't go to the bar?
Old 09-04-2001, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
So you're mad at the cop because he was doing his job, and you couldn't go to the bar?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:03 AM

Haha : ) I was ****ed but no, that's besides the point. I'm just curious as to what's legal and not. Some cops care, some don't...and why all the sudden this weekend did they come down on this? I've never been bothered before.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:10 AM

Guys, you all are asking for trouble if anything looks out of the ordinary to the cops. I saw a guy with red lights in the front of his car at the Pike one night. He also was driving without his headlights on. He definitely asked for it. DMB got a $300 ticket for having red marker lights where they are supposed to be yellow. Roman got a ticket for having blue led washer lights.
If anything looks out of the ordinary and standard(according to the DOT) the cops will give you crap for it.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:19 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Are we talking about interior neons or under the car neons?

If it's under the body....why would you drive around with them on? It's cool to show it off parking at the hangouts or at the shows. I would never drive around with them on.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:25 AM

i'm planning on driving with my underbody neons ... but I'm going 2 have a switch 4 all my neons ... the underbody, the interior & hood lights ...
Old 09-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Dont ask around here for definitive answers on traffic laws.
Do your own research and find out exactly what they are in your area.

Also, why didnt you just turn the lights off after the first time you got pulled?
Old 09-04-2001, 09:34 AM

Neons and lights ..

as far as I know, any visible neons on the car are illegal. I've been told even the ones on the inside, but that could be wrong. The ones on the outside definately are.

And from what I'm told, you can have WHITE front lights, WHITE/ORANGE front blinkers, RED brake lights, and RED/ORANGE rear blinkers.

When cops are looking for quota or to harass people, they'll pull you over for any reason they can see.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:28 AM

You can see the Glow NOT the Bulb

Here is the DEAL..!
ANY Neon bulb that is Visible is Illegal. I sell them and have gotten this question. What I have done is used Black Electrical tape to cover the Bulb. You can see the GLOW but NOT the Bulb that is what make it Illegal. The law varies from state to state but with the install HIDE'n the Bulbs and that Lil Sticker Street Glow provides that should get you out of the Ticket. As for the Nozzles. Blue & Red are illegal. All other ones aren't. When the cop writes ya up the ticket if you look it the Exact violation number it will be for some thing else. You can then take that and fight it in court. Most people will not take the time to do this so they will just PAY the ticket and be over with it. If you wire them to your Blinkers that is close to the OEM Mirror lights on Benz's. Again it's a matter of, do you want to spend your time to fight it and WIN? Most will pay and be done with it..!
Old 09-04-2001, 01:15 PM

Hey Canadian's

I got the Ontario HighWay Traffic Act basically as a File ... If anyone Wants it, email me or drop me a message!

Basically ... CLEAR CORNERS are LEGAL, the Bulbs Inside can be ALMOST any Color, as long as it DOESN't "Blink", if it BLINKS ... it can be ONLY Be YELLOW or RED.

Lights in the FRONT of the car can ONLY be Yellow, White, Red.

Windshield Washer LEDs can ONLY be WHITE, YELLOW.

Any BLUE on the Front or Rear is ILLEGAL ... if its BLUE and FLASHES ... you are basically DEAD!

You can Only have 1 SET of FOG lights, Any More is ILLEGAL.

"Headlights" Cannot Be Any Color except White, Yellow can be accepted (But COPS might still bother You)

Underbody Neon Kits are ILLEGAL if you are Moving.

Old 09-04-2001, 03:13 PM

Re: Hey Canadian's

Originally posted by Empz
I got the Ontario HighWay Traffic Act basically as a File ... If anyone Wants it, email me or drop me a message!

Basically ... CLEAR CORNERS are LEGAL, the Bulbs Inside can be ALMOST any Color, as long as it DOESN't "Blink", if it BLINKS ... it can be ONLY Be YELLOW or RED.

Lights in the FRONT of the car can ONLY be Yellow, White, Red.

Windshield Washer LEDs can ONLY be WHITE, YELLOW.

Any BLUE on the Front or Rear is ILLEGAL ... if its BLUE and FLASHES ... you are basically DEAD!

You can Only have 1 SET of FOG lights, Any More is ILLEGAL.

"Headlights" Cannot Be Any Color except White, Yellow can be accepted (But COPS might still bother You)

Underbody Neon Kits are ILLEGAL if you are Moving.

I want it, dennisk@aci.on.ca thanks
Old 09-04-2001, 05:33 PM

Good find Empz ... tkx!

Maybe I shouldn't do the blinker rewire then ... hmm ... that can't be true though ... the stock Jetta's have clear blinker lights on the side that are white!

My hood lights are going to be white .. so good ...

Didn't know underbody neons were illegal .. I thought it was only illegal (as someone mentioned) if they can actually see the bulb ... if they only see the emitted light .. should be okay ... I think ...
Old 09-04-2001, 11:49 PM

I have blue reverse lights. Anyoe know about those? I dont live in Canada but if anyone knows...also, those blue hood LED's are illegal?! I wanted to get those and wire them to my turn signals.... or at least wire them to my fogs so they are only one when my fogs are on.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:20 AM

Okay, one MORE time for the slow people. NEONS=illegal, do NOT drive with them on, either visible inside the car from the outside or on the outside of the car at all. ALL blue, red and green lights, whether in turn signals, washer nozzles or backup lights are illegal. All of them.
If you look out of place, expect a ticket.
AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT PEOPLE DOING THEIR JOBS!! YOU were the one doing something illegal, NOT the policer officer.
Old 09-05-2001, 03:24 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by medicsonic
Okay, one MORE time for the slow people. NEONS=illegal,
really?
Old 09-05-2001, 03:36 AM

really?
Unless the were OEM from the factory, i.e. Cadillac's DTS taillights.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:21 AM

Okay, one MORE time for the slow people. NEONS=illegal, do NOT drive with them on, either visible inside the car from the outside or on the outside of the car at all. ALL blue, red and green lights, whether in turn signals, washer nozzles or backup lights are illegal. All of them.
AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT PEOPLE DOING THEIR JOBS!! YOU were the one doing something illegal, NOT the policer officer.
Thats great and all but what I wanted to know was whether or not the blue LEDs for the washer nozzles were really illegal. cmon cut to the chase here.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:04 PM

Sure, the neons, the blue and green lights, I can see that, but the RED TURN SIGNALS I still have to take issue with. I had heard that someone here had said that they were illegal, and maybe they are, but if you convert your rear turn signals to flash red and at a brightness very similar to all the other red flashing lights out there, it just goes against logic to be giving tickets for THAT! I'm sure in a dream world where the govt was actually wanting to help us the DOT would gladly bless the red blinker conversion we might do, but its the real world.

*I* don't have a problem with neons, blue or green lights as long as they're dim and not visible for like 2 miles. I figure to live and let live. If you ignore the spirit of the law, you're just a paid @__-hole and not an officer for the law, IMHO.

Jack
Old 09-05-2001, 04:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All those neons and crap.. "show" use only.. means when your car is stopped.. you have to realize from the laws perspective you are drawing attention to your car from the road so it is only a problem because you distract other drivers.. as for the purple and blue lights here and there.. they look bad anyway, dont do it..
Old 09-05-2001, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
All those neons and crap.. "show" use only.. means when your car is stopped.. you have to realize from the laws perspective you are drawing attention to your car from the road so it is only a problem because you distract other drivers.. as for the purple and blue lights here and there.. they look bad anyway, dont do it..
uh ... then get rid of your y-pipe hypocrite ... it's for "off-road use only" ... not 2 mention the damage u r doing 2 the environment ... sheesh ...
Old 09-05-2001, 05:07 PM

uh ... then get rid of your y-pipe hypocrite ... it's for "off-road use only" ... not 2 mention the damage u r doing 2 the environment ... sheesh ...
Old 09-05-2001, 05:24 PM

Play Nice

Everyone here has an Opinion... We are all entitled to them, but let's not start Name calling or I'm gonna tell my Mommy..!!

But really voice your opinions with out this BS guys..!!

Play Nice

Originally posted by ohboiya

Old 09-05-2001, 06:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Play Nice

point well taken ohboiya... I take back all my comments then.. don't want to be labeled a hypocrite..

::facing the corner::
Old 09-05-2001, 06:22 PM

Re: Re: Play Nice

point well taken ohboiya... I take back all my comments then.. don't want to be labeled a hypocrite..

::facing the corner::
kewl ... didn't mean it 2 b that harsh ... but seemed 2 b a valid point ... nice 2 meet u .. I'm eugene ...
Old 09-06-2001, 07:03 AM

That's Much Better...

Now, Kiss and Make up you two...