General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Between the Max, Quest and Pathfinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi,

Here is my brief car-related bio:

I drive a 1991 Max GXE with 320,000 kilometres or approximately 200,000 miles. Over the last 2.5 years, I've spent approximately $4000.00 CDN on the car, nearly as much as I bought it - mainly maintenance stuff. I'm beginning to think it is time to start thinking of a new/used car.

I have two preschoolers: 5 and 3 and would appreciate more room, particularly those days when I have to convey them and their friends to the park or other playground. I do a lot of highway driving with the kids to facilitate access of the kids to their mother (my EX) - doing approximately 40-50,000 highway kilometres a year.

It is needless to stress the power and the reliability of the Maxima (infact, even with over 300,000kms, my mechanic is interested in buying my car, should I ever think of selling it). My preference would be to stick to the Nissan makes in the following order

-- Maxima
-- Quest
-- Pathfinder.

Between the Maxima and the Pathfinder, I think I would go for the Max, as they both seat 5 - passengers. I read somewhere on the web that a third row seat can be installed in the Pathfinder to accomate 7 passengers - does anyone have any info about this - I bet it would reduce cargo space.

The Pathfinder is a sexy-looking SUV - infact, one of the nicest on the market, and I often see myself gloating over it with my eyes, but so is the beauty of the Max.

So now, I'm considering the Max and the Quest -- honestly, I can't think of myself (mid 30s guy, at the very early stages of pre mid-life crisis driving a van, but when I consider the intersts of my kids and the safety of the Quest, these considerations slap me in the face).

So fellows, is the added benefit of having 2 more seating spaces (with the Quest) enough to outweigh my love for the Max (or other sedans I have considered, ie, BMW 5 or 7 series, Acura 3.2 TL??)

anyone been there -- help me pleeeeeez.

MN
Old 09-04-2001, 07:00 AM

Go with the Pathfinder

I have a 97 Max and 2 young ones. The infant car seat and booster seat I have in the back are very bulky. Fitting another person back can be done but would be very cramp. I have a speaker box in the trunk, have wiggle the stroller in to fit. Go with the Pathfinder, my .02 cents. Forget the Quest.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:25 AM

Re: Go with the Pathfinder

Originally posted by vw1xvWL6
I have a 97 Max and 2 young ones. The infant car seat and booster seat I have in the back are very bulky. Fitting another person back can be done but would be very cramp. I have a speaker box in the trunk, have wiggle the stroller in to fit. Go with the Pathfinder, my .02 cents. Forget the Quest.
Maxima is nice
Old 09-04-2001, 08:30 AM

The Pathfinder is pretty small for an SUV and a third row seat would be very very tight (if you can even get one installed at all).

If you need the space and would still like a good SUV, try the Acura MDX. It's basically a Honda Odyssey, but in luxury SUV form. I've driven one and it feels more refined than a Pathfinder (albeit it costs more).

If you must drive a minivan, the Quest doesn't compete well with the much more popular Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey. Consider those minivans as well.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go with the Quest!!! I just bought my wife a 2001 Quest SE and it is actually fun to drive. I traded in the pathfinder and have no regrets. The quest is much more practical and you can fit more people. Try and get one with the family entertainment center it is great for the little one's.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:20 PM

I have a 97 Maxima and my Dad just bought a 2001 Pathfinder. Both are GLE/LE models. I have to say the Maxima's back seat is much more comfortable and has more room than the Pathfinder. My Maxima is 4 years old and I havn't had a SINGLE problem with it. We have also had no problems with the Pathfinder but it has under 2k on it. There are some annoying rattles in the back of the Pathfinder which we are unable to find. I have heard nothing about a 3rd row seat for the Pathfinder and really don't see how it could be done. I wouldn't want to ride back there. Another thing, I am just over 6 feet tall and my hair touches the roof of the Pathfinder in the driver and back seats. This has never happened in the Maxima. They both have a sunroof if that matters?? Does having a sunroof lower the roof? As for power, the 2001 Pathfinders got upgraded to 240 HP which helps a lot. People always complained about the power of the 2000 and earilers. Well, hope this helps. I really dont know which is best for you. Good luck!
Old 09-04-2001, 08:39 PM

If you are looking for a van, I suggest test driving any of the Dodge/Chrysler models. There is no better van made on this earth.
Old 09-05-2001, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by Noela
Hi,

Here is my brief car-related bio:

I drive a 1991 Max GXE with 320,000 kilometres or approximately 200,000 miles. Over the last 2.5 years, I've spent approximately $4000.00 CDN on the car, nearly as much as I bought it - mainly maintenance stuff. I'm beginning to think it is time to start thinking of a new/used car.

I have two preschoolers: 5 and 3 and would appreciate more room, particularly those days when I have to convey them and their friends to the park or other playground. I do a lot of highway driving with the kids to facilitate access of the kids to their mother (my EX) - doing approximately 40-50,000 highway kilometres a year.

It is needless to stress the power and the reliability of the Maxima (infact, even with over 300,000kms, my mechanic is interested in buying my car, should I ever think of selling it). My preference would be to stick to the Nissan makes in the following order

-- Maxima
-- Quest
-- Pathfinder.

Between the Maxima and the Pathfinder, I think I would go for the Max, as they both seat 5 - passengers. I read somewhere on the web that a third row seat can be installed in the Pathfinder to accomate 7 passengers - does anyone have any info about this - I bet it would reduce cargo space.

The Pathfinder is a sexy-looking SUV - infact, one of the nicest on the market, and I often see myself gloating over it with my eyes, but so is the beauty of the Max.

So now, I'm considering the Max and the Quest -- honestly, I can't think of myself (mid 30s guy, at the very early stages of pre mid-life crisis driving a van, but when I consider the intersts of my kids and the safety of the Quest, these considerations slap me in the face).

So fellows, is the added benefit of having 2 more seating spaces (with the Quest) enough to outweigh my love for the Max (or other sedans I have considered, ie, BMW 5 or 7 series, Acura 3.2 TL??)

anyone been there -- help me pleeeeeez.
I've got a 96 Max & 94 Quest. If you need the space I'd go with the Quest. We've gone almost 100k with the Quest with no major problems.

MN
Old 09-05-2001, 06:13 AM

I'd get the Maxima if I were you. No question about it. It should provide all the room you need to shuttle the kids back and forth, even as they grow up. Handling is better than the other two vehicles (a much-overlooked safety factor) and you'll still be able to 'cruise chicks' when the spirit moves you. Try doing that in a Minivan. Don't just buy a vehicle for your kids!

I'd also suggest moving a little closer to your ex-wife, your job, etc. if you can to save on your yearly mileage.

Jim
Old 09-05-2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
If you are looking for a van, I suggest test driving any of the Dodge/Chrysler models. There is no better van made on this earth.
I am not so sure about that. My mom has had 3 Chrysler vans in a row (the last 3 major body styles) and we have had tons of problems with them. I dont remember our first one but we had to replace 2 transmissions in our second. Not to mention a bunch of other stuff. And on our 97, it keeps killing batteries and seisuring?? I mean that the lights all go dim and flash and you hear relays clicking on and off and when you crank the car (if it cranks at all) the engine doesn't idle smoothly. We replace the battery and its fine. Nobody can find the problem. Its happened at least 4 times since we had the car. Once we had to have it towed away. I would definietly go with a Nissan over a Chrysler. I know we won't be buying another Chrysler van.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As we all know you do not buy a domestic vehicle. The Honda is the best mini van made but, it is not worth the extra money you will have to spend. They are still going for more than sticker. The Toyota has had many mechanical problems in it's short existence. The Quest is really the best van for the money and we all know the benefits of the drive train.