General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help. My trun signal went spastic!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 06:04 PM

Can anyone tell me where the tun signal relay/solinoid is located, and how hard it is to replace it? I went to signal this evening and it (the turn signal)started normal, then went HYPER-Spastic (like strobe light fast). Now it's really inconsistant when I try to use it. Could it be something else causing this? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2000, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by The_quorum
Can anyone tell me where the tun signal relay/solinoid is located, and how hard it is to replace it? I went to signal this evening and it (the turn signal)started normal, then went HYPER-Spastic (like strobe light fast). Now it's really inconsistant when I try to use it. Could it be something else causing this? Thanks.
Yer turn signal being fast usually means that one of yer turn lights (that side, front or back) is out.. makes the one thats left run faster. Hope its that simple..

Old 10-26-2000, 06:16 PM

Second Dave's idea. Check all your turn bulbs. Might not even be a burnt out one, just one that works intermediantly (sp).

Luck
Old 10-26-2000, 06:29 PM

I think it's more complicated...

Both left and right are going it...and when I pulled up to my garage, and turned them on, Both the front and back lights are in synch w/ each other. I'll check anyway though. Maybe If I replace all the bulbs...
Old 10-26-2000, 07:54 PM

Sounds to me more like the relay, although it could be a weird problem with one of the bulbs. But, bulbs are pretty simple things.

Let me know if/when you swap out the relay. Mine has started "chiming" during the off-cycle in a very high-pitched single beep. Almost sounds like an echo, but it's so high pitched that most people don't even hear it. I'm probably driving every dog in the neighborhood nuts when I turn on my blinker...
Old 10-26-2000, 08:03 PM

I still don't know...

where the relay is located...any ideas?
Old 10-26-2000, 08:13 PM

Not sure where it is, but I haven't really looked yet either. On my Z-car, it was behing the glove compartment. On my 95, it sounds like it's underneath the driver's side dash somewhere. If you've got a good ear, turn on your signal and then start sticking your head around trying to find it. It should be a small rectangular (or cylindrical) object about an inch or two tall. If our good friend Mr. Martin is out there, he's probably got a blow-up of it in the service manual...

-kev