General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is Electronic "Drive by Wire" Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 11:20 AM

I see that sometimes in the mags when they talk about certain new cars and didn't understand exactly what it is. Can someone who know clarify it for me? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:31 AM
Administrator

something on the new maxima
Old 09-10-2001, 11:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Instead of using an actual cable to operate the throttle body opening, it uses a gas pedal travel position sensor. This postion is related though the ecu and the ecu will send a signal to a motor on the TB and open it the correct amount.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I figure you're probably refering to the 2002 Maximas. Well basically what the difference is that drive-by-wire means that the throttle is electronically controlled by the computer. Unlike the 1st-5th gen. Maximas, throttle is controlled by a cable.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:45 AM

I've seen it being referred to in the 2002 Maxima and also on BMWs. Didn't exactly know what it meant. Are there any significant difference compared with cable thottle? Such as pedal feel,performance,maintenance,etc. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-10-2001, 04:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For drive-by-wire systems, the pedal feel isn't different, there will be less maintenance, and there are added benefits when integrated with other electronic control devices on cars (traction control, ABS, anti-theft devices, rev-matching on automatic transmissions, etc.).
Old 09-10-2001, 05:04 PM

Speedvision recently showcased BMW's new steer-by-wire technology. With standard rack and pinion steering mechanisms, when the steering wheel is resting near center a small movement of the steering wheel translates into a relatively large change in tire direction. Additional turning of the steering wheel leads to increasingly smaller changes in tire direction. In the steer-by-wire equipped car, the turning of the tires is more linear with respect to the steering wheel. As the car coursed through a slalom run, it was evident that the technology means less turns of the steering wheel and a more intuitive "feel", although the viewer must accept the test driver's opinions on this latter point. This technology seemed beneficial, albeit gimmicky.

What I don't understand is, how throttle-by-wire is better than a mechanically controlled throttle. How can a mechanism that includes electronics and servos and sensors be more reliable than a direct cable connection? It can't possibly deter theft since in the event of a system failure, the driver is still left with vestigal "limp home" throttle control. A thief can still drive your car away - slowly. And unless the system is artificially boosting throttle commands, I don't see how throttle response can be enhanced.

Anyone?
Old 09-10-2001, 06:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Instead of using an actual cable to operate the throttle body opening, it uses a gas pedal travel position sensor. This postion is related though the ecu and the ecu will send a signal to a motor on the TB and open it the correct amount.
I hope that sensor never breaks, that chould be dangerous I whould think.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:42 PM

Micah has a good point.

Originally posted by TarHeelMax
Speedvision recently showcased BMW's new steer-by-wire technology. With standard rack and pinion steering mechanisms, when the steering wheel is resting near center a small movement of the steering wheel translates into a relatively large change in tire direction. Additional turning of the steering wheel leads to increasingly smaller changes in tire direction. In the steer-by-wire equipped car, the turning of the tires is more linear with respect to the steering wheel. As the car coursed through a slalom run, it was evident that the technology means less turns of the steering wheel and a more intuitive "feel", although the viewer must accept the test driver's opinions on this latter point. This technology seemed beneficial, albeit gimmicky.

What I don't understand is, how throttle-by-wire is better than a mechanically controlled throttle. How can a mechanism that includes electronics and servos and sensors be more reliable than a direct cable connection? It can't possibly deter theft since in the event of a system failure, the driver is still left with vestigal "limp home" throttle control. A thief can still drive your car away - slowly. And unless the system is artificially boosting throttle commands, I don't see how throttle response can be enhanced.

Anyone?
Old 09-10-2001, 06:46 PM

Drive by wire term came from the aviation field, which we call it FLY BY WIRE. Instead of using wires or cables to control the air surface of a plane, they use a senors or electrical wires to send singals to the actuators or motors to the control surfaces. Same princple with drive by wires. But I hope they engineer it right, like putting a pretty stiff return spring on the throttle plate. Cause if that motor ever fails you would be stuck at that throttle position. but unlike aircrafts we have backup systems (2 system matter of fact). But, known how auto makers which copies aviation technology, I guess they put alot of brain power for their backup system, just in case the motor that controls the throttle plate fails or something. Well, that's my 2 cents on this drive by wire thing..

peace.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:54 PM

to review benefits of drive-by-wire, go to http://www.edmunds.com/news/innovati...3/article.html

Here's a picture of the ultimate drive-by-wire car, using a side-stick: