General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need help ASAP, owners of Hanes or Chilton tear-down manuals respond 5speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 06:13 AM

I need help ASAP, owners of Hanes or Chilton tear-down manuals respond 5speed problem

I cant find my f_ _ _ ing Hanes manual and I'm going into unchartered waters this weekend. My 96 SE 5 speed transmission has developed a leak in the hydraulic line going into the tranny. I've purchased the lines and I'm gonna change it this weekend. I know that I'll have to bleed the line to ensure maximum pressure but I'd like to have the literature to back me up. I wanna make sure there aren't any specific procedures in removing the old line and replacing the new. This request is a little out of the normal but I really need help. I wanna change the line on Saturday so if anyone could scan the corresponding pages out of their manual or just email me the procedure step by step. I'd really appreciate it. I'm even willing to send $5 bucks via paypal to the first member to help me. I only offer a paypal payment because I'll probably find my manual or buy another before you would receive a $5 check in the mail. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:18 AM

Where do you live, I will be in the Bronx tonight at St. Barnabas Hospital at 7:30 (I work there). If you could meet me there, I will let you borrow my manual (the Chiltons). St. Barnabas is at 183rd Street and Third Avenue( about 3/4 mile north of the Cross Bronx, right near Fordham Univrsity, and I will be in vehicle number 2501 tonight. Just roll up if you can.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:37 AM

Hey twin, just like a brother you're first to my aid........

Originally posted by medicsonic
Where do you live, I will be in the Bronx tonight at St. Barnabas Hospital at 7:30 (I work there). If you could meet me there, I will let you borrow my manual (the Chiltons). St. Barnabas is at 183rd Street and Third Avenue( about 3/4 mile north of the Cross Bronx, right near Fordham Univrsity, and I will be in vehicle number 2501 tonight. Just roll up if you can.
Hahahaha, thanks for your offer. Unfortunately I live in LI. I go to school and work in NYC though. As much as I'd like to meet you tonight I dont have my car (its home disabled) and Bronx is still a bit out of my way since I'm gonna stay in Brooklyn tonight. Do you have a digi cam? Do you think you could take some high res shots of the corresponding pages? I still cant believe I cant find my manual!!! Hey Medic could you photocopy the pages? If you could would it be possible to fax those pages to me? Gimme a shout on IM (I'm Stucky97) for anyone else that wants to help IM me there. I'll give you a fax number then.

Thanks Medic,
Kevin
Old 09-20-2001, 06:42 AM

Re: Hey twin, just like a brother you're first to my aid........

Originally posted by 2ndMAX

Hahahaha, thanks for your offer. Unfortunately I live in LI. I go to school and work in NYC though. As much as I'd like to meet you tonight I dont have my car (its home disabled) and Bronx is still a bit out of my way since I'm gonna stay in Brooklyn tonight. Do you have a digi cam? Do you think you could take some high res shots of the corresponding pages? I still cant believe I cant find my manual!!! Hey Medic could you photocopy the pages? If you could would it be possible to fax those pages to me? Gimme a shout on IM (I'm Stucky97) for anyone else that wants to help IM me there. I'll give you a fax number then.

Thanks Medic,
Kevin
I'll try Bro. Watch for me later today.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:59 PM

I'll try and get my Hayne's manual scanned in tonight if no one else can help you out.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

I have not done this but it's fairly easy. First of all, all it is a hard line from the clutch master clyinder to the mounting point on the top of the tranny(not in it) to the black flexible hose to the slave cylinder. When you push the clutch pedal, it pushes the fluid though and pushes the rod in the slave cylinder. That in turn, moves the shifter yolk that presses against the pressure plate.
Now with that, the hardest thing you have to deal with is getting the proper wrench to unscrew the hard line on the clutch master cylinder. These wrenches have a open end but the opening is much smaller than usual so you can get a better grip on the fitting. You might be able to use a normal open end wrench depending how tight the fitting is. Once you change the hardline (and rubber line too?), you have to rebleed the line. It's exactly like bleeding the brake lines. You can even find instructions online if you do a general search(I've seen it while doing other research). You might also have to bleed the clutch master clyinder too but again, instructions should be online.
My pay-pal is Jeff_Iwata@yahoo.com.