General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

should I get 2k 5speed SE or 99 5speed SE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 12:29 PM

should I get 2k 5speed SE or 99 5speed SE?

Hello all this is my first post and first look into the Maxima or even Nissan world for that matter. I have always been a honda man but am looking for more style and performance so the Maxima SE came to mind. This car will be mainly for my wife. She wanted the 98 TL but I talked her into the Maxima since I want to have fun when I get to drive it. Just don't know whether to get a 99 or 2k and whether to get auto or stick. She can drive my integra 5speed but doesn't know if she wants to have an auto instead. I like the looks of the 99 but like the rear legroom in the 2k..I understand performance is about the same for both. I guess I need for her to drive both since it will be her car but like being an informed buyer. I have read much on this topic and specs of both but have only driven the 2k 5speed and auto and not a 4th gen.
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2001, 12:56 PM
Administrator

2k 5spd
Old 09-20-2001, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
2k 5spd
looks like you have a 4th gen...just curious why you say 2k is what I should get..thanks!
Old 09-20-2001, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Ben4bamaMax

looks like you have a 4th gen...just curious why you say 2k is what I should get..thanks!
The 99 has stricter emmisions than the other 4th Gens so its slower..
The 99 in my opinion unless you like the shape is not a great value when you can have the 98 and 97 cheaper..
The 2k has the ability to get HID's (I am a rice boy at heart)
The 2k is newer than the 99
The 2k bone stock is faster than the 99 bone stock... 14's vs 15's no question.. they are 1 sec faster in 1/4 mile..
Old 09-20-2001, 01:05 PM
Administrator

now if you said a 97 SE 5spd and a 2k SE 5spd.. i would have to go 97
Old 09-20-2001, 01:12 PM

now if you said a 97 SE 5spd and a 2k SE 5spd.. i would have to go 97
SprintMax, I could look for a 97 5speed if they are that much faster..I like the rims on the 99. is it the same as on the 97?
I didn't mention 97 because they were the same body style. I would get a '96 if it is even faster or overall better but I'm worried the selection might not be as good with higher mileage and wear and tear.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:15 PM
Administrator

97 and the 99 are the same except Digital ODO.. everything else is the same.. same rims.. same everything..

the 97 bone stock is slower than the 2k bone stock.. but hey.. 97 bone stock with a supercharger is cheaper than a 2k bone stock

the 96 isn't faster than the 97 .. despite prior belief.. its the 95 thats faster than all the 4th Gens..

you can get 97's now with 30k/40k/50k miles.. thats a pretty good value for $10k - $13k

SprintMax, I could look for a 97 5speed if they are that much faster..I like the rims on the 99. is it the same as on the 97?
I didn't mention 97 because they were the same body style. I would get a '96 if it is even faster or overall better but I'm worried the selection might not be as good with higher mileage and wear and tear.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:21 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

97 and the 99 are the same except Digital ODO.. everything else is the same.. same rims.. same everything..
Not true:

Gauge needles are red
Vehicle Immobilizer Ignition System
Fuel gauge is flipped 180 degrees
2k model strut towers are used; requiring used of 2k+ FSTB....or a hacksaw
Available side airbags

Old 09-20-2001, 01:23 PM
Administrator

All Rendered:

Useless

Think about it bill.. you got all that stuff and you still have a minima

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Not true:

Gauge needles are red
Vehicle Immobilizer Ignition System
Fuel gauge is flipped 180 degrees
2k model strut towers are used; requiring used of 2k+ FSTB....or a hacksaw
Available side airbags

Old 09-20-2001, 01:25 PM
Administrator

oh and keep this in mind bill:

V2 Supercharger 95 - 98 Maxima: $3390
V2 Supercharger 99 - 2k1 Maxima: $3980
Old 09-20-2001, 01:25 PM

SprintMax, thanks for you comments. I will consider everything you said. I am able to buy the car at an auto auction so I should get a good deal. I just hope the selection of cars is good so I don't have to keep going back to find the right one. I would love to save $7k by getting a 97 vs 2k. I just want a car with low miles and not wrecked. I don't know how hard that might be to find one in that condition. I was thinking that the 2k was slower than 4th gens because of different reviews I've read but I trust your experience with the stock times to be correct. I plan to keep the car stock anyway. Thanks again!!! I'll let you know what I get. It may not be for a couple of months but I'll let you know!
Old 09-20-2001, 01:28 PM
Administrator

for all the knowledge i have given you... just keep me one promise.. no matter what you buy.. please... please .. please.. don't buy the AUTO

well you can get a very good condition 97 with 30k miles nicely priced.. or the 2k would be a nice addition too..

good luck..

SprintMax, thanks for you comments. I will consider everything you said. I am able to buy the car at an auto auction so I should get a good deal. I just hope the selection of cars is good so I don't have to keep going back to find the right one. I would love to save $7k by getting a 97 vs 2k. I just want a car with low miles and not wrecked. I don't know how hard that might be to find one in that condition. I was thinking that the 2k was slower than 4th gens because of different reviews I've read but I trust your experience with the stock times to be correct. I plan to keep the car stock anyway. Thanks again!!! I'll let you know what I get. It may not be for a couple of months but I'll let you know!
Old 09-20-2001, 01:33 PM

I don't care what people say.....the 5th gen 5-speed bone stock IS NOT faster than the 4th gen...of any year. I ran MAX2000JP's 5-speed when we were both bone stock...and we were DEAD even. Our shifts were all right with each other, and neither of us pulled at all. Also about the 99 being slower, the fastest near stock auto max that I've seen is a 99 SE-L....He has only an intake and a muffler, and from 40-90 a 5th gen 5-speed with an intake and y-pipe can only pull 3/4s of a car....that's one quick auto.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:35 PM
Administrator

i am just going by numbers..

the 2k max 5spd has ran 14.8 bone stock at the track more than 1 time.. 3 times actually..

i havn't seen 3 4th gens run 14's bone stock..
Old 09-20-2001, 01:37 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

for all the knowledge i have given you... just keep me one promise.. no matter what you buy.. please... please .. please.. don't buy the AUTO

well you can get a very good condition 97 with 30k miles nicely priced.. or the 2k would be a nice addition too..

good luck..

Hey...auto's arent so bad. Overdrive is nice, and we can still manual shift from 1st gear. There's more torque there!

I just bought an '95 Maxima SE AUTOMATIC with only 50k miles. It looks new, and the engine is in great condition and could easily last me 9 more years.

Go 1995. You'll have the FASTEST maxima and money left to supercharge it. UUhhhh man then you will be kicking some serious ***.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:39 PM
Administrator

my condolences on your purchase
Originally posted by Craig Mack

Hey...auto's arent so bad. Overdrive is nice, and we can still manual shift from 1st gear. There's more torque there!

I just bought an '95 Maxima SE AUTOMATIC with only 50k miles. It looks new, and the engine is in great condition and could easily last me 9 more years.

Go 1995. You'll have the FASTEST maxima and money left to supercharge it. UUhhhh man then you will be kicking some serious ***.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:52 PM

thanks, guys, now I'm more confused than ever! Not really :-) I'll either do one of the following: decide I like the 2k for reasons other than performance and get it and don't look back OR get the best low mileage 4th gen of any year and save lots of money. SprintMax, if it was solely up to me...I mean going to be my car I.. would promise you a 5speed but since it isn't then I will just have to let her drive one and see if she likes it and pray that she does!
Old 09-20-2001, 01:54 PM
Administrator

if thats the case.. please.. give me your paypal address.. rent a wreck with a 5spd.. have her burn the clutch out, ride the clutch and learn to drive it .. and send me the bill for the rental

we don't need anymore AUTO's populating the world.. someone needs to kill them all before they reproduce

thanks, guys, now I'm more confused than ever! Not really :-) I'll either do one of the following: decide I like the 2k for reasons other than performance and get it and don't look back OR get the best low mileage 4th gen of any year and save lots of money. SprintMax, if it was solely up to me...I mean going to be my car I.. would promise you a 5speed but since it isn't then I will just have to let her drive one and see if she likes it and pray that she does!
Old 09-20-2001, 02:17 PM

if thats the case.. please.. give me your paypal address.. rent a wreck with a 5spd.. have her burn the clutch out, ride the clutch and learn to drive it .. and send me the bill for the rental

we don't need anymore AUTO's populating the world.. someone needs to kill them all before they reproduce

Geo Prizm rules!!
Old 09-20-2001, 02:41 PM

More than 90% of Maximas sold have auto trans. Nissan would go bankrupt if they only offer 5-speed transmission for their cars. It's highly doubtful that your opinions matter with Nissan or the majority of Maxima buyers, since you are a "minority owner".
Old 09-20-2001, 04:01 PM

AMEN! Preach brother! I'll share that bill!

Old 09-20-2001, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Maximus97SE

More than 90% of Maximas sold have auto trans. Nissan would go bankrupt if they only offer 5-speed transmission for their cars. It's highly doubtful that your opinions matter with Nissan or the majority of Maxima buyers, since you are a "minority owner".
you own an AUTO don't you
Old 09-20-2001, 04:38 PM
RussMaxManiac

Sorry but a good driver behind both cars the 2k will be faster. A stock 4th gen has never hit 14s. A stock 5th gen has many at that. I have ran many heavy modded 4th gens and all I have is a intake. I pull on them all the time. One time 4 one night in Austin

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I don't care what people say.....the 5th gen 5-speed bone stock IS NOT faster than the 4th gen...of any year. I ran MAX2000JP's 5-speed when we were both bone stock...and we were DEAD even. Our shifts were all right with each other, and neither of us pulled at all. Also about the 99 being slower, the fastest near stock auto max that I've seen is a 99 SE-L....He has only an intake and a muffler, and from 40-90 a 5th gen 5-speed with an intake and y-pipe can only pull 3/4s of a car....that's one quick auto.

Old 09-20-2001, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Do i hear an echo?

i am just going by numbers..

the 2k max 5spd has ran 14.8 bone stock at the track more than 1 time.. 3 times actually..

i havn't seen 3 4th gens run 14's bone stock..
Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Sorry but a good driver behind both cars the 2k will be faster. A stock 4th gen has never hit 14s. A stock 5th gen has many at that. I have ran many heavy modded 4th gens and all I have is a intake. I pull on them all the time. One time 4 one night in Austin

Old 09-20-2001, 05:01 PM

Sprintmax, I bet if you were drunk off your *** and forgot you even had a maxima, I could beat you in a race
Old 09-20-2001, 05:05 PM

Actually, it was only 97%/3% Auto/Manual Maximas last year......
Old 09-20-2001, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

99s aren't so bad

The 99 Maximas are only a wee bit slower because their Y pipe has the front of the Y's Pre-cat shoved a little further up the Maxima's butt, so to speak, restricting the exhaust a little more than the earlier years. If you're gonna get a Y pipe, then that point is redundant. It's all the same VQ after that.

Another thing, only 99s have those sexy limiteds, especially the red SE limiteds. Rare indeed in this neck of the woods. I wouldn't count them out.

My 2 cents

DW
Old 09-20-2001, 05:42 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Hey!

Get the 2k, if it's a pick between a 2k and a 99... get the damn 2k! It's faster. It's newer.
If you like both body styles equally but would like to save some serious $, find a low miles 97 SE.. Shouldn't cost you more than 16 grand loaded. I bet way less than that. I got my 98 GXE w/ sunroof and power seat for a little over 10 grand. Car had 57k miles. This was 2 months ago. Oh yea, it's an auto too...and autos are generally more expensive..

One thing no one has mentioned.... didn't 99 Maxes have "traction control" also? which was the 1st year for maximas?
Old 09-20-2001, 05:43 PM

All I know is stock for stock, my 95 SE auto is faster than a 96-99 auto or a '00 or '01 auto.

Fosho
Old 09-20-2001, 05:56 PM
RussMaxManiac

All I know is stock for stock, my 95 SE auto is faster than a 96-99 auto or a '00 or '01 auto.

Fosho
Wrong.. Max meet in Dallas proved that with my auto with ypipe and cai, vs a 4th gen Auto with ypipe, catback exhaust, rt cat, udp, cai, among other things. I pulled him over 1 1/2 cars by the time I hit 3rd gear. We have pictures of this event one of the other Max members took.

The autos are faster, especially once rolling.

Old 09-20-2001, 06:12 PM

WTF ?

Hmmm...car and driver clocked the 2k 5spd at 7 second. 6.5 for 95 5spd.

Consumer car buying clocked 2k1 automagic at 7.8 seconds. 7.3 for mine.

Those are professional drivers though. And either way you and I have some tight *** cars. Both could be faster, but all are great.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:10 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: WTF ?

Hmmm...car and driver clocked the 2k 5spd at 7 second. 6.5 for 95 5spd.

Consumer car buying clocked 2k1 automagic at 7.8 seconds. 7.3 for mine.

Those are professional drivers though. And either way you and I have some tight *** cars. Both could be faster, but all are great.
Obviously you are a newbie. Because you haven't been around long enough to know the facts. MT Magazine, 6.7 0-60 for a 2k 5spd. 6.6 0-60 for a 95. (That can be driver error). 1/4 15.3-15.6 for a 5spd 4th gen per the magazine, 15.1 from most magazines for the 5th gen. Drives have gotten 14.7 from a stock 5th gen 5spd. Auto 15.4 is the best time stock for a 5th gen auto.

Remember, MAGAZINES do not manually shift the trannies. The 4th gen autos go all the way up to redline and shift. The 5th gen shifts at 6200 rpm, 200 rpm short of full 222hp peak. Manually shift it, gives you teh full power and gives you the ability to move past any 4th gen. Most my races wtih 4th gens I really don't pull on them till after 5500rpm and its just ugly after that.

Below if you look, its pretty obvious which car is faster. (5th gen). The autos are very very close, but like I said, they don't manually shift the autos. I have owned both 4th and 5th gens. I owned a 96, 98, 2000, 2001. The 5th gen defintely is faster. I have had both autos and 5spds in both. I ran my auto stock. 16.2 at 88mph with 55lb each momo arrow wheels on it. I got a CAI, 15.8 at 92 mph! GEEE Wize, what a difference! Still look at the traps. Much higher than a 4th gen auto.

Paul2kGXE ran 15.4 in his auto max stock.

You proved to me in this post, you don't even know your figures straight. 6.5 incorrect, 6.6 is correct. I have no idea the difference between mt and c&d but there times vary way to much.

Here is a list that is compiled of all the times...

Mag Date 0-60 5-60 1/4 ET @mph Model Trans Magazine Feature
--- 2nd Generation ---
MT 1/88 10.3 --- 17.8 78 88 GXE auto Nissan Maxima GXE
--- 3rd Generation ---
MT 6/89 9.8 --- 17.3 81 89 GXE auto Cressida vs. Maxima
C&D 9/91 8.0 8.7 16.3 85 91 SE 5sp Six Packs to go
MT 10/91 7.6 --- 15.9 89 92 SE 5sp Warning: Magnum on Board
C&D 11/91 6.7 7.3 15.3 91 92 SE 5sp Short Take
C&D 8/92 7.0 7.5 15.5 91 92 SE 5sp Maxima,SHO,Camry comparison
--- 4th Generation ---
C&D*11/95 8.1 8.8 16.4 85 95 GXE auto Family Four-Doors
C&D 5/95 7.7 7.9 16.1 87 95 I30t auto I30t Road Test
MT 2/95 7.6 --- 15.7 90 95 GXE auto 1995 Import Car of the Year
C&D 5/95 7.3 7.8 15.9 87 95 SE auto Romp in the Woods
Emds 7.9 --- ---- -- 97 SE auto Edmunds web site
R&T 6/94 7.4 --- 15.7 90 95 SE 5sp Road Test
AM** 8/95 6.6 --- 15.2 92 95 GXE 5sp Great Cars for $20K
C&D 1/96 6.7 7.2 15.3 92 95 SE 5sp Long Term Test, new
C&D 1/96 6.6 7.0 15.2 93 95 SE 5sp Long Term Test, 40K miles
MT** 2/95 6.6 --- 15.2 92 95 SE 5sp 1995 Import Car of the Year
MT 1/97 7.1 --- 97 SE 5sp Intrigue vs. Camry vs. Maxima
R&T 6/97 7.1 --- 15.5 91 97 SE 5sp Max/Jetta/Integra/AudiA4/Legacy
Emds 6.9 --- ---- -- 97 SE 5sp Edmunds web site
MT 12/96 6.7 --- 15.1 92 96 SMX 5sp Extreme Sedans***
C&D 6/96 6.4 6.9 15.1 92 96 SMX 5sp SMX Road Test***
MY 12/98 5.9 --- 14.4 99 98 SMXsc 5sp Stillen Supercharged SMX
--- 5th Generation ---
C&D 6/99 7.0 7.5 15.6 91 00 SE 5sp 2000 Nissan Maxima SE****
R&T 5/00 7.8 --- 15.9 00 SE auto 2000 Nissan Maxima GXE
R&T 6/99 7.0 --- 15.4 00 SE 5sp 2000 Nissan Maxima SE
M&T 7/99 6.7 --- 15.1 94.4 00 SE 5sp 2000 Nissan Maxima SE
M&T 12/99 8.1 --- 16.2 85.9 00 SE auto 2000 Nissan Maxima SE
C&D 2/00 8.0 8.6 16.1 87 00 I30t auto Ennui and Upward (Infiniti I30t)+

Old 09-20-2001, 07:15 PM

Ok Ok geez. I'm just goin with the mags here. I'm not a newbie persay to maxima's. My dad has a 95 GXE since 94 that he gave to my sis and i just got my maxima. So I am very familier with them, just not in the way you are.

I'm sure you have more experience than I do. We are all maxima lovers here !
Old 09-20-2001, 07:25 PM
My 4DSC

I dont think his girlfriend/wife/whatever will be able to tell the difference between a hi 14 and low 15 sec car, actually ANYONE would be hard pressed to tell the difference judging by the seat of their pants...

With that said, just consider features, styling, mileage, condition and cost and make your decision...

but we all know 5th gens RULE!!

Old 09-20-2001, 08:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Russ if you owned a 4th gen auto then how can you say it shifts at redline????? From what I have heard and from my own experience the 4th gen in drive shifts at like 6200 out of first. I have to manually shift it at like 6200 to hit 6500 redline. Same in the 2nd to third shift. I do believe 0-60 4th and 5th gen autos are close. Over that the 5th gen is faster. I love reading your posts and have for years. You defend what car YOU OWN (at the time) till the cows come home. LOL The truth is my 99 is a dissapointment to me.....mostly from the paint that scratches thru to the primer when looked at wrong to the depreciation......I do love the fact that it will beat 75% of the cars out there and it is fun to drive but it looks like crap from the 2 cent paint job. And I'm not even gonna talk about dealer service.
Old 09-20-2001, 08:42 PM
RussMaxManiac

My 96 auto shifted at 6400 rpm. 5th gens shift at 6200rpm. You als have to remember that the tac's are delayed as well.

Originally posted by KL99SEA
Russ if you owned a 4th gen auto then how can you say it shifts at redline????? From what I have heard and from my own experience the 4th gen in drive shifts at like 6200 out of first. I have to manually shift it at like 6200 to hit 6500 redline. Same in the 2nd to third shift. I do believe 0-60 4th and 5th gen autos are close. Over that the 5th gen is faster. I love reading your posts and have for years. You defend what car YOU OWN (at the time) till the cows come home. LOL The truth is my 99 is a dissapointment to me.....mostly from the paint that scratches thru to the primer when looked at wrong to the depreciation......I do love the fact that it will beat 75% of the cars out there and it is fun to drive but it looks like crap from the 2 cent paint job. And I'm not even gonna talk about dealer service.

Old 09-20-2001, 08:43 PM

Dayum! You guys are cracking me up something serious!!! But I got to hand it to ya! you guys are very mature in the way you debate! I mean I'm a part of a couple of other car enthusiast message boards and you guys are more civilized...I like it. I guess because the type of car attracts a different type of person and I like what I hear from this board. So thanks very much for your replies and I will let you guys know what I end up with.. stick or auto, 4th or 5th. To me I don't think I can go wrong as long as I get a Maxima over an accord or TL. if up to me then no doubt a 5speed since that is all I've ever driven. My wife can drive a stick, but she'll just have to drive one and see if she wants to all the time.. Peace!
Old 09-20-2001, 11:24 PM

Dayum! You guys are cracking me up something serious!!! But I got to hand it to ya! you guys are very mature in the way you debate! So thanks very much for your replies and I will let you guys know what I end up with.. stick or auto, 4th or 5th.
Go with what your wife and you like or what your wife likes for that matter since it will be for her. Don't worry about mag times and that stick ot auto debate which is faster thing. Unless you are purchasing a maxima for racing then get a stick. I personally like both the 4th and 5th gen maximas. I even stare at them whenever i am in my Maxima. I agree with My 4DSC and whatever you choose just make sure that you guys (you and your wife)are happy with it.

As far as the guys and the ladies on this board, i'll definetely agree that they are very mature and very cool. I learn alot from the guys here which is why i like reading everyones thoughts and opinions. Good luck with your future Maxima.
Old 09-21-2001, 12:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

but the 2k 5th Gens seem sooo refined! More solid doors, less road noise, roomier.

I guess I'm focusing on the non-performance facts, huh?

I rented a 2001 Maxima, seemed much faster, smoother, and stronger than my 96. both stock AUTOS btw.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:47 AM
Former Sponsor

If your wife doesnt want a 5spd, RUN for the TL is all I can say and make it a 2000 TL with the 5spd, skip the 99 4spd or you'll be running 7.4 0-60s instead of 6.7s on the 2000 + TLs and there is always the TL-S 0-60 in 6.2

but seriously, a 1997 Maxima is a great car, I have one and YES its a 5spd but the 5spd is worth all the leather and digital odo, and alll that... but find me an SE-L with a 5spd and I would give it a second thought.
but then again I got my 1997 for 10K with 40K miles, quite a steal if you ask me.

btw welcome to the org, we tend to be more mature than the average honduh peeples but we still have alot of fun

but remember GXE PRIDE!

Quick Reply: should I get 2k 5speed SE or 99 5speed SE?