General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

With all this talk about painting your calipers, I have an idea....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 06:00 PM

With all this talk about painting your calipers, I have an idea....

Lately I have been seeing a lot of people painting their calipers. Now I just came up with this idea....I originally was planning on going to paint my calipers red. Then I stumbled on an idea to go along with that. I thought about making a stencil with MAXIMA and paint it onto the caliper like the 300zx calipers say NISSAN. Well I was thinking about putting MAXIMA. And if I mess up, you can just paint over it with the red. I was thinking about doing the MAXIMA in white. How do you guys think that would look?? Be honest now...
Old 09-23-2001, 06:01 PM

Old 09-23-2001, 06:09 PM

good idea!

porsche has that too. I reallllly like that idea!!!! Do it dude, and lemme know how it goes. Would you paint the caliper red, and then paint maxima white over it?
Old 09-23-2001, 06:11 PM

Re: good idea!

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
porsche has that too. I reallllly like that idea!!!! Do it dude, and lemme know how it goes. Would you paint the caliper red, and then paint maxima white over it?
Yea red caliper, I guess let it dry for a day, then have MAXIMA in white on top of it using a stencil. Now I gotta find a good font to do it in....
Old 09-23-2001, 06:13 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

I would paint the caliper white first, then go around the stencil in red, otherwise if you go red first it would really look pink, wich is kindof gay. It would probably be easier that way too.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:13 PM

Post pics the second its done. Im really interested in this! I think id totally mess somthing like this up though. I suck at drwaing/painting, etc.
Old 09-23-2001, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Rob'sAE
I would paint the caliper white first, then go around the stencil in red, otherwise if you go red first it would really look pink, wich is kindof gay. It would probably be easier that way too.
Hmmm never thought of that...I think I might take that into consideration...What do you other guys think?
Old 09-23-2001, 06:18 PM

what about black calipers with red paint?
Old 09-23-2001, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
what about black calipers with red paint?
or red calipers with black MAXIMA...
Old 09-23-2001, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that would look pretty sweet, red and white or even black and white. Remember to post pics if u ever do it
Old 09-23-2001, 06:22 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

That would stand out nicely. what about yellow with red letters? Or red with white? Silver & blue? Blue & silver. You know guys, we might be on to something here
Old 09-23-2001, 06:24 PM

Well I will most likely paint the calipers red, and lets see either black or silver MAXIMA stencil. How does that sound?
Old 09-23-2001, 06:34 PM

I really want the red/white combo. So I have another idea on how to use both those colors. It will probably be time consuming, but the result with be worth it. Cut out two stencils. One that has Maxima cut out, and keep the piece that was cut out. Put the MAXIMA piece that was cut out where you want it on the caliper then paint the caliper red, leaving MAXIMA untouched. Then put the stencil with MAXIMA cut out over MAXIMA and paint that part white. How does that sound?? Please tell me I not crazy? It probably seems harder than it actually is.
Old 09-23-2001, 07:02 PM

Can anyone suggest a good font for MAXIMA?
Old 09-23-2001, 07:34 PM

i say use the same font that the .org stickers come in, Ask the Moderator Kev on the 5th gen board, He has a link to the font a while ago, i think it would look really crazy to have the the same font as the stickers...then again its my opinion...take care
Old 09-23-2001, 07:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what i have had planned when i get rims is to paint the calipers red/black and then "max" in chrome on all the calipers.. wanted to do this for about 6 months.. havent tried it yet.. but the easiest way to do it is:

Paint the caliper the color you want it
Take the stencil and place it where you want it.. leave it was a cutout inside of a square
Tape everything else off and then paint it..

This is probably the most effective way.. I was also gonna do this on the valve cover, in reverse tho.. chrome cover black letters.. red/black and chromed out nissan.. but havent had the time.. good luck
Old 09-23-2001, 10:05 PM

what kind of paint are you guys using? I been looking for a metallic blue color...
Old 09-23-2001, 10:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

any high temp engine paint, but they make Caliper paint.. search i am sure you can find some stuff ranging from 10-20 dollars a can.. good stuff..
Old 09-24-2001, 12:21 PM

Re: With all this talk about painting your calipers, I have an idea....

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Lately I have been seeing a lot of people painting their calipers. Now I just came up with this idea....I originally was planning on going to paint my calipers red. Then I stumbled on an idea to go along with that. I thought about making a stencil with MAXIMA and paint it onto the caliper like the 300zx calipers say NISSAN. Well I was thinking about putting MAXIMA. And if I mess up, you can just paint over it with the red. I was thinking about doing the MAXIMA in white. How do you guys think that would look?? Be honest now...
YES! I saw a MB ML55 AMG the other day that had this exact look. Red calipers with Mercedes Benz in white. Looked really sweet! for an SUV.
Old 09-24-2001, 12:38 PM

There isn't very much room on the Maxima caliper for all this. The 300ZX calipers have raised up letters and most people paint the entire caliper and then sand off the letters. Another issue is the fact that factory calipers are cast and have very uneven surfaces. Paint masking like that requires a very smooth surface or there will be lots of overspray/drip. Also making the stencil is tough, especially if you try to do it by hand. If you guys want it, I have the actual Maxima Logo(scanned from the emblem off Shadow's trunk) which you could use to cut it out of. Personally, I would get the cutout made in paint mask vinyl which is low tack to keep from peeling up paint. That way you have a perfectly adhesive mask that should paint well and is cut perfectly.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
Well I will most likely paint the calipers red, and lets see either black or silver MAXIMA stencil. How does that sound?
i think it would look much better if you used the silver. it will definately stand out more & the silver has a bit of reflective ness to it that will add a more dramatic flare
Old 09-24-2001, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by 99NosMax

i think it would look much better if you used the silver. it will definately stand out more & the silver has a bit of reflective ness to it that will add a more dramatic flare
Silver calipers and white MAXIMA?
Old 09-24-2001, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Mishap
If you guys want it, I have the actual Maxima Logo(scanned from the emblem off Shadow's trunk) which you could use to cut it out of.
Can you e-mail me the pic of the MAXIMA logo. grdmasterg2@yahoo.com
Thanks!

I don't care how hard its going to be, its all in the fun
Old 09-24-2001, 03:11 PM

Go red and Black. I was thinking about getting leatehr interior in that scheme. What you guys think?

SuDZ
Old 09-24-2001, 10:27 PM

Here's the image. You gotta use something nonporous and thick to make sure it doesn't bleed through. Good luck
Old 09-25-2001, 12:04 AM

sorry if i'm repeating any comments.. i haven't read half the posts on this thread because i'm tired.. an easy way to make the lettering look real clean and sharp is to use decals..

lets say you want the letters black.. so you spray a portion of the calipers where you plan to have the letters black (with either brake caliper paint or extremely hi temp paint) then wait for it to completely dry.. then go get decals with the font you like best.. and put the decals on the way you want the letters to show up.. after the decals are on, paint the calipers with red, over the decals and stuff.. then wait for it to completely dry, peel off the decals and there you go, the decals serve the purpose of "masking" what you dont' want painted.. i was thinking of making mine say "mingo" but then now that i have the 300zx calipers the nissan will do for me.

oh yeah and if you fail then i'ms orry, i will not take responsibilty for any property damage or bodily damage, or even death.. this is just a recomondation on how you may go about in acheiving you goal

-daniel
Old 09-25-2001, 12:07 AM

what kind of paint are you guys using to paint you calipers and where are you getting it from? still looking for metallic blue...
Old 09-25-2001, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
2nd that
Old 09-25-2001, 07:46 AM

what bout taking off those maxima sign off 95-96 maxima's and sticking them onto caliper, if it doesnt fit then you can just put "M A X". IF in order to do this you might need a double sided tape which hold's in extreme heat. (do they even make them? ) well this is just my idea.....i think it will really look nice on red calipers with chrome letters...
Old 09-25-2001, 09:12 AM

already one step ahead of you guys. did this about 4 months ago. i post pics later today.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:14 AM
SMX

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mingo
[B]sorry if i'm repeating any comments.. i haven't read half the posts on this thread because i'm tired.. an easy way to make the lettering look real clean and sharp is to use decals..

The problem is that vinyl (which is a light grade of plastic) is that it cannot take paint, believe me we have tried. What happens is that the vinyl begins to shrink, It looks a heat gun was left on the stickers too long We tried it with different grade vinyl with no luck.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:53 AM

There's special paint mask vinyls you can buy for this stuff.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by sx7r
already one step ahead of you guys. did this about 4 months ago. i post pics later today.
Care to share how you did it? I really want to do this and some help from someone who already did it would be great.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:07 AM

Where do you get that?
Old 09-25-2001, 11:18 AM
SMX

Used it was not happen with the results. We paint it, stock it on the caliper and clear coated it to help seal it, but it was not doing a very good job sticking.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:37 PM

The stuff's meant to be cut in the reverse of the design you want and applied before painting. Then you paint over the mask, wait for it to dry and peel away the vinyl leaving the image from the mask. The heat of a caliper will melt that stuff right off. Clear coat and paint won't really protect it. Its just a thicker grade of vinyl w/ an absorbant top layer to absorb some excess paint. Its also low tack to prevent peeling of lower layers of paint.
Old 09-26-2001, 04:57 PM

OoO i like your car mishap

how u like the skunks??? theyr'e skunks right???

my bro has the tein but might need to rebuild the shocks.. getting softer.. those are great tho.. he also has the same gen prelude as you.
Old 09-26-2001, 05:36 PM

Just get some stickers made. They have stickers for Lexus calipars, and they are sized and everything to fit just right.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by 97GreenMax
Just get some stickers made. They have stickers for Lexus calipars, and they are sized and everything to fit just right.
Where do you get those? (for Nissan)
Old 09-27-2001, 04:08 PM

Paint

VHT makes caliper paint in a bunch of different colors. And it's only about $5 a can. I did two cars with one can. Just make sure you use brake cleaner and a scrub brush on the calipers. The heat from the brakes will bake the paint on.

Quick Reply: With all this talk about painting your calipers, I have an idea....