General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Intrax Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 11:00 AM

Intrax Lowering Springs

I was wondering if Intrax Springs are any good, becuase Summit sells a set of 1.75" lowering springs for $190.
Old 09-28-2001, 11:05 AM

I dont know from experience but from I have heard, they ride kind of ruff and sag in the back a little. But I think you should wait for someone with actual experience before you make a decision...
Old 09-28-2001, 11:55 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I installed them a couple weekends ago. The gap is 2" in the front and 1.2" in the rear. They don't sag, instead the Maxima front wheelwell is larger and taller than the rear. That's just how FWD cars are. The springs make the car sit even. Sprints and others actually lift the rear to make the gaps look even.

The ride is really good for the low drop. I've got Koni's (softest setting) in the front and KYB GR-2s in the rear. When you hit a good bump it's a decent jolt, but potholes create the harshness. The only thing that bothers me about the springs is that they are noisy on certain rutted surfaces. I've pulled a part my suspension twice in an attempt to locate the noises. After talking to others how have/had Intrax, it appears this is just a problem with the springs. I rarely here the noises unless I turn my radio off and I'm on a rutted surface. I'm going to do some work in the coils to see if I can't quiet them. I use to have Suspension Techniques springs, but I really wanted a lower drop. I love it. Remember that the lower you go, the more rough the car will ride over bumps. My car doesn't ride harsh nor is it bumpy, but when you hit a small road imperfection, you feel it. This isn't a Oldsmobile.

Dave
Old 09-28-2001, 12:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have intrax as well, they do sag and i know i sit lower than two inches in the back.. maybe because of my subs.. but, i have them with tokicos so it is the most uncomfortable ride ever imagined, i am looking to get some GC's.. But as far as the drop it is one of the lower drops.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:06 PM

I have had my Intrax springs since about 30,000 miles. Now I have 65k and I am still riding on the original shocks/struts! I am overall really pleased with the ride, comfort, and look of the Intrax springs. It felt like a completely new car when I put the Intrax in because they are so stiff, however it does get a little bumpy on bad roads. At the time when I got my springs, they were the most progressive drop available. My friend who has a civic riding on Sprint Springs and KYB AGX's cannot believe how comfortable the ride of the car is, compared to his. I am sure this will change a little bit once I finally get my KYB AGX's. If you are looking for the low stance without getting into a coil over application, then definately go with the Intrax Springs.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:43 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Those GCs will be unbearable if you think the Intrax are bad. The reason you want to the GCs is because you want the lower drop, right? Since your Intrax ride pretty bad (most likely due to your stereo bottoming out the struts), the GCs will be much worse. The lower you go, the less wheel travel you'll have. Right now you've got about 2.5" of wheel travel and with the GCs you'll have about 1". I've driven my buddies Del Sol with coilovers (1" travel) and the car feels dangerous. It's very bouncy, hoppy, and unstable and this is with brandnew struts and poly bushings. According to Maxima owners with GCs, this is what you can expect from GCs on a Max. Just want to give you fair warning on what to expect.

Dave
Old 09-28-2001, 03:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

this is true with the lower drop but mainly for show.. everyday driving i will keep the drop to 2-2.5 in the back and 2.25-2.75 in the front.. sounds like it will be raked, but it will be even with my stereo.. i know the GC's will be bad, but it cant be worse than what i have now because i have the wrong combo spring/struts.. if its really really really worse, then i will grab some koni's
Old 09-28-2001, 04:09 PM

GC actually reccomends that you use the konis......