General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Buying a Max, What can a mechanic tell you? (and Carfax ?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 06:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buying a Max, What can a mechanic tell you? (and Carfax ?)

I will (hopefully) be buying a 4th gen Maxima soon. If I have a mechanic inspect the car before I buy it, what will he be able to tell me? Will he be able to tell if the car has been beaten or driven hard? How much should a pre-purchase inspection cost? Any specific problems I should look for on a 5 speed Maxima?

Also does Carfax tell you about any accidents the car has been in, only major ones, or only if the car was totaled? Who does carfax check with for accidents, insurance companies, registry, someplace else?
Old 10-01-2001, 06:28 AM

By far the easiest and best way to check the state of an engine is by doing a compression test. This by itself wil tell you A LOT about the engine. Other good ways of testing the car are a Blackstone oil test (costs about 19 bucks and takes a few days) and of course, the visual inspetion of parts. A car with a good history will do just fine on all of those tests.
Carfax searches states DMV databases to eastabish its own database. It will tell you what the milage should be, and totals, lemons, or other negative things that are attributed to the car.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:31 AM
Administrator

only thing you need to ensure is that it has a clutch a lot of these "5 speed" owners around here are shifting their cars without clutches.. from 1 to 2 to D .. don't ask me how
Old 10-01-2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
only thing you need to ensure is that it has a clutch a lot of these "5 speed" owners around here are shifting their cars without clutches.. from 1 to 2 to D .. don't ask me how

Dude, you did it to me again.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by medicsonic

Dude, you did it to me again.
did what?
Old 10-01-2001, 09:13 AM

Re: Buying a Max, What can a mechanic tell you? (and Carfax ?)

Originally posted by Anachronism
I will (hopefully) be buying a 4th gen Maxima soon. If I have a mechanic inspect the car before I buy it, what will he be able to tell me? Will he be able to tell if the car has been beaten or driven hard? How much should a pre-purchase inspection cost? Any specific problems I should look for on a 5 speed Maxima?

Also does Carfax tell you about any accidents the car has been in, only major ones, or only if the car was totaled? Who does carfax check with for accidents, insurance companies, registry, someplace else?

It all depends how much you know about cars. If you frequently work on your own cars, then you should be able to do the inspection yourself. But I bet most used car sellers would not like you prodding around the engine before you buy the car. A mechanics inspection will cost $100 or so and should point out any major problems with the powertrain, suspension, and brakes.

I know my insurance, AAA, has a service where an approved mechanic will check the used car for $99.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax

5spd? What's a 5spd?

Jim