General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

wat the diff between a turbo and a s/c

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 06:56 PM

wat the diff between a turbo and a s/c

how do each of them work in the car?
wats the difference?
which saves more gas?
which add more HP?
which is better for the engine?
wat are some advantages and dis of each?

thx
Old 10-02-2001, 06:57 PM
Administrator

check jeff k's site
Old 10-02-2001, 07:01 PM

whos jeffk.. url?
Old 10-02-2001, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Jeff K aka MegaMax.. i think his name is Jeff K here.. i forgot his site address... but he has a great write up on both topics and the differences
Old 10-02-2001, 07:45 PM

from http://www.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

Question : What is the difference between a turbo charger and a supercharger on a car's engine?

Answer: Let's start with the similarities. Both turbochargers and superchargers are called forced induction systems. They both compress the air flowing into the engine. The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine stuff more air in a cylinder. More air means that more fuel can be stuffed in too. Therefore you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbo/supercharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging.

The typical boost provided by either a turbocharger or a supercharger is 6 to 8 PSI. Since normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 PSI at sea level, you can see that you are getting about 50% more air into the engine. Therefore you would expect to get 50% more power. It's not perfectly efficient, so you might get a 30% to 40% improvement instead.

The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A tuborcharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine which in turn spins the compressor.

There are tradeoffs between both systems. In theory a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and it also tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Patrick O'Day
from http://www.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm

Hehe...I love that iste. There are so many things there to learn about.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:56 PM

I'd like to add or expand a little bit...turbo's take awhile to build pressure so they have lag at the biginging of the power band...superchargers don't have to build nearly the same way so the power builds from the beginging so you feel it much lower in the power band.
Niether really get better gas milage then the other both will depend how much fuel you dump in to the engine.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:21 PM

soundslike sc is better, why are people complaining about the vortech s/c.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:14 PM

I agree with you I feel s/c are better you get power you can use on the road...Ive driven quick spooling high output turbo's still don't like the way they work. I guess they complain cuz it's expensive but hey all car mods are expensive.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:18 PM
syc

supercharger is good for low end and mid power. the disadvantage is that some waste of power(work) from the engine is going to drive the supercharger. even though there is some kind of "time lag" using turbo (yes, this time lag still can not be minimized with today's tech), however, depending on WHAT KIND OF CAR and WHAT YOU ARE RACING, turbo is sometimes much better than the supercharger. The price isn't the primary reason people put in the turbo. For a Maixma, man, its a 6-cylinder-3.0-liter-big-***-power-street car. But think about the rally race! what kind of car they driving? what do they put in their cars?
Old 10-02-2001, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by syc
There is some kind of "time lag" using turbo. This time lag still can not be minimized with today's tech.
I just wanted to comment on this statement. I have a T-3 in my car and I don't hit full boost until 2900 RPM's even though my turbo is very small and 'should' spool faster than a larger turbo. While cruising on the freeway at 3300 RPM's it still takes 1 second to hit full boost if I should WOT it. This is because turbos work on gas flow. If you have high levels of vacuum, not much exhaust is flowing through the turbine, and consequently its not spinning to produce any boost. A S/C on the other hand works based on RPM's. The higher the RPM's, the more boost you have, period. If you were to WOT a S/C'ed car at 3300 RPM's you would have instant full boost. Some people have said that with proper sized turbines, you can have more effective low end or 'punch' but I disagree with that because even with the quickest spooling turbo, its powered by the gas flow, which is not a lot when you first slam the gas, and then it has to pressurize the ducting between the turbo and the TB. A S/C will always be pressurizing the intake tract unless you have a bypass valve(or BOV) set to automatically open when there is vacuum in the manifold, so it won't have to pressurize that volume before pressurizing the intake tract and getting more air into the cylinder.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:14 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

mmm interesting topic

the Stillen supercharger does have lag also. its not as noticeable but its there. Like some people said, with a properly sized turbines, trims, and A/R's your lag on a turbo can be little. On my old setup i could hit full boost at 3500rpms. Now i have a better sized turbo, turbo cams, and better exhaust system should all help with lag. What i like better for the VQ is the turbo. i belive its better suited to the engine's powerband. The VQ already makes good amounts of torque off idle and we dont need that anymore. Ask some supercharged 5 speed guys how they launch...if you look at a SC engine bay and look at my engine bay. a SC engine bay is SOOOOO much more cluttered then mines. I didnt enjoy workin on some of these boosted Maximas...not fun. you can tell im turbo biased but both got pros and cons.
Old 10-03-2001, 12:17 PM

a supercharger is "safer" to use when you go mountain racing or circuit racing because the power increase is alot more consistant than a turbo charger. at times when you enter a turn you slow down first as you hit the apex then you power out. with a turbo, you might break the rear end loose (if you have a rwd car) when the turbo kicks in as you power out. This is a dangerous condition. at times it's "unpredictable" because when you're focusing on the speed, shifting and the road, you tend to forget about the peeking factor on some turbo set ups ie. supra.. however there are some exceptions such as the r32 wehre the power curve is alot smoother incline than the supra.. so it's a bit more predictable.. but for straights it doesn't really matter, which ever gives you the most power would be sufficient.
i tend to favor turbo's more over superchargers mainly because they are more tunable, and are just something out of the ordinary for maxima's. however, i tend to think superchargers would be more cost effective because at the end of the projects, a turbo set up ends up to be more costly than a supercharger..

the main complaint about the vortech/stillen second generation supercharger is the melting of the pulley, and the belt jumping off track.. other than that there are other minor issues that i'm not too clear about..

soon the lag with turbos will be decreased because of new technologies developed by companies such as Garret. Technologies such as an electronic motor power assist to spool up the turbine prior to the exhaust spoolign it up. This is said to help cold starts as well as smoothens out the power curve creating a more consistant incline.

if any of my statements are incorrect then i apologize for it. And if anyone feels liek attacking me for the incorrect statements i've made then i apologize for the lack of perfection on my part..
Old 10-03-2001, 01:41 PM

Just adding one point, an SC will keep the power delivery similar to the stock engine, the turbo will boost more on the top end (tuning dependent of course... ). That's why it's harder to launch an SC'ed max, because there is already a good amount of torque in the low RPM's, and the SC just increases this. So if you want to keep similar driving characteristics, go with an SC, if you want more boost on the top, go with a Turbo.....

I'm just going by what I've read here, so feel free to correct me on this...
Old 10-03-2001, 01:47 PM
Administrator

you are wrong

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Just adding one point, an SC will keep the power delivery similar to the stock engine, the turbo will boost more on the top end (tuning dependent of course... ). That's why it's harder to launch an SC'ed max, because there is already a good amount of torque in the low RPM's, and the SC just increases this. So if you want to keep similar driving characteristics, go with an SC, if you want more boost on the top, go with a Turbo.....

Old 10-03-2001, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
you are wrong

Old 10-03-2001, 03:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think a turbo is better because u get more power in top end than a supercharger.. and turbo u can change boost in your car with a boost controler /not like supercharger only by the pully size...BTW i have full boost in my sr20det at 2K rpm's on my tiny t25
Old 10-03-2001, 04:22 PM

More questions

“change boost in your car with a boost controler /not like supercharger only by the pully size” wat do u mean by boost? How can u control the boost?

Czar: “I have a T-3 in my car and I don't hit full boost until 2900 RPM's even though my turbo is very small and 'should' spool faster than a larger turbo.”

Wat is t-3? I thought maxima don’t have turbo yet, that’s why unclemaz is making one.
Turbo92max: “Like some people said, with a properly sized turbines, trims, and A/R's your lag on a turbo can be little.”
Wat is a/r?

Mingo: “
with a turbo, you might break the rear end loose (if you have a rwd car) when the turbo kicks in as you power out.”

I still don’t get wat u said that this break rear end loose, u mean loose traction?

“however there are some exceptions such as the r32 wehre the power curve is alot smoother incline than the supra.. so it's a bit more predictable.. but for straights it doesn't really matter, which ever gives you the most power would be sufficient.”

Wat is r32? Why is this engine more smoother, wats better in this that supra lacks? Wat do people mean by more tunable in turbo engines?

Also if a maxima has a turbo or a s/c, does it need other mods to make the s/c or turbo better, I know the s/c needs pulley and the turbo requires a good exhaust but wat else?

And lastly, wat u guyz think about the tt turbo and the slk 230 s/c. I have a feeling that they turbo or s/c because it lacks power with the orginal engine, they want it make boost HP while cutting down cost by not using a new engine. So is the tt turbo and slk 230 s/c any good compare to after market maxima turbo and s/c

Sorry for the long questions, but I wanna learn.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
More questions

And lastly, wat u guyz think about the tt turbo and the slk 230 s/c. I have a feeling that they turbo or s/c because it lacks power with the orginal engine, they want it make boost HP while cutting down cost by not using a new engine. So is the tt turbo and slk 230 s/c any good compare to after market maxima turbo and s/c

Well, the only reason that they decided to boost the engines is because turbos and S/Cs are very efficient power adders without the cost of using bigger engines to get good hp. They use them to save weight, as well as space. That way, they can make the car smaller and use small displacement engines and still not sacrifice any power.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:21 PM

1 On a turbo you control boost by how much exhaust gas pressure you pull into the turbo...the more you pull the faster it spins...on a supercharger it's runing off a pulley so the only way to adjust pressure is to change the pulley.
2. The only turbo is a protype of the eibach car and it was slow. with bad power output.
3. I think he's talking about breaking the rear end loose if you don't know how to control high power cars...This can happen with or without forced induction if a car is fast and you can't control it your outta luck..even fwd cars can be hard to control with alot of power.
4. Turbo's need alot more than i feel like listing
5. s/c it depends on the car on the max if it's a 5 speed or auto it depends what needs to be dun.
6. yes they did forced induction becuase they don't have power the only other way is to put a biger engine in but that would wiegh it down.
7. Just so you know the debate over which is better s/c or turbo is as old as hell. It really depends what you want. and both are great ways to get power turobs tend to loose low end power and have massive high end power...s/c tend to boost the whole way and not as drastic as a varying power band...and it does depend on the car and setup
Originally posted by LucentAUTO
More questions

“change boost in your car with a boost controler /not like supercharger only by the pully size” wat do u mean by boost? How can u control the boost?

Czar: “I have a T-3 in my car and I don't hit full boost until 2900 RPM's even though my turbo is very small and 'should' spool faster than a larger turbo.”

Wat is t-3? I thought maxima don’t have turbo yet, that’s why unclemaz is making one.
Turbo92max: “Like some people said, with a properly sized turbines, trims, and A/R's your lag on a turbo can be little.”
Wat is a/r?

Mingo: “
with a turbo, you might break the rear end loose (if you have a rwd car) when the turbo kicks in as you power out.”

I still don’t get wat u said that this break rear end loose, u mean loose traction?

“however there are some exceptions such as the r32 wehre the power curve is alot smoother incline than the supra.. so it's a bit more predictable.. but for straights it doesn't really matter, which ever gives you the most power would be sufficient.”

Wat is r32? Why is this engine more smoother, wats better in this that supra lacks? Wat do people mean by more tunable in turbo engines?

Also if a maxima has a turbo or a s/c, does it need other mods to make the s/c or turbo better, I know the s/c needs pulley and the turbo requires a good exhaust but wat else?

Old 10-03-2001, 10:23 PM

k thx alot
Old 10-03-2001, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

Hmm, with my small turbo, I get excellent low/mid range and I think it tails off after 5500... I usually shift then. If I had a better/bigger sized turbo perhaps I would shift higher. Also the fact that I get a lot of detonation higher than that could also be a reason. (I mean the boost sure doesn't tail off!!!)
Old 10-03-2001, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
3. I think he's talking about breaking the rear end loose if you don't know how to control high power cars...
the statement is true to some extent, but take for example the supra, with the boost turned up on them and the traction control off, you do get some tire spin when the second turbo kicks in..

the r32 is the older skyline, two generations below the current one (r34) the reason being why the r32 has a steadier incline is because of the turbo set up, unlike a sequential set up on the supra (where two turbo's are run together using 6 banks of exhaust, one for lower rpm one for higher) the r32 uses a parallel turbo set up where each turbo only runs off 3 banks of exhaust. In my opinion, the r32 is not neccarily a "better car" than the supra, nor does it have a "better" set up. both cars were built for different purposes.. i tend to have the belief that the supra was built to do more of the top speed runs, where as the skyline (r32,33,34) was built for more aggressive handling. Of course i could be wrong since i wasn't the one who designed neither of those cars.. but either way they are both nice cars, and with some time, money, and brain work invested, they can both be just as nice.. (depending on how you define nice)
Old 10-04-2001, 12:17 AM

My 2 cents

Um.. I'm new to the whole area of turbos and s/c, but has anyone asked the question, is it possible to hybrid a turbo and an s/c? What I mean is, is it possible to run the turbo with both exhaust, as well as a seperate belt from the engine? This way, you get the emediate output with high revs, but have the efficiency of the exhaust. I suppose you would need a device that will be able to tell when to use the belt, and when to shut it off. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth. Let me know if I've got smoke up my tailpipe!!
Old 10-04-2001, 12:34 AM

Re: My 2 cents

Originally posted by James _92_4DSC
Um.. I'm new to the whole area of turbos and s/c, but has anyone asked the question, is it possible to hybrid a turbo and an s/c? What I mean is, is it possible to run the turbo with both exhaust, as well as a seperate belt from the engine? This way, you get the emediate output with high revs, but have the efficiency of the exhaust. I suppose you would need a device that will be able to tell when to use the belt, and when to shut it off. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth. Let me know if I've got smoke up my tailpipe!!
yeop it has been done on a rb26dett.. it was posted on here a while ago.. i'm not sure on efficiency but it sure was cool looking.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by max'n out

2. The only turbo is a protype of the eibach car and it was slow. with bad power output.
3. I think he's talking about breaking the rear end loose if you don't know how to control high power cars...This can happen with or without forced induction if a car is fast and you can't control it your outta luck..even fwd cars can be hard to control with alot of power.
4. Turbo's need alot more than i feel like listing
5. s/c it depends on the car on the max if it's a 5 speed or auto it depends what needs to be dun.
6. yes they did forced induction becuase they don't have power the only other way is to put a biger engine in but that would wiegh it down.
7. Just so you know the debate over which is better s/c or turbo is as old as hell. It really depends what you want. and both are great ways to get power turobs tend to loose low end power and have massive high end power...s/c tend to boost the whole way and not as drastic as a varying power band...and it does depend on the car and setup
2. actually no, i have had a turbo setup for over a year and some other guys have some custom setups as well. the Eibach Maxima was a prototype and never released to the public.
3. your correct, any type of high powered car will have the rear end breaking loose. If a track racer has that prob then he isnt that good of a racer anyways cause he should know you dont get on the gas midway through a turn but after youve exited your turn.
4. not really, simple setup, turbo, wastegate, piping, fuel. All set.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by mingo

the statement is true to some extent, but take for example the supra, with the boost turned up on them and the traction control off, you do get some tire spin when the second turbo kicks in..

the r32 is the older skyline, two generations below the current one (r34) the reason being why the r32 has a steadier incline is because of the turbo set up, unlike a sequential set up on the supra (where two turbo's are run together using 6 banks of exhaust, one for lower rpm one for higher) the r32 uses a parallel turbo set up where each turbo only runs off 3 banks of exhaust. In my opinion, the r32 is not neccarily a "better car" than the supra, nor does it have a "better" set up. both cars were built for different purposes.. i tend to have the belief that the supra was built to do more of the top speed runs, where as the skyline (r32,33,34) was built for more aggressive handling. Of course i could be wrong since i wasn't the one who designed neither of those cars.. but either way they are both nice cars, and with some time, money, and brain work invested, they can both be just as nice.. (depending on how you define nice)
oh Mingo, you are R32 expert now! hahahaha
uhhh, yea the Supra uses sequential setup but alot of Supra guys opt to go with a single setup or true twin turbo setup vs the sequential. Supra pulls .98 lateral G's so it was built for turns as much as it was for straights. its a 500hp machine detuned to 320 or whatever numbers guys put out. I do like Skylines more but fact is, Supras are easily modified for cheap, Toyota realibilty, and nice apperance(altho this is subjective)
Old 10-04-2001, 09:17 AM

Read the new issues of SCC and Turbo guys, the Eibach/JWT Turbo 5th gen max is running much better.

-October 2001 SCC-

"All the cars performed up to par, especially the Celica and the turbocharged and Jim Wolf-tuned Maxima SE."