General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Guys with clunky and rattiling suspensions (esp Intrax)...new fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 10:05 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Guys with clunky and rattiling suspensions (esp Intrax)...new fix

After installing my Intrax springs in place of my ST springs two weeks ago, I was blessed with some rattling/buzzing and overall clunkiness from my suspension over rutted and rough surfaces. They never made any noise over big bumps which led me to think it was something to do with the coil themselves. I was perplexed because I had installed everything correctly. Tonight while screwing around with my car (as usual), I jacked up the front end and inspected the front coils. Sure enough, it was very clear to me that the upper two coils were rubbing each other as observed by the worn paint on the coils. This makes complete sense to why I got noise over rough surfaces, but not on bumps. When the springs are only slightly compressed over rough surfaces they rub and rattle on each other, but on big bumps they are fully touching each other. I fixed this problem by cutting some clear vinyl tubing and placing it over the rubbing coils. I did the same in the rears. Sure enough on all the surfaces the springs moan/rattle/buzz were all gone. They were solid. No noises. The car also rode better which leads me to believe the coils were transmitting vibration. It was 40 degrees outside and the car felt solid. I am very happy.

Simply put, if you are going to use some of the lower springs available (Sprint/Intrax), it may be necessary to add spring isolaters to the upper coils too.

Dave
Old 10-05-2001, 10:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Guys with clunky and rattiling suspensions (esp Intrax)...new fix

Originally posted by Dave B
After installing my Intrax springs in place of my ST springs two weeks ago, I was blessed with some rattling/buzzing and overall clunkiness from my suspension over rutted and rough surfaces. They never made any noise over big bumps which led me to think it was something to do with the coil themselves. I was perplexed because I had installed everything correctly. Tonight while screwing around with my car (as usual), I jacked up the front end and inspected the front coils. Sure enough, it was very clear to me that the upper two coils were rubbing each other as observed by the worn paint on the coils. This makes complete sense to why I got noise over rough surfaces, but not on bumps. When the springs are only slightly compressed over rough surfaces they rub and rattle on each other, but on big bumps they are fully touching each other. I fixed this problem by cutting some clear vinyl tubing and placing it over the rubbing coils. I did the same in the rears. Sure enough on all the surfaces the springs moan/rattle/buzz were all gone. They were solid. No noises. The car also rode better which leads me to believe the coils were transmitting vibration. It was 40 degrees outside and the car felt solid. I am very happy.

Simply put, if you are going to use some of the lower springs available (Sprint/Intrax), it may be necessary to add spring isolaters to the upper coils too.

Thanks for the great write up Dave, this probably explains why my sprints squeek over little bumps.

Dave
Old 10-06-2001, 01:20 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Thanks Dave!

I'm hoping this will solve my 2 year old problem... it's funny but on my car, the sound is mostly on the driver's front only... I'll be plenty happy if this solves the problem. I also tried the retightening of the Koni inserts on the bottom of the strut assembly to no avail...

One question... can you give a little more info on the type of vinyl tubing and perhaps where you got it? Thanks again...
Old 10-06-2001, 09:39 AM

Well.. this would explain why some paint was rubbed off on my Intrax springs.

I wonder if this is the same reason why my GC's make noise.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:11 AM

Re: Guys with clunky and rattiling suspensions (esp Intrax)...new fix

Dave
dave b, do you think this technique would work for rears as well? i've been trying to isolate this constant "clunking" noise on the right rear of my car w/ eibachs. i had a garage re-install my rears in hopes of finding a cure for this noise. they replaced the rubber pad on the upper mount and switching the rear shocks, but still there is noise. i'm thinking something in the mount is allowing the shock to vibrate even on the slightest bump on the road. does anyone have an idea what it could be?
Old 10-06-2001, 05:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've got this done to rear springs as well.

This tubing is available at any home improvement store. I used 1/2" clear vinyl tubing. You'll find it in the plumbing section. Cut the tubing in a spiral shape so that it stays on the spring. You don't have to remove the springs or anything.

Dave
Old 10-06-2001, 06:12 PM

good job bro! now i may get intrax afterall
Old 10-06-2001, 06:28 PM

Dave B

You've got mail
Old 10-07-2001, 12:50 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Dave B

Originally posted by gtr_rider
You've got mail
e-mail me at thunderlt1@earthlink.net or post here. My listed e-mail is my work e-mail and I won't be looking at it for a while.

Dave
Old 10-07-2001, 01:28 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Yippee!

Noise is gone! Took me all day to find the stuff though... I found/used 3/4" spiral wrap.... 5 feet for $4.60! I think I'll go back for a second pack for the rears (even though they appear quiet)... I got the stuff at MarVac in Pasadena for those of you in this area.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by Chunger
Yippee!

Noise is gone! Took me all day to find the stuff though... I found/used 3/4" spiral wrap.... 5 feet for $4.60! I think I'll go back for a second pack for the rears (even though they appear quiet)... I got the stuff at MarVac in Pasadena for those of you in this area.
yo im from arcadia could you give me the address of marvac?
Old 10-07-2001, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Chunger
Yippee!

congrats! what exactly is "spiral wrap?"
Old 10-07-2001, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by ny96max
good job bro! now i may get intrax afterall
how did you get your car that low?! did you cut your springs? i've never seen such a small wheel gap on just replacement springs! looks awesome!
Old 10-07-2001, 07:42 AM

Re: Re: Dave B

e-mail me at thunderlt1@earthlink.net or post here. My listed e-mail is my work e-mail and I won't be looking at it for a while.

Dave
Done!
Old 10-07-2001, 09:46 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by seouljah

yo im from arcadia could you give me the address of marvac?
It's on Colorado Blvd... it use to be called Dow Electronics... just about 1/4 mile East of PCC...

VQ... it's just a wire loom but instead of it being split down the middle (and using hard plastic) it is cut in a spiral pattern... the 3/4" is pretty thick... Just gotta see how durable it is.. but for $5.. I wouldn't mind having to replace it once in a while (I don't think that will be necessary though)...
Old 10-07-2001, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info Dave, I will check it out tonight but from the looks of it everyone else is finding the same thing so hopefully this will fix mine. Good Job DAVE
Old 10-07-2001, 09:06 PM

My suspension has NEVER made a sound.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by VQdriver

how did you get your car that low?! did you cut your springs? i've never seen such a small wheel gap on just replacement springs! looks awesome!
Photoshop.
Old 10-08-2001, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
My suspension has NEVER made a sound.
i checked my car today..i removed the wheel and tried the homemade spring insulator idea. didn't fix it! i looked at it closely. i think it has to do the the upper strut mount where the shaft passes through to the body. it seems to allow too much freeplay which causes the annoying sound. is there a plastic bushing in the actual hole? because i don't think i'm lacking any of the parts. it just makes a damn noise there no matter what!
Old 10-09-2001, 12:25 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by slammed95
Cool to know that there are other fixed-up-max owners in my area. I live in Alhambra. Near Huntington Dr. and Garfield Ave. Close to the IN-N-OUT burgers.
Hehe... drive by that joint at least 3 times a week... sometimes I even stop to get my Strawberry Shake...LOL!