General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Who has the most acurate prices for used cars, KBB, NADA, Edmunds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 03:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Who has the most acurate prices for used cars, KBB, NADA, Edmunds?

What price guide is the most accurate? I have checked KBB, NADA, and Edmunds online and in a lot of cases they give wildly different prices. Is one of these better than the others for what the real price should be? Is buying an actual book better than looking online, what one is best? Are there any other places I can find what the prices should be on used Maximas?

I know what's available in an area determines the price, but its hard to tell from the want ads because you never know how much less than the asking price people take.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:50 PM

The best one is the one that gives the highest price as a seller and the lowest as a buyer?

sm3rt.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:58 PM

Thanks , seriously I was thinking of finding the guide with the lowest price, pinting it out then bringing it with me as a negotiating tool. One dealer was trying to convince me a car was a good deal because it was a couple 100 below the KBB (the actual book)retail price. As far as I know, the KBB retail is very high.
Old 10-06-2001, 04:00 PM

Insurance companies usually use the NADA (I was counsel for an insurer). Courts typically accept NADA values into evidence as exhibits. But everything is negotiable...
Old 10-06-2001, 07:14 PM

I would take all three guides into consideration, and just average it. Not the best way, but it's an acceptable compromise.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:29 PM

IMO I think Kelley Blue Book has the best prices.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by 97GreenMax
IMO I think Kelley Blue Book has the best prices.
Best = Lowest or Best = Most accurate?

Just looked up some prices on NADA and Edmunds, Edmunds gives a price of $3000 less for all catagories (Trade/private party/Retail). Guess which one I am printing out to use as a negotiating tool ? Of course if I was selling a car I might print out the NADA report . KBB was in the middle.

Do any of the books you buy in the bookstore give estimated wholesale and/or private party prices? The Nada guide is shrink wrapped so you can't check it out.
Old 10-07-2001, 02:40 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Anachronism

Best = Lowest or Best = Most accurate?

Just looked up some prices on NADA and Edmunds, Edmunds gives a price of $3000 less for all catagories (Trade/private party/Retail). Guess which one I am printing out to use as a negotiating tool ? Of course if I was selling a car I might print out the NADA report . KBB was in the middle.

Do any of the books you buy in the bookstore give estimated wholesale and/or private party prices? The Nada guide is shrink wrapped so you can't check it out.
nada is what banks courts and most dealers use. that's the standard.