General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

6 speed maxima, comparing apples to apples?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 01:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

6 speed maxima, comparing apples to apples?

Ok,
I just finished reading an article in the November edition of Car and Driver. It was about a 5 way comparison of foor doors at ~20-grand prices. As most of you probably know (read it), the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V was in there. I HOPE TO GOD that they don't put the 6 speed transmission of the Sentra in the Maxima… Why?

Here is a preview of the article:

"Still, we encountered weak points that we can't attribute to preproduction glitches. The new six-speed manual transmission topped that list, with it's vague gates and awkward throws. Eventually, we got used to this cable-operated device, but it drew flak throughout the test. "Reminiscent of a video-game shifter," wrote a tester, while another noted that it was "one of those shifters that discourage shifting." "

I know it's a preproduction but still, this is not what I want to drive in my Maxima (and I'm pretty shure it's not what sentra spec V owners want either).

What do you think?
Old 10-09-2001, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 6 speed maxima, comparing apples to apples?

Originally posted by Amazing2
Ok,
I just finished reading an article in the November edition of Car and Driver. It was about a 5 way comparison of foor doors at ~20-grand prices. As most of you probably know (read it), the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V was in there. I HOPE TO GOD that they don't put the 6 speed transmission of the Sentra in the Maxima… Why?

Here is a preview of the article:

"Still, we encountered weak points that we can't attribute to preproduction glitches. The new six-speed manual transmission topped that list, with it's vague gates and awkward throws. Eventually, we got used to this cable-operated device, but it drew flak throughout the test. "Reminiscent of a video-game shifter," wrote a tester, while another noted that it was "one of those shifters that discourage shifting." "

I know it's a preproduction but still, this is not what I want to drive in my Maxima (and I'm pretty shure it's not what sentra spec V owners want either).

What do you think?
It's the same 6spd, the only differene{I believe} is different gear ratios.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: 6 speed maxima, comparing apples to apples?

Originally posted by emax95

It's the same 6spd, the only differene{I believe} is different gear ratios.
I sat in the 6-spd Maxima at MAXUS 2001 and played around with the shifter a lot. I agree that it has that video game shifter feel to it, but I actually liked that about it. As soon as you put pressure on the shifter, it seems it knows you want to shift, and popping it into the next gear is near effortless. There's not really any middle ground...its either in one gear or the next...doesn't feel like there is any void space between gears. Agreed, there is a longer than ideal throw to the shifter, but its still *feels* better than the current generation 5-spd shifter.

Granted, I don't have that much experience driving 6-speeds, but I've driven a lot of 5-speeds, and I had no complaints about the new shifter. Maybe they are comparing it to the 6-speed gearbox off the Modena, who knows....
Old 10-09-2001, 02:44 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i played with the 6-spd at maxus too and the shifter was nothcy but that was preproduction and they assured me it would be much better for production. we'll have to see. it better be good.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:42 PM

What sort of benefits would there be if it was possible to switch the 6speed out of the newer maxes into a 4th gen? Would it give you more power anywhere on the band or anything like that?

SuDZ
Old 10-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SuDZ
What sort of benefits would there be if it was possible to switch the 6speed out of the newer maxes into a 4th gen? Would it give you more power anywhere on the band or anything like that?

SuDZ
the gears are SLIGHTY shorter. the amount of money this would cost wouldn't really be worth it unless you want the LSD and to get better mileage on the highway. it will show LITTLE improvement but not enough to warrant the time and money for only that.