General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Drove the '02 Altima vs. '02 Max and '02 CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 03:05 PM

Drove the '02 Altima vs. '02 Max and '02 CL-S

Just spent the whole afternoon driving the '*****' off a new Altima. (It pays to have a contact at a Nissan dealership that admires your ride.)

First, I matched the Alt against the '02 Max (side by side). Much to my surprise, the Alt looks BIGGER!?! After getting inside, I realized it IS BIGGER! Especially in the rear seat. (This may not matter to a few of you, but it IS a factor for me since I need at least one family car that can fit 5 real people. Oh yeah, trunk is huge, too.)

The driving results...
I drove the 3.5 SE with 5-speed. He drove the Max SE 6-speed. From a standing start, I took him by a little over a car length on one strip between lights on HWY 31. 2 more tries, same result. Then, I thought, this guy may be holding back purposely to sell me on the Alt. So, we switched cars...he's in the Alt, I'm in the Max.

1st run...HE GOT ME!! (Maybe he wasn't holding back after all.)
2nd run...same result.
3rd run...I was able to stay door-to-door with him. This run was uphill. Maybe that was the difference??? Or, maybe he had a bad launch???

Then, I wanted some "quality" time with the Alt. I took it out on the highway, stretched it's legs and flogged it a bit. Just like the Max, torque is everywhere from 3200 rpm and up (duh, same engine). Too much body roll, vague steering input and torque steer for me, but of course, this is a 'stock' car. Also needs better tires. Not a problem that can't be fixed once the aftermarket products catch up.

Then, a brainstorm (or brainfart, depending on how well you know me...shuttup, Don, Eli, Dex and Mike!!). Went to see my buddy, 'Big Mike' at Acura. Time to go up against the CL-S.
Got him every time! Didn't matter what the circumstance until speeds were almost triple digit, then he was right there. I was shocked again. Maybe it was due to the fact he used to play for the N.E. Patriots (260 lbs!!). Naaaaaa.

I know it would be different if these cars were not stock, but modded. A buddy of mine has a modded CL-S...a world of difference from a stock one. I can take a stock CL-S in MY Max. But against his, with his mods, I get him off the line, but he soon walks me down.

I just wonder what could be done with the right products on the new Alt?? It's lighter. Did I mention that the rear is SICK!!! Especially with the dual exhaust outlets.

Maybe once Nissan refines the car with say, non-plasticky interior pieces, ditch the ugly orange dash guages (real need for white gauges) and some other details here and there, I'll be having an "Everything-Must-Go" sale on my all my Max mods to reap back some investment before changing cars.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:11 PM

I didn't think the 02 six speed was available yet

then again, i'm pretty sure its not....
Old 10-15-2001, 03:19 PM
PhatGuy

A CL-S hits a brick wall at 110mph. What year is your car? What city, state and country was the Nissan dealership in? What is the name and phone number of the dealership? I'm sure there are a lot of .org members itchin' to test one of those 6spds!

Old 10-15-2001, 03:57 PM

I have driven the 2002 Max SE Auto, the 3.5 Altima Auto, and the 2002 TLS. The Altima did feel faster, at least early on. Didn't like the orange instrument panel, or the non-collapsing side mirrors. If discount was available, and the radio/ventilating panel was different than the way it is, I would have given it more thoughts.

Everyone have different tastes. Between the 3, I would take Max 6 speed 1st (although I haven't driven it), the TLS second (may be CLS also), and Altima third.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by straight six
I didn't think the 02 six speed was available yet

then again, i'm pretty sure its not....
Its been here in BC Canada for at least a month. Where are you?
Old 10-15-2001, 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Humm...

Originally posted by AdMax98
I don't think so!!!

First of, production of the 6 speed started October 1st.
Second, it comes from japan.

If it would of been here for a month, I think that we (Ontario, Québec) would of had it by now.
Old 10-15-2001, 04:52 PM
PhatGuy

You might be thinking of the 2K2 Max Auto not the 6spd Manual.

Old 10-15-2001, 05:42 PM

Im in BC too, what dealer has the 6 speeds?
I was told by my dealer end of this month at the earliest, end of nov. latest. Also was told HLSD is now standard on all se 6 speeds
Old 10-15-2001, 05:45 PM

I was told mid November for the 6 speed, and sometime in January for the HLSD. Different answer everytime huh? IF HLSD is now standard on the 6 speed, and it comes by early to mid November, that would be fine. Definitely not waiting until January.

FYI, I ordered a 6 speed Majestic Blue couple weeks ago.
Old 10-16-2001, 09:26 AM
is invisible

NIce writeup Yankee. Do you think the Max handled better?
Old 10-16-2001, 09:40 AM

hes in Alabama
Old 10-16-2001, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
hes in Alabama
if his profile is right with location then this is BS because I just called all the dealers around thatt area and they all said it should be around in a few more months! Im bored can you tell
Old 10-16-2001, 11:12 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

hes in Alabama
So am I, the dealer down here in Montgomery told me it would be several more weeks before they expect to see any.

So, shall we call BS officially
Old 10-16-2001, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

So am I, the dealer down here in Montgomery told me it would be several more weeks before they expect to see any.

So, shall we call BS officially
Old 10-16-2001, 04:10 PM
Ford Only.

Smells like some crack is being smoked over here.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:33 PM

i live next to the dealership i think he went to.......no six speeds yet
Old 10-16-2001, 05:47 PM

To the doubters... the 6 speeds are in! I put a downpayment on one that arrived on the truck today in Rockville, Maryland. I'm scheduled to pick it up tomorrow, if the financing works out and If I like the non-HLSD equipped car. This one is Majestic Blue with Bose, sunroof, Meridian, side air bags, and other options. List price is $28,783. The dealer has already offered $1000 off sticker, without me asking.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:36 PM

and anything can happen if you know someone and his write-up is too detailed and on point to be bs. nice one yankee
Old 10-16-2001, 08:35 PM
PhatGuy

Awesome take that baby out for a test drive as soon as you can and post up a review! Bring your digital cam too and snap up some pics! As for Yankee all we want to know is the exact dealership he went to thats all! Taking him a while to respond to that though...

Seouljah the most detailed stories can easily be the BS ones on the net. I'm not saying his is BS I would just like to know the dealership he drove the car at the other day and I'm sure others would as well.

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
To the doubters... the 6 speeds are in! I put a downpayment on one that arrived on the truck today in Rockville, Maryland. I'm scheduled to pick it up tomorrow, if the financing works out and If I like the non-HLSD equipped car. This one is Majestic Blue with Bose, sunroof, Meridian, side air bags, and other options. List price is $28,783. The dealer has already offered $1000 off sticker, without me asking.

Old 10-16-2001, 10:26 PM

Funny how none of the car dealers I know of want to go drag race with me.... or then again, maybe thats because its a crock of Bu11sh1t!!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
All the dealers(6) I talked too have said not yet
Old 10-17-2001, 02:45 PM

Just had some time to skim through some of the responses (I've been working too hard). There's really a lot of work trying to convince 'Country Big Wigs' in AL to spend the $$$'s required to update their existing networks from the late '80's to '01 and beyond. I knew it would be tough when I took this contract, but I've been here a little over a month and met many a road block.

Anyway, let me address the non-believers...

I'm sorry that your egos won't allow belief in something that you can't accomplish. It's sad.
I was just trying to satisfy my curiosity while shedding some "1st hand" light on a topic I saw repeatedly on the forum.

At least one person wrote that "It's all in who you know." I've owned 34 automobiles and during that time, I've driven many a car that "wasn't available" before it's release. It happens more often than some of you can handle.

1st lesson...NEVER ASK A SALESMAN!!! Some of you know more than MOST salesmen. (I haven't met them all, so I'll say most.)

2nd lesson...Show up asking with CASH or a FATTT bank account!!!
C.R.E.A.M.- "Cash rules everything around me..." - Wu Tang

It comes with experience, I guess. Judging from some of the postings, I'm a little older than most of you (or at least a little more mature). I've kept residence in 14 different cities among 5 states and know the "right people" in some others (not as many as I would like). In the words of Jay-Z, "what you eat, don't make me sh*t!"

Again, sorry if I'm a little too deep for some of you or enjoy life on a different level. We're still all alike and on the same rock.

Can't say I'll be spending much more time on this forum. In my short time on Max.org, I've attempted to attend 5 meets in 2 states...none of which came to fuition. I've met 6 Max.org members (only 2 at meets). This is REALLY sad compared to the MKIV Supra or M3 meets. I hope this was just my misfortune. I hope MANY of you have much, much more successful meets.

I'll also be selling my Max. It's a great car!! I've NEVER had a problem with it. I've had it for 3 years and through 4 other cars and a motorcycle. I just don't need it anymore. I want to sell it and the M3 to attempt to acquire a used 2000 M5 (my dreamcar).

When I get some more time, I'll try to go through the responses in more detail and answer some of the legitimate questions from those that have asked. This response has taken 12 minutes already and for me, time is money...

Oh, I'll attach a pic or 2.
Old 10-17-2001, 03:02 PM

I guess the Maxima scene is big down there. In the DC and NY area it's pretty big. The NY meet had over 120 Maximas. Maxus had around 100. We've had local meets in Maryland/DC/VA that have dozens to 50 people.

One thing that drives me crazy about Maxima.org is the negativity. If something sounds unbelievable, they'll come down hard on you here. The first person to try something new is doubted. (Not related to your situation so much.)

BTW- Here's my 6 speed test drive review:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=72236

Originally posted by Yankee!!!
Can't say I'll be spending much more time on this forum. In my short time on Max.org, I've attempted to attend 5 meets in 2 states...none of which came to fuition. I've met 6 Max.org members (only 2 at meets). This is REALLY sad compared to the MKIV Supra or M3 meets. I hope this was just my misfortune. I hope MANY of you have much, much more successful meets.
Old 10-17-2001, 05:08 PM

All the dealers(6) I talked too have said not yet
So Yank did you actually drive the 6 sp maxima?
Old 10-18-2001, 07:27 PM

Yep, I did. I use my time more wisely than fabricating short stories on forums full of negativity.
There are a LOT of good tips and help on this forum, however, the trivialistic negativity overshadows it.

Oh, and the Max did have better steering feedback but I didn't take it out to test handling capabilities. From memory of an asscociate's 5th gen, the Max has less body roll. Both display trouble with high speed tracking though.

Again, nothing that some smartly chosen aftermarket goodies couldn't correct.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:44 PM

negativity?

I find the forum not bad at all. Most people are quite helpful, and very few with attitude etc. Audi's forum in general is one of the best. Helpful people, no swearing, and no punk with big egos.
Bimmer forums in general are not bad. Acura TLS is decent, with a bit more attitude. CLS forums contains lot of swearing, and a number of bratty people who talks more than walk.

Without being bias, I have search all those forums because I was looking at the A4, the TLS, and 330i, Maxima, Altima, etc.
I am going with another Maxima because it is a vg bang for the buck. I am not monetarily abundantly like others who car afford 1 or 2 nice cars. My decision came down to the Max and the TLS. The TLS rotor/tranny problem was a factor, as well as the fact that there are lot of spoiled Acura drivers in my town. The Maxima I have has been very reliable, and performed well.

So, negativity exists everywhere. A guy who is 5'5" and claims to be able to slam dunk will get lot of negative feedbacks. Focus on the good and let the 'bad' slip by.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:06 PM

Re: Drove the '02 Altima vs. '02 Max and '02 CL-S

Originally posted by Yankee!!!
Just spent the whole afternoon driving the '*****' off a new Altima. (It pays to have a contact at a Nissan dealership that admires your ride.)

First, I matched the Alt against the '02 Max (side by side). Much to my surprise, the Alt looks BIGGER!?! After getting inside, I realized it IS BIGGER! Especially in the rear seat. (This may not matter to a few of you, but it IS a factor for me since I need at least one family car that can fit 5 real people. Oh yeah, trunk is huge, too.)

The driving results...
I drove the 3.5 SE with 5-speed. He drove the Max SE 6-speed. From a standing start, I took him by a little over a car length on one strip between lights on HWY 31. 2 more tries, same result. Then, I thought, this guy may be holding back purposely to sell me on the Alt. So, we switched cars...he's in the Alt, I'm in the Max.

1st run...HE GOT ME!! (Maybe he wasn't holding back after all.)
2nd run...same result.
3rd run...I was able to stay door-to-door with him. This run was uphill. Maybe that was the difference??? Or, maybe he had a bad launch???

Then, I wanted some "quality" time with the Alt. I took it out on the highway, stretched it's legs and flogged it a bit. Just like the Max, torque is everywhere from 3200 rpm and up (duh, same engine). Too much body roll, vague steering input and torque steer for me, but of course, this is a 'stock' car. Also needs better tires. Not a problem that can't be fixed once the aftermarket products catch up.

Then, a brainstorm (or brainfart, depending on how well you know me...shuttup, Don, Eli, Dex and Mike!!). Went to see my buddy, 'Big Mike' at Acura. Time to go up against the CL-S.
Got him every time! Didn't matter what the circumstance until speeds were almost triple digit, then he was right there. I was shocked again. Maybe it was due to the fact he used to play for the N.E. Patriots (260 lbs!!). Naaaaaa.

I know it would be different if these cars were not stock, but modded. A buddy of mine has a modded CL-S...a world of difference from a stock one. I can take a stock CL-S in MY Max. But against his, with his mods, I get him off the line, but he soon walks me down.

I just wonder what could be done with the right products on the new Alt?? It's lighter. Did I mention that the rear is SICK!!! Especially with the dual exhaust outlets.

Maybe once Nissan refines the car with say, non-plasticky interior pieces, ditch the ugly orange dash guages (real need for white gauges) and some other details here and there, I'll be having an "Everything-Must-Go" sale on my all my Max mods to reap back some investment before changing cars.
the 3.5 in both cars is very impressive. i was wondering if future engine parts or whole engine swaps would be a possibility. i like the way nissan creates an image for their cars. i'd like to be able to do that sliding 360 turn sometime haha. but as for me, i'm starting to like my car more and more. i've had doubts in the past, but my 4th gen is here to stay! yes the altima is light, but my car weighs in at 2,970lbs on raceday when i'm in the car! go 4th gens!