General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MAXIMA vs M3 GS400 540I ->

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 08:20 PM

okay let me be honest when i post stuff about these roadkills I am laughing my *** off. I am shock i can
see these post go all day long....yes maxima can, no maxima can't, yes, no , yes , no.....

But you know what maxima owners? Woodear just called you guys out in the post below....he said he will race your maxima with bolt-ons with his M roadster or GS400....I didn't find any person take him up on his offer. Now if you guys all believe the maxima can kick *** then come on down. I am cheap so i'll put up $50 for the maxima without SC or NOS that wins

The race I am dying to see is the JIM W A6 2.7T vs WoodEar GS400.....when is this going to happen???!?!?!?!?!?

T
Old 08-28-2000, 08:39 PM

Hey, I'm leaving the M5/540 out of it, but why is everyone ragging on the M3 post? He said it was an older M3... The early M3's were 2.3L 4 banger with 192 HP and 170 ft-lbs torque, with a curb weight of about 3,000 lbs. They run mid 15's stock, the guy with one at our autox said he runs low 15's with his MODDED m3. Now, can somebody explain to me what is so hard to believe that a maxima could take this? Let's get real here, just because someone said they beat an M3, I see no reason to assume it was a brand new current gen M3. The older ones are easily within the range of a stock 5 spd maxima, a modded max 5 spd will kill it, and mod for mod I'd still give the max an advantage.
Old 08-28-2000, 08:41 PM

no no no you got me all wrong...i wasn't directing this post at anyone...I just want to see a race

Old 08-28-2000, 08:46 PM

I love to race the A6 2.7TT stock to stock, it's all up to Jim, I am ready anytime.
I am very worried though, cuz at the Captree meet, Jim said he beat 540 6sp in the A6 from dead stop and rolling strat, I most likely will get my *** kicked, hmm~~~
Old 08-28-2000, 08:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well if I lived there I'd run him...

I'm surprised Jeff K hasn't responded to Woodear's post. Woodear would have a very hard time outrunning Jeff's Megamax. 14.3@96mph is cooking for a NA Max. I don't even think Woodear has run any of his cars which is a damn shame. Before he talks big, I think he needs some honest numbers.

Dave
Old 08-28-2000, 08:56 PM

Re: Well if I lived there I'd run him...

I admit 14.3 will very likely beat me, however if my memory serves me right, Jeff K. ran 14.6 and *ON SLICKS*, so that's another story.

See, I didn't take my car to track because I don't give a **** about quarter mile, if I did, I would have gotten a Vette instead of a M roadster. The only reason I would go to track to race one of you is that I don't believe high 14's is enough to beat me, and I don't know any NA Max running low-mid 14's on street tires, got the point?

[Edited by WoodEar on 08-28-2000 at 11:01 PM]
Old 08-28-2000, 08:59 PM

Re: Well if I lived there I'd run him...

Originally posted by Dave B
I'm surprised Jeff K hasn't responded to Woodear's post. Woodear would have a very hard time outrunning Jeff's Megamax. 14.3@96mph is cooking for a NA Max. I don't even think Woodear has run any of his cars which is a damn shame. Before he talks big, I think he needs some honest numbers.

Dave
He is not talking big...he just wants to race another maxima with NA mods
Old 08-28-2000, 09:12 PM

Re: But you see that is the problem no body said a MZ3->>

And If this is directed to me I didn't say I beat the M3. If you Are looking for a car to race your MZ3 I can surely find you someone.
Don't ask if it would be a maxima because you know it wouldn't be.

Originally posted by WoodEar
I admit 14.3 will very likely beat me, however if my memory serves me right, Jeff K. ran 14.6 and *ON SLICKS*, so that's another story.

See, I didn't take my car to track because I don't give a **** about quarter mile, if I did, I would have gotten a Vette instead of a M roadster. The only reason I would go to track to race one of you is that I don't believe high 14's is enough to beat me, and I don't know any NA Max running low-mid 14's on street tires, got the point?

[Edited by WoodEar on 08-28-2000 at 11:01 PM]
Old 08-28-2000, 09:14 PM

Let's Start Over

Let's forget about every other post. And just note that

Woodear wants to race a Maxima with NA mods in his GS400 or M roadster. Anyone one interested. He just want to see how his car does against the maxima. Who will do this?

Old 08-28-2000, 09:16 PM

1) I was REALLY not directing it at you, dunno how many times I have to say it.
2) No need to find a non-max to beat me, I honestly don't think my cars are that fast, but you know what, they are faster than NA Max in my opinion, until you find one to race me and prove me I am wrong.
Old 08-28-2000, 09:22 PM

So, we're supposed to pretend that all of the sudden woodear has an interest in drag racing and that it has nothing to do with recent roadkill posts, and oh yeah, he just wants to race a maxima for the heck of it?

Ok... Can we just state for the record that the odds are slim that anyone is going to take him up because 1) most people are not willing to drive very far just for the heck of it 2) most people here have nothing to prove 3) people who are near to him might not be very active on the forum

Now, you drive on down here and I'll race you. I'd lose, but I could care less. I'm not gonna drive 10 hours just to shut you up though
Old 08-28-2000, 09:32 PM

But How did your car come into the Equation-->

I know this is very Humorous to both of us but some people will take this seriously. You Know a N/A maxima can't beat your MZ3 so why bring it up. After riding in your car I don't even think a S/C auto max can beat you. A 5speed S/C max might be different. Now for N/A 5speed max with bolt on vs your GS400 I think that would be a good race. Lets not get Ignorant about this please!!! If you want to
run a max why try to Handicap us. The CHALLENGE you should be making is towards a 5speed S/C max.
Later

1) I was REALLY not directing it at you, dunno how many times I have to say it.
2) No need to find a non-max to beat me, I honestly don't think my cars are that fast, but you know what, they are faster than NA Max in my opinion, until you find one to race me and prove me I am wrong.
Old 08-28-2000, 09:35 PM

I'd run him (he's my friend), but I'm >>

not driving that damn far to run ANYONE. Ya'll have fun.

Old 08-28-2000, 09:39 PM

Get my last email Don? I'll hopefully have some scans for you tomorrow. Shoot me and email back dude
Old 08-28-2000, 10:09 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Jeff has run mid 14s on STREET tires..

Jeff's run 14.5s@96mph on street tires and a 14.3X on drag radials. He's had trap speeds as high as 97mph. Check out his site if you want. If he powershifted he'd be even quicker. How far is E-town from you? I wish I lived near you because I think my car is just as strong as Jeff's. I run at a crap track and 1200' above sea level.

Why is the track such a problem for you? Only a "real" timing device is gonna show the real winner. Why's it so hard to go to the track and make couple passes and keep the racing off the street? Racing on the street proves nothing. Reacting just a bit slower results in an instant car length loss off the line even though you might not have the slower car. With the track you'll get reaction times, trap speed, and et.

Dave
Old 08-28-2000, 10:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll race Woodear! I don't care if I win or lose, it'd just be fun to actually see a GS400 in action. Around here, only old white people drive GS400's. I've never seen one going fast anywhere. Oklahoma sucks.
Old 08-28-2000, 10:31 PM
is invisible

I just like to brag about my car:)

How long has this been going on?
Old 08-28-2000, 10:34 PM

Re: Jeff has run mid 14s on STREET tires..

Jeff's run 14.5s@96mph on street tires and a 14.3X on drag radials. He's had trap speeds as high as 97mph. Check out his site if you want. If he powershifted he'd be even quicker. How far is E-town from you? I wish I lived near you because I think my car is just as strong as Jeff's. I run at a crap track and 1200' above sea level.

Why is the track such a problem for you? Only a "real" timing device is gonna show the real winner. Why's it so hard to go to the track and make couple passes and keep the racing off the street? Racing on the street proves nothing. Reacting just a bit slower results in an instant car length loss off the line even though you might not have the slower car. With the track you'll get reaction times, trap speed, and et.

Dave
1) If Jeff did run 14.5 on street tires, then guess what? I will shut my ****ing mouth everytime Jeff says a GS400 kill? But pitfully, none of the ones posting all those **** kills actually ran 14.5 right? You see the point here?
If I have the supercharge on my GS400 and runs flat 12's like the Swift-Racing car, then I can say all day that I smoke Viper and no one will say **** about it, cuz 12's will beat a Viper. But if I never even see 13's in my GS400 and I want to talk about smoking Viper, I will expect to be flamed, cuz 14's doesn't beat viper.

2) why going to track is a problem?
cuz the ****ing track is 40 miles away, you wait hours for 3 runs, you are surrounded by redneck with their muscle cars, I am not interested in any of those aspects. That's why I don't dig going to track.
Sometimes people make exception, such as I will go to track to race Jim's turbo A6 if he wishes.
Old 08-28-2000, 10:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

okay y not?? im game.. where should i go? however this isn't handicapped, this is the race jose would like to see i could care less who has a faster car, but racing is fun to watch and particiapte in (of course off the streets ) sad i missed the last meet, but timming was all messed up. hey chris did u ever think of getting the dinan s/c for that lil MZ of yours? friend brought one from his work and lets just say those suckers haul some serious A$%

[Edited by Phil96SE on 08-29-2000 at 01:04 AM]
Old 08-28-2000, 10:54 PM

Re: But remember when your GS400 beat a C5 corvette->

That seems pretty impossible but you said it happen. That what street racing or highway racing is all about. (Anything is possible)
Now If someone said that they can beat a Mz3 or a GS400 then you have all rights to call them out, And maybe you should.
I don't know whats been going on since I wasn't around but since I have been back I haven't heard anyone come up with any wild roadkill story.

Dave
1) If Jeff did run 14.5 on street tires, then guess what? I will shut my ****ing mouth everytime Jeff says a GS400 kill? But pitfully, none of the ones posting all those **** kills actually ran 14.5 right? You see the point here?
If I have the supercharge on my GS400 and runs flat 12's like the Swift-Racing car, then I can say all day that I smoke Viper and no one will say **** about it, cuz 12's will beat a Viper. But if I never even see 13's in my GS400 and I want to talk about smoking Viper, I will expect to be flamed, cuz 14's doesn't beat viper.

2) why going to track is a problem?
cuz the ****ing track is 40 miles away, you wait hours for 3 runs, you are surrounded by redneck with their muscle cars, I am not interested in any of those aspects. That's why I don't dig going to track.
Sometimes people make exception, such as I will go to track to race Jim's turbo A6 if he wishes.
Old 08-28-2000, 11:05 PM

Re: Re: But remember when your GS400 beat a C5 corvette->

Originally posted by Jose
But remember when your GS400 beat a C5 corvette? That seems pretty impossible but you said it happen. That what street racing or highway racing is all about. (Anything is possible)
Now If someone said that they can beat a Mz3 or a GS400 then you have all rights to call them out, And maybe you should.
Yeah but the difference is:
I said back then my GS400 is no way faster than a C5 vette, something happened and I pulled ahead of him in that specific race. I will never claim I am faster than a C5.
Here on the Maxima BBS, people actually believe they ARE really faster.
See the difference?

Btw, why it's handicap for a NA max to race me??? Aren't they the ones posting story that they kill GS400 left and right? If so how can they be handicap, do I see a walking contradiction here???
Old 08-28-2000, 11:22 PM

Re: When I mentioned handicapp I was talking about the Mz3->

VS a N/A maxima. I don't care what anyone wants to say the chances of a auto max with our usual bolt on would loose to a GS400.
A 5speed max would be a good race.
I never Disagreed with you on that. My problem is why not wait till someone make that claim and call them out.
Seems very simple to me!!!
Oh by the way Phill 96se said he would accept your challenge But he has a 5speed and he is supercharged.

But remember when your GS400 beat a C5 corvette? That seems pretty impossible but you said it happen. That what street racing or highway racing is all about. (Anything is possible)
Yeah but the difference is:
I said back then my GS400 is no way faster than a C5 vette, something happened and I pulled ahead of him in that specific race. I will never claim I am faster than a C5.
Here on the Maxima BBS, people actually believe they ARE really faster.
See the difference?

Btw, why it's handicap for a NA max to race me??? Aren't they the ones posting story that they kill GS400 left and right? If so how can they be handicap, do I see a walking contradiction here???
Old 08-28-2000, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Phil96SE
okay y not?? im game.. where should i go? however this isn't handicapped, this is the race jose would like to see i could care less who has a faster car, but racing is fun to watch and particiapte in (of course off the streets ) sad i missed the last meet, but timming was all messed up. hey chris did u ever think of getting the dinan s/c for that lil MZ of yours? friend brought one from his work and lets just say those suckers haul some serious A$%

Come to Queens
I don't care who is faster either, I don't even like street racing, the only reason I am calling people out is that all the talking are getting annoying. Seriously, if I keep saying how my auto Civic with 115Hp with intake/exhaust beat Maxima all days long, I belive all of you will be sick and tired of my ****, and you will call me out to race too.

I don't think I will ever get a SC for my MZ3. There will always be people that are faster than me, it really doesn't matter. Speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go?

I think the difference between me and all the people I am arguing with is:
I don't think something is better and I have to stand up for it only because I own it.
See, I like my lil MZ3, I think it's a nice car for $40k, it's the bomb compared to an Eclips spider, but it's $hit compare to a 911. I don't need to get all defensive if people want to talk **** about it, it's better than some and worse than some other, that fact won't change so no point for me to lie to myself and think it's the best car in this world.
And lastly, I am not saying this cuz I moved on so I am bragging about it. Back when I had the Maxima, I had the exact thinking. The Max is a great car for my $25k, but it's never meant to be at the level of 540/GS400/E430.

I don't know if I am the only one seeing this trend:
Those who are honest with themselves and realize the Maxima for what it is, they strive for the better toys and they do move on. We have Galo went to 540, Robert and Tetsuo went to NSX, Audi went to Supra, Brian and I went to M power, and S3 is waiting on the delivery of his 328Ci, some are setting eyes on the new E46 M3.
Those who lie to themselves and think Maimxa is the greatest car, they prolly will have the same Maxima for the next 10 years(or downgraded in Russ's case, LMAO). I mean what's the motivation to move on if you alreays are driving the best car?

Peace.

[Edited by WoodEar on 08-29-2000 at 02:41 AM]
Old 08-28-2000, 11:39 PM

Re: Re: When I mentioned handicapp I was talking about the Mz3->

When I mentioned handicapp I was talking about the Mz3 VS a N/A maxima. I don't care what anyone wants to say the chances of a auto max with our usual bolt on would loose to a GS400.
A 5speed max would be a good race.
I never Disagreed with you on that. My problem is why not wait till someone make that claim and call them out.
Seems very simple to me!!!
Oh by the way Phill 96se said he would accept your challenge But he has a 5speed and he is supercharged.
Oh ok, I misunderstood that, I though we were talking about my stock GS4. Sure 13.7 is hard for NA max to beat, that would be a handicap.

Phil has a SC now?! Then no need to race, I admit he will win. I have seen timeslips for SC'ed max running high 13's, and I honestly admit that's enough to kick my ***, so no need to waste time. I was calling out the NA ones.
Old 08-29-2000, 05:39 AM
Banned

Thanks for the confidence..>

in me and the car. I have raced one GS400 on the track, it was in my class by accident. The car ran a 14.6 to my 14.4 but I was running slicks, afterwards he went and got the class changed to the proper one because he did not want to
race me again.

The drag strip and the street are two different things. Conditions, reaction, traction and adrenilin all come into play. I would love to race another GS400 on my crappy 17"
all-season tires. I might just squeak out a 14.6 but that will be due to my time spent at the track. Woodear's car should blast down the 1/4 mile with it's 8-cylinders and rear-wheel drive, no problem but to much wheelspin or inexperience will also factor in. Power to weight ratio is another element so the M3 is out of the question. :P

One more big difference is MONEY.

My opinion...

On the track it's the GS400(unless you race ME) but on the street it's going to be much, much closer.

Jim W will back me up on this in reference to the track being different then the street.

Oh by the way, keep posting because I am having a great time
reading all these. I think it's nice to see someone drop your name in a conversation...thanks!

[Edited by Jeff K on 08-29-2000 at 09:13 AM]
Old 08-29-2000, 06:46 AM

Whats really funny about woodear........

Is that long ago Jim W wanted to race him....and he's like "not on the street" "I don't race...etc ect"

But he's all about going at it.

I hate when people have "selective memories"

I just don't remember anything

Mike S.
Old 08-29-2000, 08:30 AM

I don't think something is better and I have to stand up for it only because I own it.

Those who lie to themselves and think Maimxa is the greatest car, they prolly will have the same Maxima for the next 10 years(or downgraded in Russ's case, LMAO). I mean what's the motivation to move on if you alreays are driving the best car?
Thanks for worrying about us maxima owners. Frankly, i could give a f&ck less about what you think about us maxima owners. So your mission is to educate each and every one of us maxima owners? Find something better to do than worry about people who like their cars.
Old 08-29-2000, 08:43 AM
JimW

Sorry had to get involved in this one-->

I can attest to a few things.
street racing is much different that track racing. I am the same guy who raced an 540ia on the street and beat him. I also raced 2 GS4's on the street and won (with witnesses) GTP's the same thing.
In a street race, there are many other variables that come into play that aren't really a factor when on the track. My Max was very fast onthe street, but on the track (the one time I tried out my killer combination) I wasn't able to produce good numbers. Why? Traction was my problem, that and a tranny that was ailing, despite a recent rebuild (after my last track outing with StealthMax, the car returned to the tranny shop for another 2 weeks for a complete rebuild)
ON the track, you often will find less traction that is available onthe street. I know that I beat the cars that I did on the street, and I also know that when I ran at the track, I couldn't put the power to the pavement and my ET suffered. That was the reason for my entire debate over trap speeds and ET. A car with a high mph in the 1/4 mile is one that is making more power than a car with a lower mph. A car that pulls 97 mph in the quarter mile is definitely capable of low 14's. A car that pulls 90 mphin the 1/4 mile is not ever going to run in the 14's., not without a significant increase of HP.
Do I believe an auto Max can run good with an M3? Sure I do. I also happen to know the car that did this personally, and having drivenit I know that's it possible of doing exactly that. Same as mine was.. I don't discredit others, I let them do that for themselves. If Jose was talking trash, eventually it'll come out, and he'll look like an idiot. But he isn't, so he won't. (remember this is the same guy who did the wicked burnout at Giants stadium) Everyone said he had wet tires, set the parking brake and all that..
Jose showed me how to burn out exactly the way he did, and Igot so addicted to it I had to force myself to stop, or go through thousands of dollars in tires.

Old 08-29-2000, 09:10 AM

Re: Thanks for the confidence..>

Originally posted by Jeff K
in me and the car. I have raced one GS400 on the track, it was in my class by accident. The car ran a 14.6 to my 14.4 but I was running slicks, afterwards he went and got the class changed to the proper one because he did not want to
race me again.
That's exactly why I said I would shut up if Jeff you are the one talking. Cuz you have got the proof of a time which is capable of beating a GS400. Every other one with those ****ing roadkills are barely seeing 14's, ****, if one wants to believe that's enuff to beat a GS400, go ahead and be foolish.
Of course I will admit anything can happen on street since driver matters, but so ****ing what? I can beat a F355 in my Civic if teh Ferrari driver suck *****, but hey the car is still a fast car for a fact.

Old 08-29-2000, 09:19 AM

Re: Whats really funny about woodear........

Originally posted by Mike S.
Is that long ago Jim W wanted to race him....and he's like "not on the street" "I don't race...etc ect"

Mike S.
Hmm, no, stop lying.
I said back then, I will meet him on the track as long as Jim gets his 14's slip. Why? because I honestly believe it's a waste of my time to race a car that's stilling running 15's.
Just like if you don't like to go to track, you most likely won't care to race my 17sec Civic, but if I run a 15.2, you will have to race me to prove you are faster since 15.2 is capable of beating a Maxima, see the point?

Bottom line: how fast a GS400 stock is established, people on this BBS had witnessed them run 14.4-14.8. How fast a modded NA auto like Jim's or Jose's are NOT established, they will have to show a 14's pass to prove they are capable of running 14's, and I don't. So before you want to take on a bigger opponent, prove yourself worthy 1st, the only one did that is Jeff K, not those who posts roadkilss everyday.
Old 08-29-2000, 09:22 AM

Re: Re: Thanks for the confidence..>

Of course I will admit anything can happen on street since driver matters, but so ****ing what? I can beat a F355 in my Civic if teh Ferrari driver suck *****, but hey the car is still a fast car for a fact.
So why the f*ck are you arguing this? Can you explain what you are arguing? Nobody says the M3 is not fast...in fact they claim it is fast and that is why they are proud they kept up with it...period...the end

[Edited by Francis96se on 08-29-2000 at 11:50 AM]
Old 08-29-2000, 09:23 AM

dont get me wrong guys but this is funny....

but its gettin outta hand...
ppl who are talking bout racing mz3 with maximas is pointless..Cuz we all know racing a stock maxima and a stock mz3 is bs
they are in a totally different class..
a modded maxima in its class is highly reputable...
and the Mz3 in its class we all know is also very reputable
with competition from the s2000 and audi tt and stuff

the way i c it u start with a stock maxima and build ur way up ... but no where in the line do i c me revving up a mz3
it just doesnt make sense... however a stock maxima and a stock gs 300 would make a outstanding race or even teh 528 with a maxima
modifying a maxima is great finding other modified cars in UR CLASS and racing those is even better.
As for the gs4 go find a 540 and race that
thats my $0.02

SOrry if thiswas long but i hope i got my point acroosss

Originally posted by Jeff K
race me again.
That's exactly why I said I would shut up if Jeff you are the one talking. Cuz you have got the proof of a time which is capable of beating a GS400. Every other one with those ****ing roadkills are barely seeing 14's, ****, if one wants to believe that's enuff to beat a GS400, go ahead and be foolish.

Old 08-29-2000, 09:46 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: But remember when your GS400 beat a C5 corvette->

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jose
[I]That seems pretty impossible but you said it happen. That what street racing or highway racing is all about. (Anything is possible)
I don't know whats been going on since I wasn't around but since I have been back I haven't heard anyone come up with any wild roadkill story.

Oh my, did he actually say this?! LOL the C5 was not racing, sorry!!!!

Old 08-29-2000, 10:18 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

gs400 vs NA Maxima? ur nuts.

more like GS400 vs SC Maxima.. that's more even.

the freakin' 400 is alot more powerful than a NA maxima.. no competition man..

auto SC max vs gs400 would be even.. imho..
Old 08-29-2000, 10:36 AM

You know whats funny nobody is arguing that Fact->

I don't know why WoodEar wants to bring that
up. I raced a GS400 lots of times and I lost, my buddy had one. I get the jump on him till 40mph and then passes me Big Deal. I haven't heard anybody say
they beat a GS400 besides Jeff K and Jim W and the S/C maxes Why don't he call them out.
Well Jim W doesn't have his max anymore so thats useless so who else is left?
All this $hit is doing is wasting Everybody time.
Originally posted by Chebosto

Old 08-29-2000, 10:45 AM

Fer real just forget bout this post already

I don't know why WoodEar wants to bring that
up. I raced a GS400 lots of times and I lost, my buddy had one. I get the jump on him till 40mph and then passes me Big Deal. I haven't heard anybody say
they beat a GS400 besides Jeff K and Jim W and the S/C maxes Why don't he call them out.
Well Jim W doesn't have his max anymore so thats useless so who else is left?
All this $hit is doing is wasting Everybody time.
Originally posted by Chebosto

Old 08-29-2000, 12:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You got lots to learn about racing, Woodear..

If you really think you're GS400 will run the "established" mid 14s it is suppose to run think again buddy. Take it to the track and see. It sounds to me like you're a bench racer and have never set foot on a 1/4 mile track. Until you do, you can shut your mouth. As far as I'm concerned your GS400 is running 15s. It will take practice to learn how to launch at the strip. I started out with 15.6s@90mph and knocked it down to 14.9@94 with nearly the same mods. This is after going to the track 4 different times (16 runs total so far). I thought I was a good driver before I went and it turns out I wasn't that great. I still can't get off the line that well which is due to our unprepped track. Nearly all the RWD cars at my track run drag tire/slicks. You would be surprised with how different the track is over a street. The track is covered in rubber and doesn't work well with street tires. Have you ever hit 2nd gear so hard that the tires spun to 6000 rpms? It happened to me twice. That's how different the track is. Another thing that irrates me is that you poke fun at guys running low 15s and high 14s in their modded Maximas yet you don't realize what track they are running at and what the conditions were. You say, "well he's only run 15.0 why waste my time?" What if he's at 2500 feet above sea level? That's an instant .25 drop in et. Weather also plays a big role.

Point is, you'll spin and be slower than you think at the track. I rarely see people running low 14s in modified Z28s (auto or 6 speed) and such even though the mags say they run low 14s stock. Most modded Mustangs are running mid 14s or higher. Magazines correct their ets AND they run on measured out 1/4 mile strips of pavement and use an overboard timing device. Rarely do they run on a real track. If they did they would get significantly different times.

Why not just end this. It proves nothing until you get some timeslips. Like I said, you're running 15s in a 300hp V8 sedan.

Dave
Old 08-29-2000, 12:42 PM

wow well said Dave

wow dave very impressive i learned a few things just reading that... im still a newbie to all this and i must say i dont know half the stuff u ppl know
i have yet ot og to a track ... for 2 reasons
1. my cars not up to my standards yet
2. dotn know where they happen here in TOronto its nothing like it is over there once a weekend u guys got one here itsl ike 1 a month ...

whatever just wanted to let u know that u proved ur point
well said .!

If you really think you're GS400 will run the "established" mid 14s it is suppose to run think again buddy. Take it to the track and see. It sounds to me like you're a bench racer and have never set foot on a 1/4 mile track. Until you do, you can shut your mouth. As far as I'm concerned your GS400 is running 15s. It will take practice to learn how to launch at the strip. I started out with 15.6s@90mph and knocked it down to 14.9@94 with nearly the same mods. This is after going to the track 4 different times (16 runs total so far). I thought I was a good driver before I went and it turns out I wasn't that great. I still can't get off the line that well which is due to our unprepped track. Nearly all the RWD cars at my track run drag tire/slicks. You would be surprised with how different the track is over a street. The track is covered in rubber and doesn't work well with street tires. Have you ever hit 2nd gear so hard that the tires spun to 6000 rpms? It happened to me twice. That's how different the track is. Another thing that irrates me is that you poke fun at guys running low 15s and high 14s in their modded Maximas yet you don't realize what track they are running at and what the conditions were. You say, "well he's only run 15.0 why waste my time?" What if he's at 2500 feet above sea level? That's an instant .25 drop in et. Weather also plays a big role.

Point is, you'll spin and be slower than you think at the track. I rarely see people running low 14s in modified Z28s (auto or 6 speed) and such even though the mags say they run low 14s stock. Most modded Mustangs are running mid 14s or higher. Magazines correct their ets AND they run on measured out 1/4 mile strips of pavement and use an overboard timing device. Rarely do they run on a real track. If they did they would get significantly different times.

Why not just end this. It proves nothing until you get some timeslips. Like I said, you're running 15s in a 300hp V8 sedan.

Dave
Old 08-29-2000, 12:49 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: You got lots to learn about racing, Woodear..

Dave
Good point Dave...glad you put him back in his shoes. Also, the you must be talking about the LT1 97 and older Z28s, the 98+ Zs run mid 13s stock.

Old 08-29-2000, 02:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well Russ, my track might be different

"Most" LS1s at my track are running low 14s@102-103mph. It seems like nearly all the LS1s are SS's. There is one guy I know that has a 98 Z28 A4, 3200 stall, 100hp NOS, and I/E. He's running 12.8@108 on street tires. I've seen a few C5s have hit mid 13s@105mph. Most LT1s are modded and are running 14.2-14.4 however I've got a couple friends running mid 13s in their LT1 and they seem to be the fastest out there. Heck, even I ran a 13.4@104mph in my modded 94 Z28 after about 30 passes in the thing. Honestly, I've never seen a stock LS1 come close to hitting mid-low 13s, BUT I'm not saying it can be done. I believe it.

Like I said, my track is kinda slow. Example, one friend ran his stock 00 Type R in Nashville and ran a 14.6@95mph, but at KCIR he runs 15.3s@93mph (no traction for a brutal launch). Another friend has run his modded 95 Z28 to a 12.9@108 in Houston, but at KCIR he stuck in the 13.5s@104mph.

Dave

Quick Reply: MAXIMA vs M3 GS400 540I ->