General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

do you put distilled water in yr battery? even in Canadian winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 02:03 PM

do you put distilled water in yr battery? even in Canadian winter?

the car manual said put distill water in yr battery but what will happen in the winter? won't the water inside the battery freeze? The manual also said put distill water in when your battery indicator says you're below the low mark, but I got a problem, mine doesn't say anything, I don't see any water behind the white cover.
Old 10-22-2001, 02:05 PM
SLOW

The water becomes acid in the battery... I've never heard of it freezing.
Old 10-22-2001, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
The water becomes acid in the battery... I've never heard of it freezing.
sorry abt this stupid topic dad asked me that question so I asked you guys. But I got a problem, I can't see the fluid behind that white indicator in the battery adn why is there like 10 holes on top of the battery? do I add water to all of those?
Old 10-22-2001, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale

sorry abt this stupid topic dad asked me that question so I asked you guys. But I got a problem, I can't see the fluid behind that white indicator in the battery adn why is there like 10 holes on top of the battery? do I add water to all of those?
you can top off those cell that are low & you should also check each cell w/a batt. hydrometer after it is charged to see if there are any week/shorted cells
but if your battery is using/losing water, its not a good sign, you will have to replace it soon.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by 99NosMax

you can top off those cell that are low & you should also check each cell w/a batt. hydrometer after it is charged to see if there are any week/shorted cells
but if your battery is using/losing water, its not a good sign, you will have to replace it soon.
I agree that bad cells will burn off a lot of water, and commonly presage early failure. Here in South Texas, though, the hot summers really reduce the amount of water in the battery cells (I always had that as a maintenance item on previous cars with non-sealed batteries), but as long I have kept them properly filled, I've never had a problem with reduced battery life. My Maxima is the first car I've had in more than 10 years which doesn't have a sealed ("Maintenance-free") battery.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by 99NosMax

ok I opened the 6 plugs on the battery, I see some liquid inside (down low, need a flashlight to see that, I see teh bottom too not far from it) It is pretty low, I don't think my fingers can reach there. I also don't see anything in the white indicator, maybe its too low? I dunno, but do u guys think I should add more water in?
Old 10-23-2001, 05:20 PM

how to tell if water is needed

This is what I do. It is hard to see the level of liquid in the battery when you look at it. Put the caps back on the top if you had taken then off. Then clean the dirt off of the front face of the battery where the low/high water mark lines are. Look at the front of the battery as you push the car up and down. This will make the water in the battery move and allows you to see where the water level is. Since there are six seperate chambers, only fill the ones that are low! Only add a few ozs of watter at a time because you don't want to overfill it!

Hope this helps

STEVE
Old 10-23-2001, 05:32 PM

Re: how to tell if water is needed

Originally posted by sascuderi
This is what I do. It is hard to see the level of liquid in the battery when you look at it. Put the caps back on the top if you had taken then off. Then clean the dirt off of the front face of the battery where the low/high water mark lines are. Look at the front of the battery as you push the car up and down. This will make the water in the battery move and allows you to see where the water level is. Since there are six seperate chambers, only fill the ones that are low! Only add a few ozs of watter at a time because you don't want to overfill it!

Hope this helps

STEVE
thanks, thats a really good idea, I'll try tomorrow.