General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Power steering problems.. (4th gen)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:07 AM

Power steering problems.. (4th gen)

EDIT:

My power steering reservoir is going down kind of fast. I am wondering if changing the hoses (specifically which one) would be an easy job or if there is something else I should check.

Would it be worth looking into and doing on my own?

Thanks

Last edited by FishyMan; 12-25-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:53 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by FishyMan
I've always had PS problems with most vehicles. It seems after a certain mileage it gets leaky and the PS reservoir drinks.

I have googled and searched here on forums max but didn't get much results. I dunno if this is a BIG BIG job worth doing or if I should just constantly top off w/ fluid.

Will air getting into the system hurt it? (i read this before somewhere).

Can I replace some hoses before extreme changes?

Thanks.
If you're looking for just 4th gen responses: http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Anyway, if what is a big job? You didn't list a specific task.
Replace the PS pump? Not all too difficult, but by far not the easiest.
Hoses? Simple.
Reservoir? Simple.
Rack? Have fun...

Air won't 'hurt it', per se. It's supposed to be a self-bleeding system, by design.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Almost all ps issues I've seen with Maximas have involved the ps hose. It's a factor of age. Not that bad to do the change, and the bleeding is straightforward.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
If you're looking for just 4th gen responses: http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Anyway, if what is a big job? You didn't list a specific task.
Replace the PS pump? Not all too difficult, but by far not the easiest.
Hoses? Simple.
Reservoir? Simple.
Rack? Have fun...

Air won't 'hurt it', per se. It's supposed to be a self-bleeding system, by design.

My car has about 90k and I do see the hoses feel soaked - a tad (not entirely). I am thinking of just changing it first. I normally do maintenance with the fluid so I hope it isn't the pump going bad.

I have searched on the 4th gen for some writeups but didn't find much specifically on the job.

Thanks.
merry christmas
Old 12-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by FishyMan
I've always had PS problems with most vehicles. It seems after a certain mileage it gets leaky and the PS reservoir drinks.
What cars have you owned in the past, how many miles are you talking about. What leaks? The rack, the lines?
I have googled and searched here on forums max but didn't get much results. I dunno if this is a BIG BIG job worth doing or if I should just constantly top off w/ fluid.
What is the job you are refering to?
I still don't understand what's leaking or troubling your power steering system.

Your post makes no sense.

Santa was very good to me this year.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:56 PM

The only trouble are the leakages that concerns me. I never had to top off until recently through inspection, I noticed the level have dropped kinda low and kinda too fast. I am wondering if this is linked to my rack/pinion and whatever sounds/suspension/steering noises I might be experiencing (posted in 4th gen).

In terms of problems and other leaks, this has affect my older accords. The leakage in the hoses, lines dripped onto other things. Well as you know, it leads to belts snapping. Clearly something is wrong if the fluid is draining that fast.

I am not too familiar with power steering system and what not. If air getting into the system isn't a problem. I thinK i can probably just drain it and change the hoses and bleed it with ease. With other makes and model, I was told, never to let air get in.

Thanks