General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Altering Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 09:31 AM

Altering Gear Ratio

Alright since I'm still poking around my transmission and I got all the gears out, i'm wondering if theres anyway to alter the gear ratio. More specifically, I will probaly "shorten" 4th gear so it is more in the peak area in the 1/4, as well as make 5th gear taller, so it will have more of the overdrive effect. Only trouble is, I dont think anybody makes gears for us.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

interesting... if you were going to mess with gears then I would shorten 3rd and 4th and leave 5th alone... unless you a deep into the 13s then you are not really using 4th get for more than a few inches...
Old 10-26-2001, 10:26 AM

I was thinking the same

A few months after buying the car, I noticed fourth and fifth are too close together. I think the car was optimized to go no faster than 50 miles, like most cars. But what gets me, is the close ratio of fourth and fifth. If you find a place that makes gears, I'll schedule to redo my whole transaxle. I want a lighter flywheel, a more durable clutch, and gears that will yeild me more miles per gallon. Come to think about it, isn't that what everyone wants?
Old 10-26-2001, 11:04 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quaife can make gear sets, but check out the prices.

Id settle for a lower final drive ratio. I'd pay good money for it too. Perhaps Brian can get somthing going on this with Quaife.

Eric, how goes the ATB install?
Old 10-26-2001, 12:43 PM

You know what, now that we've mentioned it, I'm going to seriously look into this. I'm gonna see what it takes to get the gears modified. Hopefully I can take it somewhere close so I'll be able to work with them in person. i'm going to ask some of my american car hot rod friends if they got any recommendations. As it seems here, I'd like to lower third gear and forth, and raise fifth. That way in the 1/4 according to my rough estimates, 3rd will be maxed out say around 80 MPH and then 4th will have to be the final gear, hopefully finishing out in the high 90 MPH range for a N/A car right in the peak of the power band. For supercharged/crazy cars, hopefully there should be enough room left over in 4th gear to finish in the 120 MPH range if the car can be propelled that fast.
btw, what is the current top speed in 4th gear?

As for the Quaife install, right now I am taking a break from using a punch and hammer to drive the differntial bearings onto the Quaife. I dont have a press nor do I have a drift, so this is how I gotta do it. I've been held up by issues at the dealers, cause I couldnt press in the bearings until I got my speedometer drive gear as mentioned in a previous post.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
You know what, now that we've mentioned it, I'm going to seriously look into this. I'm gonna see what it takes to get the gears modified. Hopefully I can take it somewhere close so I'll be able to work with them in person. i'm going to ask some of my american car hot rod friends if they got any recommendations. As it seems here, I'd like to lower third gear and forth, and raise fifth. That way in the 1/4 according to my rough estimates, 3rd will be maxed out say around 80 MPH and then 4th will have to be the final gear, hopefully finishing out in the high 90 MPH range for a N/A car right in the peak of the power band. For supercharged/crazy cars, hopefully there should be enough room left over in 4th gear to finish in the 120 MPH range if the car can be propelled that fast.
btw, what is the current top speed in 4th gear?

As for the Quaife install, right now I am taking a break from using a punch and hammer to drive the differntial bearings onto the Quaife. I dont have a press nor do I have a drift, so this is how I gotta do it. I've been held up by issues at the dealers, cause I couldnt press in the bearings until I got my speedometer drive gear as mentioned in a previous post.
Top speed in 4th gear is 131MPH I believe, atleast thats what my speedo says.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:04 PM

Re: Altering Gear Ratio

I know a cheaper way to make the gears shorter. Just buy smaller diameter tires like the size 205/50-15s. This would have the same effect as 4.22 final gear. For example if you were trapping around 94mph now in 4th gear you would be turning around 4700-4800rpm. With this cheap "4.22" gear you'd be around 5100-5200rpm at the same mph. Even though I'm using cartest for the acceleration data which isn't 100% accurate, the change in data is pretty accurate though. For example this 4.22 gear would allow you (assuming you had traction) to drop your 60ft by 1 tenth. That would drop you 1-2 tenths at the 1/4 by itself. Also you should run the lightest rims that fit on your car if possible.

Originally posted by ericdwong
Alright since I'm still poking around my transmission and I got all the gears out, i'm wondering if theres anyway to alter the gear ratio. More specifically, I will probaly "shorten" 4th gear so it is more in the peak area in the 1/4, as well as make 5th gear taller, so it will have more of the overdrive effect. Only trouble is, I dont think anybody makes gears for us.