General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MythBusters ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
so is the "myth" busted, confirmed, or applausible?
applausible?
it may be plausible...but i am definitely applauding the worth of this thread.

the only reason to go over a speed bump at an angle is if your car is really low. that way there is always one tire on the bump to hold the body of your car up above the bump. if your car isnt ridiculously lowered there is no point to go at it sideways or anyother way for that matter and you just look stupid doing so and you hold up traffic.

Last edited by black_maxed95; 02-05-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Suspension Yoda

Why is this ridiculous thread still open?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman420
I always try to hit them at an angle.
All wheels go over the bump, but only one at a time.
Seems to cause the least amount of jarring (for lack of a better word) inside the car.
Well then the anti sway bar will tend to pull other control arm up and put stress on your links. Either way it's bad but i think best is to hit it even. Suspension is designed to travel!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

The car doesn't care as long as you go over at a reasonable speed. I go over speedbumps straight because it limits lateral motion in the occupants (me!) I find that goign over with one side only causes an uncomfortable side-to-side motion. Going at an anlge doubles the effect.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
so is the "myth"...applausible?
It's gonorrheable

I think the word you were looking for is plausible thanksbye
Old 02-22-2008, 12:32 PM

Makes no difference at all.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
so, is it better to dodge a speedbump with only half your car (two wheels) or is it better to hit it dead on, so that both axels go over evenly?
Ultimately it makes no difference. Your car's suspension system is designed to do a couple of things for you. One, absorb bumps and uneven surfaces for passenger comfort, and two, safely compensate for uneven torques exerted on the car.

Are you wearing the car unevenly if you drive over half of a speedbump? Not really, because the suspension system is designed to take this beating. IF it was always the same half of the car, and IF you drove over thousands of speedbumps, maybe. You'd probably wear out the damper within the strut, and you'd rattle bolts loose all over the car.

Think about all of the old 60's, 70's and 80's cars that are still on the road, in every imaginable condition. They've been taking speedbumps for decades, and however comfortable or safe they may be, the car is still running.

I say do whatever is easiest (most comfortable, most convenient, most fun, etc) and don't worry about wearing out your suspension.

HTH.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i creep over the taller ones straight on....the wide flat ones, i take with one side only