General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How did you guys get to where you are now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 PM

No need to feel dumb if you don't know a lot but are willing to learn. That's not only on cars, it applies to everything.

I joined this forum in 1997, or whatever it was then. I was amazed to see a couple people in a short time go from a 4th gen to a Supra Turbo, and Ferrari. Those who have been around know who those people are.

People who know how to do something can easily show you when they're working on their own cars, or if they're kind, they'll show you on yours. The first time I did Maxima brakes, I had never seen a floating caliper. I was shocked as I thought all brakes were 4 or 2 piston. After I was shown and with the rear caliper tool, I've done the brakes once more on the front, and twice in the rear (sticky caliper).

Don't feel bullied by people acting like they're so knowledgeable and you're not, this is just a forum. It's here for everyone. I used to get people telling me if you love BMW's so much, why don't you buy one already. Especially by this hoser up in Vancouver. Hopefully he took off, eh? I've had a 335 coupe for about 16 mos. now. I still have the Maxima and she's running strong. Don't get the good gas mileage like 5 years ago, but can still do about 26 mpg on the highway. To the OP, good luck.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I was amazed to see a couple people in a short time go from a 4th gen to a Supra Turbo, and Ferrari. Those who have been around know who those people are.
Dang dood, I told u not to let out my secret! LOL. Man, those guys are livin it up, props to them.

Dr J
Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 AM
GrandPa

I learned alot on this org. I wouldn't worry about the flamers and haters. They have nothing better to do in their lives than bust *****.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Didnt know anything about cars before I bought my 1992 tercel 2 years and 4 months ago. Learned everything about it, read hundreds of hours about it, and worked tons of hours too.... bought tools, etc.

Going to be a dentist in 4 months and I'm going to buy a maxima in 2-3 months.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM

my dads a nissan mechanic, i suppose thats why i like nissans, much better than the local rivals to nissan, ford and holden (general motors need i say more...) watched him work on everything from 120y's to silvias and his collection of skylines LOL (R34 and V35 now days) i got a datsun 180b,before i got my licence, it was a bribe from mom and dad to stop me from getting in **** at school (what can i say i hung out with a bad crowd)

i learnt every thing in that car, from converting it to a manual, 4 speed then 5 speed, to putting a sound system in it.

then 3.5 years ago i bought my R31 skyline and thats where things got heavy.

i basically knew it would end up turbo one day and it did, a poor R32 4 door donated its front end to my car, ive replaced 2 diffs in it (borg warner diffs dont like more than stock power LOL) pulled the gear box out myself about 5 times (twice with my dads help)

being a fitter and turner apprentice has helped me when things need to be machined for the skyline (and fitting the bloody aftermarket seats) makeing brackets and general engineering knowledge

then on friday i picked up my 2004 Ti maxima (australian ones look vastly different to american ones mines model code is J31 wtf is yours mabey visit www.nissan.com.au for a look!)

its a really nice car, love the sunroof and leather inside, just a pitty they dont come in manual.... ohh and the fact that old people seem to drive them here, people look confused when they see a 22 year old driving a car that is normally driven by 50+ people
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I traded sexual favors for automative knowledge.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 AM

I did not know anything about cars untill the day I started liking Fords and the diesel trucks. I also bought toy models and built them and I also read the diagram and there labelings of the each car parts they had in the model. I also was Involved with lot of cars because my dad's friend was a mechanic, we always were around cars and working on them In the parking lot's. I was around american muscle and Imports. I also started learning more about cars when I joined the org and I was working on my 3rd and 4th gens and reading the org every single day and sometimes I would stay on the org for hours reading the stickies. The maxima community Is very helpful and has lot's of knowledge about cars. Thanks maxima.org.