General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Have ANyoneTurned/Resurfaced their Rotors in Max??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 08:51 AM

I was wondering as to how many of you guys on the forum have had to turn/ resurface your rotors because they are warped and braking is not smooth. I know a lot have been said that this is a a "defect" in design in our car.
I have been looking for a place to have this done in NYC and one place-Mavis said the cost is $15 per rotor plus labor--is that a decent deal?

Is there anything to watch out for in this to prevent a rip off?

thank you.

=) Brian
Old 11-03-2000, 09:31 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

have them turned...don't cut them.
Dan

Originally posted by humaras
I was wondering as to how many of you guys on the forum have had to turn/ resurface your rotors because they are warped and braking is not smooth. I know a lot have been said that this is a a "defect" in design in our car.
I have been looking for a place to have this done in NYC and one place-Mavis said the cost is $15 per rotor plus labor--is that a decent deal?

thank you.

=) Brian
Old 11-03-2000, 09:31 AM

Brake rotor turning>>

thank you.

=) Brian
I've had it done...my rotors were a little warped. Now they're fine...been driving for 10K miles since then with no problems. Just make sure they don't turn them to the point where the minimum rotor thickness is exceeded.
Old 11-03-2000, 09:35 AM

just had mine resufaced....

I paid 180 bucks for replacement pads resurfaced rotors and a radiator flush from my mechanic. My front rotors were definatly warped though....Doesn't sound like a bad deal

Old 11-03-2000, 09:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

The thing is w/ turning(milling actually) the rotors, is most places will just turn them a xxxx amount. Whether it acually needed that much or not. Usually you can have rotors turned up to two times(maybe only once depending on the amount of damage) If the guy really knows what they are doing(rare), you can ask then just to turn the rotor the min amount to get them true, get the score marks out, get the edge lip off etc.....You really want to keep as much "meat" as possible on the rotor as this is what helps absorb the heat and then gradually let the heat out. If this action is performed too rapidly, you get warped rotors again. Thinner it gets, the more prone to warpage your rotors become.

thank you.

=) Brian
Old 11-03-2000, 10:06 AM

Make sure they keep you rotor thickness within the 'spec. Otherwise you will just damage them again and need new ones. The last time I had mine turned I think it was cheaper, but it helps to know the mechanic.
Old 11-03-2000, 10:20 AM

Just had rear pads replaced, rear rotors turned, front pads, calipers, and rotors all replaced...
$390... ($45 each axel for semi-metallic pads, turn rear rotors, $75 replace each front rotor (vented like stock), $75 each to repace caliper). I know for a fact the guy lost money doing it, but he had a fool of a mechanic quoting me when the owner was gone...and I go there with both cars so often that he just said he would eat it.

Both the front rotors that were replaced had "hot spots", whatever those are, and the driver side caliper was binding to the point that the rotor and caliper were glowing red when they lifted the car and removed the wheel! He said the rears had Hot Spots too, but those were turned out.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:22 AM
mrloyd

first, 10 to 1 its your front rotors that are causing the problem. They do the majority of the braking and therefore they warp easier. It is really easy to take the rotors off, if you need instructions start another post and someone will help you. Anyway, just take them off and bring them to a mechanic, they will charge you very little since they are already off. Pep boys does it for under 10 each.

Old 11-03-2000, 12:08 PM

guys--

thanks so much for your input. I am fairly certain that it my front rotors that is causing this problem. As MrLoyd states, I happen to think it is from the front rotors because it only gives me strong pulsating vibrations on the steering wheel (no brake pedal) when I brake down from about 70mph and above. Ironically, at about the same speed 70-75, I get steering wheel vibrations hitting the gas because I think my wheels aren't balance properly...would anyone know if these two symptoms are related?
And I am shrugging as I say this--but it can't be a suspension problem could it?

I am assuming my rotors need to be cut/turned (they are the same thing right?)-- And like I have complained a few times earlier, the firestone did a pi$$ poor job of balancing and scratching the hell out of my rims.

thanks again for the advice, guys.

Brian
Old 11-03-2000, 02:32 PM

make sure whomever puts the lugs back on that they torque them within fact specs and in a criss cross pattern!!! Way too many shops overtorque the lugs w/ their air tools, causing the rotors to warp. I have friends who were told to overtorque the lugs by several lb-ft on customer cars.. bad bad bad!!! wheel/tire shops do this all the time cuz they know you'll be back later....

whenever I had to get my tires rebalanced or mounted, I insisted that I'm the one who takes the wheels off and put them on. With my torque wrench in hand, I come armed LOL
Old 11-03-2000, 02:38 PM

Gotrice--

I could have sworn that could have been one of the cause for my warped rotors in the front. I think first, when my father took my car to have the brakes done, this dude overtorque and then cross threaded the lugs. ANd the reason this happened was when I went to go get new tires, they broke off one of the lugs cause they couldn't get it off--a sign there, wouldn't you say?
I am sure it was this dude with the airtools who Freaked it all up---*sighhh* never going back to them. They were so damn dishonest that they cajoled my father into changing the rear brake pads 1t 25k...and when I looked at the pads--I was like "what???"
anyways, I shall yield to these words of caution tomorrow.

=) thanks a lot guys.

Brian

Originally posted by got rice?
make sure whomever puts the lugs back on that they torque them within fact specs and in a criss cross pattern!!! Way too many shops overtorque the lugs w/ their air tools, causing the rotors to warp. I have friends who were told to overtorque the lugs by several lb-ft on customer cars.. bad bad bad!!! wheel/tire shops do this all the time cuz they know you'll be back later....

whenever I had to get my tires rebalanced or mounted, I insisted that I'm the one who takes the wheels off and put them on. With my torque wrench in hand, I come armed LOL
Old 11-03-2000, 02:53 PM

Re: Gotrice--

I could have sworn that could have been one of the cause for my warped rotors in the front. I think first, when my father took my car to have the brakes done, this dude overtorque and then cross threaded the lugs. ANd the reason this happened was when I went to go get new tires, they broke off one of the lugs cause they couldn't get it off--a sign there, wouldn't you say?
I am sure it was this dude with the airtools who Freaked it all up---*sighhh* never going back to them. They were so damn dishonest that they cajoled my father into changing the rear brake pads 1t 25k...and when I looked at the pads--I was like "what???"
anyways, I shall yield to these words of caution tomorrow.

=) thanks a lot guys.

Brian
You can also use a torque wrench to beat their *** if they screw up LOL... multi-purpose tool!
Old 11-03-2000, 03:43 PM

Phuong--

yeah that would be a great idea. But I think in the two years that I have had this car--I have had my share of incompetent mechanics. And you know what is the funniest thing? Most of this car is not from wear and tear, but from their sheer incompetence--and inability to be careful.

then again it is hard to expect that sometimes and feel that I am leaving my baby to a careless babysitter.

I assume, you have had your shares of warped rotors?

laters man--

Brian