General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

No y-pipe for new Altima

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 09:00 AM

No y-pipe for new Altima

I drove a 3.5SE 5-speed Altima last night. I don't know what the heck everyone was talking about with the whole torque steer thing...I didn't notice any at all (maybe just in auto cars). It was quick...but not as quick as my bolt on 5-speed '97...it just didn't pull as hard. I felt like I was sitting REALLY high up...almost like driving an SUV. It handles nice...but not any better than a 4th gen with a FSTB and a RSB. The guages are kinda wierd...and it's hard to see the tach as it's ofset to the left. The shifter sucked BAD...felt like a video game...and the clutch didn't even start to engage until it was almost 80% out. Overall...I wasn't very impressed.....can't wait to test drive the 02 max 6-speed!

Anyway to get to the point of my post..I looked under the car last night after driving it...and the exhaust set-up is really wierd...the muffler is literally RIGHT behind the cat, and it almost 3 feel long!!! the cat sit almost directly under the engine...so a y-pipe in the traditional sense won't really be feasible....I hope the max isn't like this.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:43 AM

I think that a y pipe isn't going to be needed on the 3.5. I mean....the pipe just simply is different than all the old school v6's(including the 3l vq). I think they come together more smoothly eliminating any gains from a y.
Old 10-30-2001, 09:44 AM
Administrator

i think the Altima has Duals.. i think its true duals.. well maybe not..
Old 10-30-2001, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
they cant even put in a nice interior, why would they put on true duals?
Old 10-30-2001, 11:38 AM
Banned

Check out www.greghome.com

Greg took pictures of the underside of the 3.5 Maxima while it was on a rack out front of the dealership. He also has pictures of the 3.5 Altima setup in the "Random Musing" section. The "N.Y. Auto show April 18th" link has what your looking for.

www.greghome.com
Old 10-30-2001, 01:52 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i've been talking to daniel(bluefish) and he's been talking to brian catts. let's just say that Cone intakes are pretty much done. the CAI is almost done. they are starting the y-pipe and the body kit is being molded as we speak, ready in under a month
Old 10-30-2001, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: No y-pipe for new Altima

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I drove a 3.5SE 5-speed Altima last night. I don't know what the heck everyone was talking about with the whole torque steer thing...I didn't notice any at all (maybe just in auto cars). It was quick...but not as quick as my bolt on 5-speed '97...it just didn't pull as hard. I felt like I was sitting REALLY high up...almost like driving an SUV. It handles nice...but not any better than a 4th gen with a FSTB and a RSB. The guages are kinda wierd...and it's hard to see the tach as it's ofset to the left. The shifter sucked BAD...felt like a video game...and the clutch didn't even start to engage until it was almost 80% out. Overall...I wasn't very impressed.....can't wait to test drive the 02 max 6-speed!

Well, you feel like I do then. I wasn't impress enouogh to spend 27 grand on one. I felt like I was sitting high and far away from the dash. I don't know, something is weird about the interior. If yu would have driven the auto, you would notice that they don't have an OD button, just a gated shifter with 3rd to the left of D. Not that it means anything but the car is weird.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
no...it's not true duals...I looked at it...it splits near the back like a V6 accord does.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:41 PM

Re: Check out www.greghome.com

Originally posted by Jeff K
Greg took pictures of the underside of the 3.5 Maxima while it was on a rack out front of the dealership. He also has pictures of the 3.5 Altima setup in the "Random Musing" section. The "N.Y. Auto show April 18th" link has what your looking for.

www.greghome.com

k....I just looked at the pics of the altimas exhaust and it looks NOTHING like the maximas....it has 2 friggen flex sections on the "y-pipe section...and it curves around REALLY wierdly. a y-pipe with 2 flex sections would be mucho $$$$$.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Check out www.greghome.com

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

k....I just looked at the pics of the altimas exhaust and it looks NOTHING like the maximas....it has 2 friggen flex sections on the "y-pipe section...and it curves around REALLY wierdly. a y-pipe with 2 flex sections would be mucho $$$$$.
another reason to buy a maxima