General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Canadian 6 Speed Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Canadian 6 Speed Test Drive

Here's my first post...............

So, I've been test driving cars for the last six months both in and out of my price range. Unfortunately, affordability has become the most important issue (thanks to my wife and mortgage), so I won't be buying an M3

I've driven everything that is and isn't in competition with the 02 Max. (X-Type, 330ci, IS300, RSX Type S, Altima, WRX etc, etc) I told my dealer to call me when he got a manual tranny for me to drive. Like most of you, I've had little luck getting one (come in, put down a deposit, I've been told, yeah right) He called on Fri and said they weren't expecting a car till November. The manuals were ordered in Sept '01, set to build in October and deliver in November. Anywho, as luck would have it, a Sterling Mist one fell off the truck Fri morning and I was the first customer to test drive it!

My father owns a 00 Max with a slush box, so I've pretty familiar with the car. I was a bit skeptical about the '02. I had hoped Nissan had corrected the vague and overboosted steering (could never tell where the tires were pointing)as well as the squishy brakes.

Well they have done better than that. Just about everything has been significantly improved.

Engine: pulls, pulls, pulls like a freight train, right from idle to redline. No flat spots, no peaks, just pure linear power, felt like an 8 cylinder. One of the sales guys who drove it before me said "0-60 in five seconds, easy" Well I wouldn't say five seconds, my Probe GT consistently ran mid-sevens and this felt considerable faster. I would guess that a good driver could launch and get into the low sixes. It felt waaaay faster and smoother that the Altima 3.5, which is posting 0-60 times all over the map in magazines, so who knows.

Tranny: longish throws, but fairly precise (no missed shifts), not snicktey-snick like the IS300 or the RSX, but what is? Still, no chance you'll miss a shift and blow the engine like in the Type S. Not like that rubbery piece of s**t tranny in the Altima. God Nissan screwed that one up. If you want to row, definelty wait for the 6 speed. Clutch had smooth and confident up-take, very easy to use and modulate.

Driveline: This car had (according to the salesguy) the left over limited slip from 2001. The helical will be part of the December production run according to Nissan Canada literature. There was a slight bit of torque steer under hard straightline acceleration, nothing unnerving though. Still, I'm waiting for December to order. When pushed the car exhibited easily controlled understeer.

Steering & Brakes: Steering still a little too light for lowspeed traffic, but it does tighten up as the speed increases. Not as crisp and precise as the IS300 (which is my benchmark for steering) but a marked improvement over 00. Can't complain for this price though. Aside from the sweet engine, the brakes are really the biggest area of improvement. When braking from 110kmh, the brake distribution came into play and the car felt as if the suspension was pulling all four corners down to the ground. Inspired a great deal of confidence when braking. All my cars must have brakes that match the rest of the cars performance. Very little nose dive whereas the Altima 3.5 turns into a snow plow. Little noise dive, lots of squat and a clean panic free stop. The new systems are certainly doing their job. Compared to the 330Ci I drove at the BMW Training school and the IS300, the new Nissan system works very well in comparison to these cars. Well done.

Sorry to have rambled, I'm sure there is something I've missed. As for price the last two Nissans we bought from this dealer was $500 over dealer invoice. So I'm sure to get a decent deal from this guy. Cars4U.com is offering a base SE (list $33,900) for a little over $31,000. So I will go in shooting for around $34,000 with the leather package (list $3,000). Would like to hear your opinions!

Cheers
Old 10-29-2001, 07:54 PM

Re: Canadian 6 Speed Test Drive

Originally posted by uhstra

So, I've been test driving cars for the last six months both in and out of my price range. Unfortunately, affordability has become the most important issue (thanks to my wife and mortgage), so I won't be buying an M3

I've driven everything that is and isn't in competition with the 02 Max. (X-Type, 330ci, IS300, RSX Type S, Altima, WRX etc, etc) I told my dealer to call me when he got a manual tranny for me to drive. Like most of you, I've had little luck getting one (come in, put down a deposit, I've been told, yeah right) He called on Fri and said they weren't expecting a car till November. The manuals were ordered in Sept '01, set to build in October and deliver in November. Anywho, as luck would have it, a Sterling Mist one fell off the truck Fri morning and I was the first customer to test drive it!

My father owns a 00 Max with a slush box, so I've pretty familiar with the car. I was a bit skeptical about the '02. I had hoped Nissan had corrected the vague and overboosted steering (could never tell where the tires were pointing)as well as the squishy brakes.

Well they have done better than that. Just about everything has been significantly improved.

Engine: pulls, pulls, pulls like a freight train, right from idle to redline. No flat spots, no peaks, just pure linear power, felt like an 8 cylinder. One of the sales guys who drove it before me said "0-60 in five seconds, easy" Well I wouldn't say five seconds, my Probe GT consistently ran mid-sevens and this felt considerable faster. I would guess that a good driver could launch and get into the low sixes. It felt waaaay faster and smoother that the Altima 3.5, which is posting 0-60 times all over the map in magazines, so who knows.

Tranny: longish throws, but fairly precise (no missed shifts), not snicktey-snick like the IS300 or the RSX, but what is? Still, no chance you'll miss a shift and blow the engine like in the Type S. Not like that rubbery piece of s**t tranny in the Altima. God Nissan screwed that one up. If you want to row, definelty wait for the 6 speed. Clutch had smooth and confident up-take, very easy to use and modulate.

Driveline: This car had (according to the salesguy) the left over limited slip from 2001. The helical will be part of the December production run according to Nissan Canada literature. There was a slight bit of torque steer under hard straightline acceleration, nothing unnerving though. Still, I'm waiting for December to order. When pushed the car exhibited easily controlled understeer.

Steering & Brakes: Steering still a little too light for lowspeed traffic, but it does tighten up as the speed increases. Not as crisp and precise as the IS300 (which is my benchmark for steering) but a marked improvement over 00. Can't complain for this price though. Aside from the sweet engine, the brakes are really the biggest area of improvement. When braking from 110kmh, the brake distribution came into play and the car felt as if the suspension was pulling all four corners down to the ground. Inspired a great deal of confidence when braking. All my cars must have brakes that match the rest of the cars performance. Very little nose dive whereas the Altima 3.5 turns into a snow plow. Little noise dive, lots of squat and a clean panic free stop. The new systems are certainly doing their job. Compared to the 330Ci I drove at the BMW Training school and the IS300, the new Nissan system works very well in comparison to these cars. Well done.

Sorry to have rambled, I'm sure there is something I've missed. As for price the last two Nissans we bought from this dealer was $500 over dealer invoice. So I'm sure to get a decent deal from this guy. Cars4U.com is offering a base SE (list $33,900) for a little over $31,000. So I will go in shooting for around $34,000 with the leather package (list $3,000). Would like to hear your opinions!

Cheers
This is good, what/where dealership in Ontario did you test drove this?
Old 10-29-2001, 08:41 PM

Re: Canadian 6 Speed Test Drive

I was able to get $35.8K for a 6spd SE with the leather package. MRSP was $36.9K. Sounds like $34K is what you are aiming for. With that in mind looks like I can do better than $35.8K. I've phoned other dealers though and they will not move from MRSP at $36.9K. BTW what is invoice on the SE with the leather package?

I was to receive my car sometime this week. I cancled after the dealer told me the car would not have HLSD. I instead signed up for the first available HLSD cars. If he tries to bump up the price from $35.8K because of the HLSD I'm cancelling my order. My dealer indicates if I'm very lucky I'll see the car early Jan. Not so lucky beginning of Feb. What is your dealer telling you?

Originally posted by uhstra

>>>>>>>snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cheers
Old 10-29-2001, 08:49 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

well said...
Old 10-29-2001, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very thorough .. nice!

Sometimes I wonder if I should sell my car ... da-yamm! I'll wait till 2004!!!
Old 10-30-2001, 03:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the...

GREAT review uhstra.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:56 AM

Re: Re: Canadian 6 Speed Test Drive

Originally posted by wolfmanjack210
I was able to get $35.8K for a 6spd SE with the leather package. MRSP was $36.9K. Sounds like $34K is what you are aiming for. With that in mind looks like I can do better than $35.8K. I've phoned other dealers though and they will not move from MRSP at $36.9K. BTW what is invoice on the SE with the leather package?

I was to receive my car sometime this week. I cancled after the dealer told me the car would not have HLSD. I instead signed up for the first available HLSD cars. If he tries to bump up the price from $35.8K because of the HLSD I'm cancelling my order. My dealer indicates if I'm very lucky I'll see the car early Jan. Not so lucky beginning of Feb. What is your dealer telling you?
wolf,

I called my dealer yesterday and he said the same to me, Mid January to February.

Dealer Invoice on 2002 Canadian Maxima:

Base SE: $30,602.00
Leather: $2,640.00
Freight: $966.00
Air Tax: $100.00
--------------------
Totals: $34,308.00

Did'nt you try to get a better price by showing them the Cars4U.com price???

Keep me posted.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the comments. My dealer considers me a friend of Nissan. So there is a good chance I'll get a decent price. He told me to collect all the pricing info I can come up with, and make my pitch. I have yet to make a deal.

Amazing2: if your prices are accurate (I'm sure they are, did you get them from carcostcanada.com?) I will have to go up to $34.8 or $34.9. I was told that the mark-up is around 10-11 percent. The lowest the dealer will sell is 4-5 percent over invoice.

I will try to get a price from cars4u.com. I'm also holding out to see if Paul Martin axes the GST on new cars, maybe in the December budget.

As for delivery, I don't need the car till March. The dealer only orders cars once a month. So if I order in Decemebr it will be built until January and shipped in February. So 90 days from date of order, assuming you buy before the the dealer has sent in their orders for the month. Otherwise you add another 30 days.

I was also told that since I'm in no rush to buy the car, they are also more likely to deal. Someone who wants the car now, will have to fight through the line-up of people waiting. Since demand outweighs supply right now, you'll be lucky to see any discount. The only Altima sold at discount was $250 of invoice! The customer demanded they waive the lease admin fee. So if you can be patient, you may catch a break on the price.

I'll be sure to keep you posted of my results
Old 10-30-2001, 11:29 AM

wow 34K Emax got his for like 26K
Old 10-30-2001, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Kashoggio
wow 34K Emax got his for like 26K
He's talking about canada . Thats like 22K US.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by emax95

He's talking about canada . Thats like 22K US.
ahh , i would of got that if I read the whole thing
Old 10-30-2001, 01:56 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i got mine for 500 over invoice from bluefish. i'm picking it up on saturday for sure this time. i can't wait. it's gonna be good judging from this review.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
i got mine for 500 over invoice from bluefish. i'm picking it up on saturday for sure this time. i can't wait. it's gonna be good judging from this review.
So what was the total price you paid for everything?
Old 10-30-2001, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by black97max

So what was the total price you paid for everything?
umm 28,723 with inspection, window tint, and other fees.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

umm 28,723 with inspection, window tint, and other fees.
Do you have to inspect a new car in Mass? In RI you are good for two years.
Old 10-30-2001, 06:46 PM

Yes, you need an inspection sticker right after you buy a new car.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:21 PM

ya i have to get the NY inspection because i bought it there and then mass when i get back. it's only 25 for new york.