General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

engine still not starting after first try when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 12:21 PM

our 95 SE auto was taken to the dealer. they ended up replacing the rear O2 sensor (for $256 including an oil change)and resetting the check engine light. they could not diagnose the starting problem since it only happens when cold starting. does anyone else have this problem? i don't like these costly repairs..and the engine still doesn't start effortlessly when cold!
Old 11-03-2000, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by VQdriver
our 95 SE auto was taken to the dealer. they ended up replacing the rear O2 sensor (for $256 including an oil change)and resetting the check engine light. they could not diagnose the starting problem since it only happens when cold starting. does anyone else have this problem? i don't like these costly repairs..and the engine still doesn't start effortlessly when cold!
they replaced the O2 sensor??! That's fawking BS! the O2 sensor has nothing to do w/ starting the car!

they need to test the fuel pressure!! a Consult diagnostic won't show this since it's mechanical and not electrical..
Old 11-03-2000, 03:19 PM

Just wondering...

Have you had your battery checked yet?
Not starting on first tries when cold is a symptom of a worn battery. (A battery loses 40% and up of its strength when cold.) Thats why a battery checker tests a battery's "cold current amps" to see if its good.

I see you've taken it to a dealer so you may have checked already, but I wanted to ask just in case.
Old 11-03-2000, 05:46 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Try letting the fuel pump prime up before >>>

starting... turn the ignition to the second ignition position and give it a few seconds before cranking her up... It should help
Old 11-03-2000, 05:53 PM

As silly as this sounds...

My dad on his Altima turns the headlights on for a couple seconds, then off, then starts the car. Have you checked the level of fluid IN the battery? (assuming it's not a sealed type)...if it's low that might cause probs. my 2c.

Sounds like it's similar to Chunger's moving the key to the acc position thing. Gets the juice moving.
Old 11-03-2000, 07:30 PM

well the car had difficulty starting when cold for some time. it just happened that the check engine light started coming on. the battery was replaced last spring. i did all the things mentioned on the BBS including letting the fuel pump "prime." doesn't work all the time. the dealer did what they could (or what they wanted to) by resetting the check engine light and replacing the rear O2 sensor..anyone have anymore ideas?
Old 11-04-2000, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by VQdriver
well the car had difficulty starting when cold for some time. it just happened that the check engine light started coming on. the battery was replaced last spring. i did all the things mentioned on the BBS including letting the fuel pump "prime." doesn't work all the time. the dealer did what they could (or what they wanted to) by resetting the check engine light and replacing the rear O2 sensor..anyone have anymore ideas?
another possibility is a worn starter motor, fouled spark plugs, bad crank angle sensor, bad injector, bad coil pack, etc
Old 11-04-2000, 09:45 AM

Bad gas?

Maybe the place you usually get gas got a bad tankload with water in it or something.
Old 11-04-2000, 08:07 PM

it can't be bad fuel as its been happening for quite a while now with many different brands..i hope its nothing serious..but who knows..who do i go to now? the car only has 36k miles..but it's been driven on trips short enough to not let it fully warm up..so that's another clue..maybe bad spark plugs, fuel injectors?
Old 11-05-2000, 01:44 PM

same problem

I have the same problem. I have 58K on my max and recently
the car just won't start with a first try. Actually i can make it start if I crank it with accelerator pressed.
It started happening when the weather got cold. If you find out what it is let me know.
Old 11-05-2000, 03:33 PM
Johnny

that diagnostic sounds right

about the pressures that is. I know when my tank is low, say below 2.5 gallons, the motor does not start on the first try unless it's cranked (more than I'd care to hence 2 tries).

I hope these VQ's don't have fuel problems because they seem nasty to correct, at least that's been my experience with Volvo's and VW's. Only diff was the cars I had had both Bosch K and LH Jetronics, which were mechanical fuel injection system. And it was a joke taking those cars to the "so-called" experts because unless you went to Vermont it added up to lots of useless diagnostic charges and no improvement.

Just to throw out the words I used to hear: line pressure, rest pressure, control pressure regulator, fuel distributor, etc.