General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Things that piss you off about your maxima!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 AM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by lowincash
hmm where should i start...

1. sometimes i get this rattling chain sound when accelerating especially around 1800-2400rpm
2. loud fan noise when a/c is on...my dad's ford explorer is so quiet when a/c is on.
3. rattling in dash and sunroof when going over bumpy roads.
4. wide turning...i can't even make a uturn on my street while my dad's ford explorer can make a turn plus room to spare =/
5. i get crappy gas mileage
6. a lot of road and wind noise
7. stiff ride...when i hit a bump or pot hole car will feel like it's gonna pop
8. stupid trunk floor sags no matter how i position that board thing
9. rear seat isn't that comfortable...headrest area too short and roof too low.
10. cd skips with the bose
11. when window is rolled down half way or slightly opened, when you close the door it sounds like it's gonna break and glass shakes. my old accord never had this problem.
12. stock xenon headlights are ok but doesn't go far...not as good as toyota/lexus ones.
13. fog light lense cracks easily
14. a lot of vibration when driving...hard to explain but i feel it everywhere =(

holly WOW...sounds like it should be a 92...not an 02

I hate all the damn repairs i have to do... but ALL cars are basically money pits

power steering leak led to no bushing in mu pass control arm
rust ON my sunroof and a spot around the frame of the sunroof
struts
and the damn lifeguard squishy spoiler!!!!
besides repairs... I love my 3rd gen!!!
oh and im missing a supercharger
Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Bakermax
You guys are forgetting the most irritating thing about the 4th gen, the fact that if you have anything in your left pocket, it will open the trunk when you're driving down the road. Other than that, I love everything about my 4th gen, sure it could be faster, but I've never had a car that I love as much as my 98 GLE. 202K and I still enjoy driving it 100miles a day to work and back.

Hmm, haven't done that one. But I do quite often knock off the fuse panel cover/door with my knee or foot.

Last edited by ptatohed; 05-09-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:51 PM

i hate that my car is a stock 3.0 and it doesn't pay to upgrade it like all my friends cars, so when ever we go into the city(nyc) we HAVE take my car cuz the cops don't pull us over with what ever violations they can think of. plus i have stock 16's so its ok that we hit pot holes and don't have to worry about bottoming out

i hate that my poor *** coworkers make fun of me/call me rich boy, cuz i have alot of pride in my car because i keep it well maintained.

Last edited by stocked out max; 04-30-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by stocked out max
my poor *** coworkers make fun of me/call me rich boy
Didn't 1 magazine call the Maxima: "Poor-man's BMW"?

It sucks that Maximas are 1-up on camry, accord, altima, but not quite BMW respect. I bet Avalon guys get this crap daily, too. I guess it's better than being a TSX.

Dr J
Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Didn't 1 magazine call the Maxima: "Poor-man's BMW"?

It sucks that Maximas are 1-up on camry, accord, altima, but not quite BMW respect. I bet Avalon guys get this crap daily, too. I guess it's better than being a TSX.

Dr J
avalons are
Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM

my 5.5 is kinda long...or maybe its my lip kit that makes it look like that.

Turning radius (or lack of) would have to be my ultimate complaint with this car...other than that, Im happy with it
Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Hmm, haven't done that one. But I do quite often knock of the fuse panel cover/door with my knee or foot.
mine doesnt even stay in anymore. stupid POS.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
mine doesnt even stay in anymore. stupid POS.
Mine never stayed on after 1 HPDE. Dunno why. So I leave it under the driver seat.

When this thread started, I couldn't think of 1 thing to write. Then as others started posting, I see how I've experienced the same things. Yet, none of the issues really bother me that much.

Do these things really **** u guys off? Or y'all thinking really really hard to come up with something?

Dr J

Last edited by ThurzNite; 05-01-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 AM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Mine never stayed on after 1 HPDE. Dunno why. So I leave it under the driver seat.

When this thread started, I couldn't think of 1 thing to write. Then as others started posting, I see how I've experienced the same things. Yet, none of the issues really bother me that much.

Do these things really **** u guys off? Or y'all thinking really really hard to come up with something?

Dr J
i had to think about most of the stuff i listed on that one post. they were things that bothered me but as of now, it really doesnt bother me much as im used to it already.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 AM

The thing that pisses me off the most about my Maxima is that the original owner had mud flaps put on it and they did not put the rubber sealant on the screws. It rusted through really bad on the pasenger rear side and made a hole that opens up into my trunk. So now when it rains...the ****in water goes into my trunk and soaks the matting on carpet. I wanna get it fixed but I dont know how much it will cost or if its even worth it since its a turd gen.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Not enough aftermarket support. You can buy anything for a POS Honda,but try building a Maxima. While I love Matts stuff (Blehmco) and am glad for Catts, WSP and Truax, there isn't much out there. You always seem to have one or two choices and that's it.
This. When I first looked at aftermarket support when I got my Maxima a few years ago I was appalled at how much of an advantage Hondas had over us. Its probably better though-otherwise I would be broke as hell by this point from going overboard...
I disagree with what people have said about our turning radius though-I used to do delivery in highschool and I got the Max out of some seriously tight situations relatively easy
Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 AM

my old 92 gxe(white)...someone dented the 1\4 panel and their insurance "only" gave me 2,200.00 and i traded it for a 93 nissan truck and used the dent money for my 91 se

my 91 se 5 speed(was grey, now grey slash lite blue)....was stolen after i got it and i had to replace the doors,hood,fenders,front bumper, with lite blue and i spray painted the bottom of the back doors grey
in a slash effect for very little effort and money but now it looks like custom
paint and haters have fantasys that i did it on purpose\spent alot\custom

AND it has a very small drip under the glove box that is definitly a rain leak(only happens when raining, using heat or not,never happens when not raining and its definitly water not coolant so i keep a towel under the glove box and change it during rainy season

ALSO since i lowered this car with the lowest drop available(2 inch)and i re used the very old tokico blues shocks\struts the came on my old white 92 from like 6 years ago they are blown or worn out and it rides harsh with any passengers added weight(espc. heavy people)they say it rides harsh
when we drive on crappy old seattle roads but its rides great on newer
roads up north ...but then agian any car will feel holes and 2 inch tall cracks
on the road and big tree roots causing speed bumps on 30-40 mph roads

ALSO the exhaust is loud because im missing the exhaust resonator ill let them have their fantasys a while longer before i either get an exhaust resonator or get a stock cat back and muffler to make the car whisper quiet agian

THIRDLY my 92 se a\t(gold)...the vtc(spring loaded variable intake cams)
clacks when cold leading to fantasys of it not lasting long(im waiting till they clack all the time then its rebuild time or they will break)

ALSO the only repair ive had to do to this car (not counting security and entertainment devices)since i made 1 good engine out of 2 (15,000 miles ago and like 2 years)was putting in my spare used waterpump(the old one started leaking) but this one will groan a second when cold starting
but its not leaking yet so i will let them have their fantasys about what the noise is till it leaks and i get a new one(i know its the waterpump and vtcs)

AND the 07'factory maxima wheels i got for 250.00(all rims and tires)have
huge **** tires that rub the mudflaps a little when turning going in driveways
but they have fantasy's that its the trans or something i did wrong
...SO THE THING that pisses me off most about my cars are people having
fantasys about my cars\ repair skills\ what my cars cost me esp. since
im usaully pretty modest about these things...till they hate

Last edited by maximagician; 05-02-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:10 AM

07 SL

1) I get this noise that sounds like metal ticking on the right side of the car when i hit a bump, shouldn't be happening with 1,000 miles on it. Might bring it in to have it looked at.

2) When you step on it the car is very hard to control, it likes to jerk back and forth. I think its just because I'm used to rear wheel drives.

3) skyview doesn't open

4) my mileage sucks right now, but members have told me it will improve as i rack up the miles.

5) cants seem to find many after market body parts that are 07 max exclusive, anyone have some good sites?

6) CVT tranny, takes awhile to get used to but after a few weeks i am still waiting to feel the jerk of a gear change. Tippy shifting seems pointless and doesn't do much except instead acceleration off the line.

7) i didn't get nav (slap slap slap slap slap slap)

I really don't think thats too bad for being my first max. There are alot of things that i love about this car that outweigh the bad. We'll see how it is in a year.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Things I don't like about my Maxima:

1.) No audible chirp or anything that says I locked it,...
you know, you can fix that.. i believe you just hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for a certain number of seconds till you see the lights blink.. do that and it will change from silent to a beep when you lock your car from now on.. you can do it over and over to change it back of forth as you wish
Old 05-03-2008, 02:11 AM
Licensed to Spell

Oh, I finally thought of one. No retained accessory power. I hate that. :I
Old 05-03-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
you know, you can fix that.. i believe you just hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for a certain number of seconds till you see the lights blink.. do that and it will change from silent to a beep when you lock your car from now on.. you can do it over and over to change it back of forth as you wish
That should be true, i was playing with buttons and somehow turned the chirp off, then freaked out. I think it might shut off the alarm?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Meangunz
That should be true, i was playing with buttons and somehow turned the chirp off, then freaked out. I think it might shut off the alarm?
i don't think it shuts the alarm off.. somebody with a 5th gen check their remote keypad.. i'm pretty sure it says it on the back of it.. something like.. "hold lock and unlock buttons for beep" i can't remember what mine said
Old 05-03-2008, 02:16 PM

my 6th gen's huge turning radius.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 PM

The volume **** on the stock HU worked really poorly after 10 years (it only changes the volume if you move it in the tiniest increments you can - if you just turn it, it does nothing) and the CD track changing controls don't seem to work properly either.

When I replaced it with an aftermarket, even though I got an antenna adapter, the power antenna never went out, so reception was crappy. Also, the controls on aftermarket aren't as easy to use as stock.

So I went back to stock.

I had tons of electrical problems... sensors going out, I had the alternator go out at 133k, that's normal, but then the replacement went out at 134k.

The ignition broke, so now instead of the original key, I have to use this really cheap looking key. My original key opens the doors, but the new key starts it.

I mean, what can I say? Yes, the car is aging. But it's doing it decently well... it's a money pit, but cheaper than buying a new car. I've probably spent $5,000 in repairs over the past 3 years.

It's been a little sad, since my dad bought the car when I was 8, and I thought it was the coolest and fastest car ever, way cooler than my friends' parents' minivans and Toyotas.

Some little things I like -
The black interior ages pretty well... it doesn't look old or dirty inside
The 16" SE wheels look ****ing hot.
The car looks so much more aggressive than most
With clear corners the front looks really nice
The black-out and body-color trim makes the car look fast, not tacky (I think chrome looks tacky on anything less than $50,000)
I wish I had red-clears, but it's not worth spending that extra money
The car is really quick, and the clutch and transmission work smooth

What I like the most is that in high school, I was able to impress my friends with the power of the VQ30, and my ability to drive stick. Most of them had 4-cylinder Hondas and Toyotas, all of them were automatic.

The way I see it, I can squeeze a few more years out of it, and share it with my younger brother, until I've graduated an gotten a job where I can afford a new car, and where I need a car.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Oh, I finally thought of one. No retained accessory power. I hate that. :I
Does this "holding down the unlock and lock button" trick work on 4th generations? Or only on 5th?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:30 PM

my darn key fob doesnt work!!!
thats all i can think of that really frustrates me....everything else is just life.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Shift_3.0

I'm surprised no one mentioned the terrible seats in the 4th gen. So uncomfortable...
Old 05-03-2008, 11:59 PM

that I can't drive it (my 2nd gen is getting painted)
Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by tarun900
Does this "holding down the unlock and lock button" trick work on 4th generations? Or only on 5th?
Do you mean as far as turning an alarm chirp on/off? No, the 4th gen does not have an audible alarm. But there are mods to add one. What does this have to do with delayed accessory power though??
Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
the vibration i get when im idling at a redlight tho its an occational thing it is annoying as hell sometimes i pull over to a store shut the engine off and buy a soda bcus i cant stand the damn vibration.
i never have the car on while double parked or whatever for the same reason!!i rather abuse my starter then put up with the damn vibrations no homo
Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Problems that I have caused:

-Headlights fog in between washes - because I wet sanded them.
-The car creaks when I start moving or when I'm braking (even if it's a small amount) - because I stripped the tap on the suspension member when re-installing my LTB.
-My rear leather seats have black marks on them - because I had to store my tires in the car for a week since I didn't have time to have them installed.
-When I'm cruising at 30-50mph my car hums unless I let off the throttle or apply more throttle - I mis-shifted into 2nd instead of 4th and I think it messed up the TOB.

Problems I just don't like about the car:

-Flimsy feeling trunk/hood. The doors close with a solid thud, why can't these? My 15 year old BMW's trunk/hood are way more solid feeling than my maxima.
-BOSE sub rattles the rear deck

Other than that, the only things I don't like about my car are a result of the ****ty repair done after a hit and run accident...the things that are the car's fault are very minor and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
i don't think it shuts the alarm off.. somebody with a 5th gen check their remote keypad.. i'm pretty sure it says it on the back of it.. something like.. "hold lock and unlock buttons for beep" i can't remember what mine said
press lock & unlock together for 2 seconds to make it beep/quiet
Old 05-06-2008, 01:49 PM

keyless entry on my 2nd gen only works in certain conditions

i really should get better gas mileage than a hummer- i average ~15mpg

i love the voice alert system, but if you have the door open trying to fix stuffit gets really annoying, really fast.

beige and brown must have been pimpin in the 80s, as it sure isnt now
Old 05-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
solid rear beam suspension.
That was COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for a car in that price range. And then only to market it as an improvement rather than a cost saving measure. Despicable.

Fortunately the did away with it eventually.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by planes891
keyless entry on my 2nd gen only works in certain conditions

i really should get better gas mileage than a hummer- i average ~15mpg

i love the voice alert system, but if you have the door open trying to fix stuffit gets really annoying, really fast.

beige and brown must have been pimpin in the 80s, as it sure isnt now
are you auto or 5sp cuz I get high 20s (like 27-30) on the highway and not to bad in the city (depending on how I drive)
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM

The thing I hate about mine is I dont have one yet. I have been eyeballing them here lately and really like the 00-03's. I think I am going to ditch the cobra and get one
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
are you auto or 5sp cuz I get high 20s (like 27-30) on the highway and not to bad in the city (depending on how I drive)
mines an auto, i dont do too much highway driving, and i need an alignment pretty badly
Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I love lamp.

Things I dislike about my car:

1) Eats 5-speeds on a regular basis

2) The rear sags

3) My 3" b-pipe constantly knocks into the axle on bumps

4) The exhaust drone absolutely drives me crazy

Aside from those, I love everything about the car.

S
Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
not in any particular order:

-crappy steering radius
-rear beam
-crappy interior, plastic overload
-stock ride height
-gas light doesnt turn on with low gas
-91 octane with these gas prices, omg
-POS coilpacks
-crappy BOSE HU, skips like a mother
-low aftermarket support, although it is a family sedan from 10 years ago
-crappy 9004 bulbs
-cheesy looking sawblades
-sunken battleships for oe rear wheel fitment
-small *** wimpy brakes
-warping rotors
-bus sized steering wheel
-more than half my dash lights are out
-front wheel drive
-laggy automatic transmission
-dried out leather seats
-lack of CUPHOLDERS. omg, its bad.
-no folding rear seats
-CEL from extending o2 sensors with headers
-EGR
-A/C is out and wont comeback with numerous recharges and summer is coming up
-no side bolstering in seats
-wimpy *** lumbar support
-my wiper fluid is filled, nozzles cleaned but no fluid discharge (no sex)

theres more but im hungry for lunch.
so Why do you own a maxima....or a car that is more than 5yrs old?

I love every thing about this car I have hail damage and a car started on fire next to mine and melted some stuff. but that is more for me to replace and thats fun I bought my car knowing I would have to work on it I mean come on its 12 years old.

I guess I hate that I cant have a 3.5 in mine.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by devilz05
I'm surprised no one mentioned the terrible seats in the 4th gen. So uncomfortable...
because they are comfortable. try driving a 91 SE-R for two years and then say that....
Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 PM

You guys are forgetting the most irritating thing about the 4th gen, the fact that if you have anything in your left pocket, it will open the trunk when you're driving down the road. Other than that, I love everything about my 4th gen, sure it could be faster, but I've never had a car that I love as much as my 98 GLE. 202K and I still enjoy driving it 100miles a day to work and back.
WOW weird never happened to me in my 96 max...........
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
because they are comfortable. try driving a 91 SE-R for two years and then say that....
.....is that "91 se-r " a sentra?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by maximagician

.....is that "91 se-r " a sentra?
It has to be!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM

WUUUUTTTT? hahah.. WTF do you have in ur pocket? I never have that problem... LET alone do I drive anywhere with crap in my pockets... It annoys me too much to sit down anywhere with stuff bulging out of my pocket.. even keys.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

cold start rattle
famous pinging from 1800-2400 rpm
Blose stereo
headlights have yellow hazing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things that piss you off about your maxima!