General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Transmission is back together- well sorta...before I go further need response

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 12:02 AM

Transmission is back together- well sorta...before I go further need response

Alright now that its 3 AM and I've been puttin my tranny back together everything all seems to clear now. I havent sealed the thing in yet cause theres still more work to do. Its amazing how much I learned about the insides of this transmission by doing hands on work. All the parts came back together perfectly with no leftovers. I was able to identify where each bolt, gear, spring etc went. Unfortunately, I did loose one of the "check *****" somewhere. They are round, bounce easily, hide easily and are very hard to find if they roll away. If you are takin apart your tranny, watch for these VERY carefully. These are the ***** that "hold" the shift forks in gear. There is 1 large one about 3/8" and about 7 smaller ones about 1/4". They have a tendency to "hide" because of the grease, even if you totally degrease the thing. Looks like I'm making another trip to the dealers tomorow for a check ball, a reverse light switch, and 2 output shaft seals. My mom also threw out my reverse switch by accident cause she thought it was junk since I had JB weld all over it. No matter, it was leaking anyway. When I get the new one, I am RTVing the thing from inside the case to be sure it will never leak again.

Big question- on the 5 speed there is the "H" shift pattern. Theres the 1-2 column, the 3-4 column, and the 5-R column. Anyway, neutral falls between the 1-2 column and the 3-4 column usually. If you push your shifter in the "N" position all the way to the right between 5 and R, does it have a tendency to "pop" back to the "N" position? And, if you go the other way between the 1-2 shift, does it just stay there (and not "pop" back)? Shifting the transmission by hand with no lever and no grease inside the thing trying to imagine what my care felt like before isnt too easy. I assume this is normal because I did not mess with the shifter assembly. Thanks 5 speed guys n girls!
Old 11-02-2001, 12:04 AM
SLOW

Mine pops back to the center when I push it either way, but it seems to pop back harder if I go to 5-R than if i go to 1-2.
Old 11-02-2001, 07:04 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Mine pops back to the center when I push it either way, but it seems to pop back harder if I go to 5-R than if i go to 1-2.
Same here.