General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My neesanz a fighter. Survived a fire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:21 PM

My neesanz a fighter. Survived a fire!

So my '90 (3rd gen pride) mysteriously caught on fire on 05/05/08.

My and my freind drive up to my place at about 12 in the am. Just another routine visit to my hizzle. My car is fine... I turn it off, no smoke or anything, just another normal night. We get out and go inside....

Next morning:

So the first thing that struck me as, odd. Was I go outside and I see my car... only it had all around 2.5% limo tints! ( or so it looked like it ). I have to say, at first i thought it looked the best I've ever seen her.

But ya, of course something isn't right about it. I go up, unlock my car and low and behold... the entire right door panel is black and melty, the visor on the right hand side of the car is half burnt to a crisp, it took a good chunk out of my right seat (only a 5 inch by 5 inch 3 inch deep chunk, surprisingly), the top right hand panel of my car where the auto seatbelt slider rests when not in motion was totally crisped, along with the end of the seatbelt and the seatbelt holder, thing... whatever.

To top it all off, all my windows stopped working (except my sunroof), the power locks on all doors became manual locks, the outdoor keypad no longer really does anything, and my black interior just got a lot blacker...

OH, and there's a massive streamline crack in the windshield from the heat.

... So, I'm guessing I have to replace a bunch of fuses to get everything electrical working again (thank god my head unit and rear bose speakers still work perfect), am i correct?

And, how much would a 3rd gen windshield cost from a junkyard? How much would a right door panel cost? roughly how much would a new right seat (not getting one yet) cost? And how much roughly do you think a new seatbelt + the repairs needed to be done would cost?

... on the bright side, my car still runs like new. It just, has a lot of character now.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM

SWEET JESUS! why don't you have pictures!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM

I don't have a goddamn camera...

lol. I already ripped out the door panel.

Oh, and to top it all off. The fire stopped all by itself... not sure how implied i made that point.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Your Maxima is a trooper. Good luck on getting it fixed, but seriously buy a camera and show us some pics!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If you have comprehensive insurance the repairs will be covered by your ins. co.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 PM

Was anyone smoking before you got out of the car for the night?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM

Ya, my freind was.... like, 30 mins before we actually got out of the car.

I'll try and get some pictures, but no promises. Hell, i'll bump this thread in 3 months if i aftoo.

And i just have basic insurance, .

EDIT: Oh, i heard about this thing called glass glue. could i use that to fix the windshield? Because I'm not really in the right position to go out and just buy a new one.

Last edited by Maus; 05-19-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Maus
I'll try and get some pictures, but no promises. Hell, i'll bump this thread in 3 months if i aftoo.
cheap disposable camera, and have the photos "developed" to a cd.

I wanna see this too.
:

btw,
before you start working on fuses and such, find what caused the fire. I doubt it was a cigarette(or whatever...), so it could be leaky fuel or electrical. either of those are a bad deal to be driving around with.
I have never heard of a car "just catching fire."
and replace all wires that might be fried. just get a multi-meter and get to it.

(do you have any jealous ex's that might have a key or code?)
seriously, good luck with the salvage operation.

Last edited by BenStoked; 05-19-2008 at 07:46 PM.