General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

swirl marks...on BLACK paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001 | 07:01 PM

swirl marks...on BLACK paint

i have a black 92 SE...about 2 weeks ago i gave it a full-9 yards clean/prep for the winter. I washed with what i normally use - armor all car wash concentrate. Then i dried the car and went on to Meguiars Step 2 Polish. I applied the liquid polish onto the car with a polish bonnet on a power drill, let it haze up then wipe off with a soft towel...the car then looked beautiful, a real deep black shine. Now, being as excited as i was by how the car looked i went onto the Step 3 - Wax. Now this, i applied and wiped off both by hand. After i wiped the liquid wax off after it hazed up RIGHT THEN i got the swirl marks immediately after i wiped off the wax. Now if these swirl marks are due to the bonnet on the drill then why didnt the marks show up when i wiped the POLISH off and not the wax?

(remember - i used the bonnet to apply polish and applied the wax by hand)

Now i figured id give it time maybe the swirls would fade away, 2 weeks later (and one good wash about a week ago) theyre still there. My friend has some turtle wax compound that im thinking of using...wash the car 1st, then compound it to "strip" the layer of swirls, then wax (i want to try his Mother's Carnauba wax this time)

any help, comments, suggestons?
Old 11-03-2001 | 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well...

After waxing you should (have) sprayed the car down with a water mist. Although this means more wiping, it hides swirl marks and wax clusters in crevices. After the water you should use a clean soft cloth and dry in circles very quickly. The heat friction it produces will leave no swirls, but a glossy, water-spot-free shine. And no, its not the Wax-Cleaner (Meguiars Step 3). I have used them all and they all work the same (even Zymol). Higher quality waxes will only help if you have an extremely dull, dirty finish that has not been washed in ages (which I am assuming you don't have). The mist/dry procedure takes a little more time, but it is worth it if you have already spend 4+ hours washing your car and want to keep that shine.
Right?
-Cyrus
Old 11-04-2001 | 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get rid of swirl marks by using a micro-finishing compound. Just find a non-abrasive compound and it will ird you of all your swirl marks. I use Fireglaze. With a micro-finishing compound, you have to have an ORBITAL buffer, and you have to buff it into the paint. They work very well, especially on black cars.
Old 11-04-2001 | 09:31 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Slickismax
You can get rid of swirl marks by using a micro-finishing compound. Just find a non-abrasive compound and it will ird you of all your swirl marks. I use Fireglaze. With a micro-finishing compound, you have to have an ORBITAL buffer, and you have to buff it into the paint. They work very well, especially on black cars.
But you can't use it to often or you will thin out your paint too much.
Old 11-04-2001 | 02:53 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: swirl marks...on BLACK paint

Originally posted by Maximan190

(remember - i used the bonnet to apply polish and applied the wax by hand)

any help, comments, suggestons?
I do detailing on the side, swirl marks are a royal pain.

Your mistake was to apply the polish with the bonnet and a drill.

Polish makes a finish smooth by cutting the finish ever so slightly. By using a machine you cut to deep and thats what your seeing.

Instant swirl marks!

You need to polish them out again, only DO IT BY HAND!

Don't apply the polish in a circular motion. Go back and forth and up and down. Make sure you use a nice clean cotton towel to remove it. Again, no circles. Then follow with the wax to protect it and make the sine look like glass.
Old 11-04-2001 | 03:37 PM

I would suggest you use Zaino. After using it on my wife's 96 black accord, all the scratches were gone. It is very quick and easy to apply. Can only get it direct from the manufacturer. I use the Z-1 and Z-2 products for all my cars and apply it once a month.

http://www.zainobros.com/