General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dent in the bumper by landscaper...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 AM

Dent in the bumper by landscaper...now what?

So...

What do you guys think?

My car was parked at my complex and when I came out on Wednesday morning, I found a nice indent in my bumper. I was trying to replay back as to how it may have happened. Well, I inspected it further and my bumper is actually somewhat loose. I thought about it and this is the conclusion that I came up with.

Breakdown:

Saturday: I was going to wash my car but didn't have time to since I was running late. I would've noticed the dent.

Sunday: Father's day. Went to SIL's house with the wife and ILs, so that day, nothing eventful happened. So, no chances of it getting dented

Monday: Worked from home on Monday.
Tuesday: Work then home
Wednesday: Noticed the dent in the AM.

I called the condo association asking for the time that landscapers were there. Long story short.. They were there on Monday. Placing them at the scene and since I worked from home, my car was there all day.

I called and left a vmail for the landscapers yesterday and still waiting to hear back.

How would you guys approach this? Now before you guys get all hyped up and say sue or slash his tires, what would be the sensible approach? The only fear I have is that he is going to deny it, since chances are, A. the person mowing the lawn didn't report it or B. the person didn't know that he hit it? I mean, it wasn't like I was there and saw that it happened. So, I'm not sure where I stand.

But all the info and details fit in..

Any suggestions? Its a brand new max and I've only had it for 6 months and if there's going to be a ding, I'm going to be the one putting it in, not some careless person...

Thanks..
Sorry for it being so long....
Old 06-19-2008, 07:14 AM
wants an I35

it shouldnt even really matter who put the dent in it. im assuming because you are driving a 6th gen, you have comprehensive insurance? that would surely cover bumper damage.

and even if these guys did it, and havent admitted to it yet, there is nothing short of video footage that is going to convince ANYBODY that they did. it doesnt even matter what they say when they call back.

so i would just go through your insurance company and be done with it.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 AM

So if I go through my insurance, its a $500 deductible.. So I have to pay for it?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM
wants an I35

yea. you do. it sucks i know.

unless you can actually sweettalk the landscaping people into admitting it and paying for it.

even if you have a tape recorder in your pocket and you get one of them admitting fault on tape, you would still have to take them to court to get the money....which could, in some cases, cost more than $500. its not even worth it.

find "another way" of getting your money back.......
Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 AM
mod or sell?

it's collision coverage he would need , not comprehensive (at least that's how my insurance defines it)
Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
wants an I35

naw, collision is an actual moving collision with another vehicle, and when that other driver also has insurance.

if, lets say, a driver hits you on the road and flees the scene, that is covered by comprehensive. as are things like a random broken window, autotheft, or a tree falling on your car.

those are the stipulations ive always had with my various car insurance carriers.

regardless, 90% of the time comprehensive and collision are offered together for a reduced term fee, meaning they rarely exist independent of each other. when you have one, you usually have the other.

because of that fact, ive lowered my comprehensive deductible to $250, whereas i have my collision set at $1000 (because those scenarios are so rare).
Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club