General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HELP, I'm getting BAD Milage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001 | 10:54 PM

HELP, I'm getting BAD Milage!!!

Guys, My car is about 1 year old now, has roughly 36,000 KM's on it.

And I've been noticing that my Maxima doesn't feel quite right, even before my last Oil Change 4,000 KM's ago.

And Now ... I'm Getting Very Bad Fuel Consumtion?!?! I haven't actually Used the ODOMETER to see exactly yet ... but the Fuel Guage drops a LOT Faster than before.

I first noticed that my Max, doesn't have as much "GO" and after the Oil change ... it got a BIT better, but its still Feels "BOGGED"

What do You guys think the Cause is??

I always check my Tire Pressure, so It CAN'T be that.

Help
Old 11-06-2001 | 11:02 PM

try compression test and cylinder leakage test. you might have blow-by
Old 11-06-2001 | 11:10 PM

What does That mean?

And how much is this gonna cost me?? Cuz if I get my Dealership to check it out for me ... they will Charge me UNLESS they find a Problem which will be covered under Warrenty!!

Originally posted by Nismo
try compression test and cylinder leakage test. you might have blow-by
Old 11-06-2001 | 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Empz
What does That mean?

And how much is this gonna cost me?? Cuz if I get my Dealership to check it out for me ... they will Charge me UNLESS they find a Problem which will be covered under Warrenty!!

get some good spark plug, new fuel filter, air filter, and injector cleaner also check the air pressure on the front tires, try these before you spend some big money.
Old 11-06-2001 | 11:50 PM

get a tune up
make sure u have correct psi in tires
use premium fuel
get a tune up

hope i helped
Old 11-07-2001 | 12:12 AM

What does That mean?

I doubt you have blow-by since your car is pretty new. what the compression test is for is to see how much each cylinder compresses the air/fuel mixture. If your compression is low then it either tells you you have a leakage somewhere or your compression rings are leaking causing blow-by.

Im not shure how much shops charge for this but they do sell the compression guage at auto stores. Its a guage that you put in place of a spark plug and then you crank the engine about 5 times and it will tell you how much psi.

cylinder leakage test kits require an air compressor. what that does is that you put the piston of the cylinder that you are testing in Top Dead Center(piston all the way up) and connect the guage and it will see how much air leaks past the rings.
agin I dont think you will need to do these test. just get a tune up
Old 11-07-2001 | 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HELP, I'm getting BAD Milage!!!

And I've been noticing that my Maxima doesn't feel quite right, even before my last Oil Change 4,000 KM's ago.

And Now ... I'm Getting Very Bad Fuel Consumtion?!?! I haven't actually Used the ODOMETER to see exactly yet ... but the Fuel Guage drops a LOT Faster than before.

I first noticed that my Max, doesn't have as much "GO" and after the Oil change ... it got a BIT better, but its still Feels "BOGGED"

Help
Take it in and let the dealer run some tests.
Old 11-07-2001 | 05:47 AM
RussMaxManiac

Sounds like a O2 sensor might be going out or not reading properly. I would reset the ecu, if that doesn't work, its probably one of the o2s
Old 11-07-2001 | 09:50 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Being that your car is so new, I kind of doubt that it could be things people mentioned which are normally the culprits on older cars or cars with more miles then you.
Also, the powerloss and fuel consumption increase coming about after the oil change is fishy. Where did you get your oil changed? I don't know if bad oil, leak or lack of it may play a role in fuel consumption but it can very well lead to a powerloss, thus causing you to push the car harder to get it up to speed you want to be at. pushing it harder = higher fuel consumption.

Malfunctions of these things can all cause bad gas milage:
-O2 sensors
-Fuel filter
-air filter
-spark plugs
-fuel pressure regulator
-leak
-sticking or clogged injectors
-tire pressure
-MAF sensor
-coolant temp sensor
-catalytic converter

There are more, most things relating to the fuel system or air/fuel mixture can cause it... also dragging brakes, tire pressure, etc..
Powerloss can result of most of these things as well.
Old 11-07-2001 | 09:52 AM

So with this all said ... my best bet would be make a list of the "Symtoms" and bring it into the Dealer right?

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Being that your car is so new, I kind of doubt that it could be things people mentioned which are normally the culprits on older cars or cars with more miles then you.
Also, the powerloss and fuel consumption increase coming about after the oil change is fishy. Where did you get your oil changed? I don't know if bad oil, leak or lack of it may play a role in fuel consumption but it can very well lead to a powerloss, thus causing you to push the car harder to get it up to speed you want to be at. pushing it harder = higher fuel consumption.

Malfunctions of these things can all cause bad gas milage:
-O2 sensors
-Fuel filter
-air filter
-spark plugs
-fuel pressure regulator
-leak
-sticking or clogged injectors
-tire pressure
-MAF sensor
-coolant temp sensor
-catalytic converter

There are more, most things relating to the fuel system or air/fuel mixture can cause it... also dragging brakes, tire pressure, etc..
Powerloss can result of most of these things as well.
Old 11-07-2001 | 10:00 AM

Help
I'm gonna propose something simple, go get another oil change and make sure it is 5W30. If you state that you "feel" like it is slower and that gas mileage is going down, but haven't concluded that, i think it could be in your head. I remember once having my oil changed and they used 10W30 and it felt wrong so i asked and they stated that's what they used, so i got my oil changed again and it ran smoother. Simple yes, could it be your problem, maybe...but its something that is cheap enough to do.
Old 11-07-2001 | 11:06 AM
is invisible

Re: Re: HELP, I'm getting BAD Milage!!!

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Sounds like a O2 sensor might be going out or not reading properly. I would reset the ecu, if that doesn't work, its probably one of the o2s
Is the only way to reset the ECU by diconnecting the neg. terminal on the battery?
Old 11-07-2001 | 10:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: HELP, I'm getting BAD Milage!!!

Originally posted by CoolMax

Is the only way to reset the ECU by diconnecting the neg. terminal on the battery?
you can do it by turning the screw on the ecu all the way in for 3 seconds or so and turning the screw back out.
Old 11-08-2001 | 07:24 AM

Take your to the dealer for a quick checkup!!