General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How long should the fuel system maintain pressure after shut-off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:35 AM

How long should the fuel system maintain pressure after shut-off?

Can't really find this info in the FSM, but I need to know how long a fuel system should maintain pressure after the car is shut off. IIRC from experience, most correctly functioning fuel systems will hold pressure for many hours after the car is shut off. I know after some period of time the pressure will drop a bit.

The problem I am trying to track down on my car is that after shutting the car off the fuel pressure goes from 51 PSI to 0 PSI in about 10 seconds. So, either my Aeromotive FPR is leaking by or my fuel pump is bleeding down pressure. No external fuel leaks, and I am sure my injectors don't leak. Gonna go do some tests real quick, just wondering what I should be expecting to see when/if I can get it fixed.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by made in china
Can't really find this info in the FSM, but I need to know how long a fuel system should maintain pressure after the car is shut off. IIRC from experience, most correctly functioning fuel systems will hold pressure for many hours after the car is shut off. I know after some period of time the pressure will drop a bit.

The problem I am trying to track down on my car is that after shutting the car off the fuel pressure goes from 51 PSI to 0 PSI in about 10 seconds. So, either my Aeromotive FPR is leaking by or my fuel pump is bleeding down pressure. No external fuel leaks, and I am sure my injectors don't leak. Gonna go do some tests real quick, just wondering what I should be expecting to see when/if I can get it fixed.

Thanks
I have an Aeromotive EFI regulator, and my fuel pressure has always dropped off as soon as I shut off the engine. The regulator is in bypass mode.

The stock setup would maintain pressure for quite a while, as I recall.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Any running or starting issues? If not, then what's the "problem"?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Any running or starting issues? If not, then what's the "problem"?
Runs fine. Starting was troublesome, I had to bypass the fuel pump relay so the fuel pump would stay on when I turn the key to IGN. That way I can "prime" the fuel system and get a easier start. I don't like having it this way though as it recently occurred to me that this is an unsafe condition. Before I did this mod, the engine would crank and crank and crank before finally stumbling to an idle.

When I had a SARD FPR, the car started fine for a while and I never noticed any pressure bleed down. I just want to get it to start smoothly without the FP relay being rigged.