General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Transmission - the next step. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 08:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Transmission - the next step. Opinions?

I currently have an automatic. I'm pretty much done with the exhaust work on the car and I wanted to work on the tranny. I've been following the posts on tranny conversions for a while now, but I am a little confused as to what to do. And I'd say that I am more performance minded. Now I am in two minds as to what to do...
to do a tranny conversion OR to work on the auto tranny and possibly get a torque converter and the vb mod.
Plus the whole concept of drivetrain loss has been bugging me for a while. I know probably 5% isnt that much of a loss, but the fact 5 gears vs. 4 always exists.
I know there is probably not too much I could do with an auto, but what in your opinion is the way to go?
Old 11-08-2001, 08:35 PM
Ford Only.

Get the VB, then a Trans Cooler, then Torque Converter and you will take a 5 speed right off the line everytime.
Old 11-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

same thing dz said.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:13 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Ive got the money, now I just need to find the tranny and parts...
Old 11-09-2001, 08:03 AM

I would say go for the 5 speed conversion, the car will be much more fun to drive, and will respond to mods better, too. The only thing exception, from what I've seen in these auto to manual threads, the check engine light stays on for some reason. That problem hasn't been solved yet, as I know of.

DW
Old 11-09-2001, 08:11 AM

do the swap if you have the $$$ its so much more fun to drive a 5speed.... I guess I'm going to drop my tranny this winter and put LSD in + strenghten it if I can... need something that can hold 400HP
Old 11-09-2001, 08:27 AM
ejj

Originally posted by theblue
need something that can hold 400HP
Old 11-09-2001, 08:34 AM

relax.... I'm not doing anything to give my car more HP, just getting it ready this winter so that in a year or so I can add on the HP and my car won't die
Old 11-09-2001, 09:02 AM
ejj

Originally posted by theblue
relax.... I'm not doing anything to give my car more HP, just getting it ready this winter so that in a year or so I can add on the HP and my car won't die
Why would you want a 400hp FWD car? Buy a RWD sports car for that kind of fun!

Ranj - I vote for the 5sp converstion, but realistically, I think working up your auto make more sense.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Get the VB, then a Trans Cooler, then Torque Converter and you will take a 5 speed right off the line everytime.
Is this true? I am wanting to do a 5 speed conversion, but if this will be faster off the line then I would like to go this route. I already have the vb from Don, but not the TC. Anybody with some good experiences with the TC?
Old 03-06-2002, 07:06 PM

Aftermarket torque converter only raise the stall speed, and or can be a non lockup or lockup. Do you really need that?
Old 03-06-2002, 07:16 PM

Uh...you forgot to mention the biggest benefit of an aftermarket TC-that it will live behind the power. If you get serious (beyond N/A) you really should have it.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Neo Max
Uh...you forgot to mention the biggest benefit of an aftermarket TC-that it will live behind the power. If you get serious (beyond N/A) you really should have it.
What does "live behind the power" mean? I still want to know if the T/C is worth it in the auto.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:12 AM

Even if it is true, the widely spaced ratios of the auto just can't compete with the shorter ratios of the 5 speed. The 5 speed will catch up and win. 3rd gear in the auto pretty much has to cover the spread of 3rd AND 4th gear in the 5 speed.

I assume this is a modded auto vs a modded 5 speed. Alot of these auto vs 5 speed comparos compare the modded auto vs the stock 5 speed, which is apples and ornages to me.

DW

Originally posted by Maximus97

Is this true? I am wanting to do a 5 speed conversion, but if this will be faster off the line then I would like to go this route. I already have the vb from Don, but not the TC. Anybody with some good experiences with the TC?
Old 04-30-2002, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Maximus97

There is so much that can be done to an auto to make it damn good. You just have to find a guy that can do it. In the end you will problely spend less than a conversion, or rather will spend less and still be able to compete in the shifts with a 5 speed. The only real downfall will be weight.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:22 AM
dot dot dot ...

A conversion these days is going for about 2000 with ACT clutch and good new parts. An auto rebuild is going to cost about the same if not more. A 5spd requires skill, which is a good thing to have. Not yet have I seen a 4th or 5th gen auto run a 14.3 without loads of work i'e. S/C/NOS/T. Mod for mod, a 5spd will win over a tricked auto, and until someone proves me wrong, I'll stand by that(ecept Don in Texas b/c he has **major** engine work)

dw, Ther eason the check engine light comes on is because the O/D was either left on or off(I forgot which of the 2 it is) But if you change the ECU from a 5spd, that will not be a problem .
Old 04-30-2002, 12:06 PM

I've been thinking about this same topic for some time now.

I've decided to stay auto. I've looked into getting an I30t transmission ($725) so I can have LSD. Put a high performance T/C into that and it would probably be pretty quick. I'm tired of one wheel burnouts. Maybe even rebuild the insides to beef them up? There's more than just 5-speed conversions to make the car go fast. I think the I30 tranny conversion would be cheaper too.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:35 PM

If out and out speed is all your after, then beef up your auto. But there is something the 5 speed manual has that the auto will never have, the fun factor. Downshifting into a lower gear as you fast approach a corner: priceless

Of course, the auto has what the 5 speed will never have, ease of use and convenience and the fact that the human body will never be able to shift as fast as mechanical components.

Always a tradeoff.

DW
Old 04-30-2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
If out and out speed is all your after, then beef up your auto. But there is something the 5 speed manual has that the auto will never have, the fun factor. Downshifting into a lower gear as you fast approach a corner: priceless

Of course, the auto has what the 5 speed will never have, ease of use and convenience and the fact that the human body will never be able to shift as fast as mechanical components.

Always a tradeoff.

DW
This is about as correct a statement as any. 5 speed has a slightly better fun factor, until the auto gets a VB mod and starts making aggressive shifts too. Downshifting, well, got us autos there. As stated above, autos never miss gears and shift faster.