General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Newbee Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM

Newbee Question

What is a MEVI. I did a search but only really found ones for sale or people trying to troubleshoot them
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM

A Middle-Eastern Variable Intake is the intake manifold available on the Middle-Eastern 4th generation Maxima's.

What it does: As your RPM's increase, the intake manifold changes the flow of air that the engine takes in. This allows the engine to continue increasing power above ~5000RPM, whereas power levels off at high RPM's with the USIM (United States Intake Manifold).

Results: The amount of power it gives you varies...but if you have it set up right, you could see ~20HP gains.

Here is the kit:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...e=A32-MANIFOLD

By the way, most people on here would flame you and tell you to check the stickies...but since I am a nice guy, I figured I would help you out.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Sweet so kinda of like a V-Tech but im sure better since its nissan
Old 09-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
Sweet so kinda of like a V-Tech but im sure better since its nissan
Not quite. V-tech makes phones. vtec and i-vtec change the valve lift as you increase in the rpm range, i-vtec is constantly variable, and old school vtec usually has one step and hits about 2000 rpm before redline and you can usually hear it (i think some of the older integras had 2 steps but not sure).

MEVI varies the intake runner length based upon your rpm not the valve lift
Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM

Not quite... V-tec changes the camshaft profiles at certain RPMs (changing the timing).

The 3rd gen Maxima had it, as well as the VQ37VHR in the G37.

What the MEVI does is change the characteristics of the intake path. Like, have you ever read that a long CAI will give you low end gains, but a short ram intake gives you top end gains? By adjusting the intake manifold, you make extra power down low, and extra power up top.

In addition to the MEVI, the 00VI is common. It's the variable intake from the DE-K (the 5th gen motor). It's supposedly better than the MEVI, but more difficult to install.

They both pop up in the 4th gen for sale section a lot.

edit - haha got beat to the punch... same wording too

Last edited by nalc; 09-15-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
Not quite... V-tec changes the camshaft profiles at certain RPMs (changing the timing).
Your right, vtec changes lift and duration, which effects the timing and flow
Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 PM

if im not to smart on installing things, might a decent alternative be a JWT?
popcharger
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 AM

if im not to smart on installing things, might a decent alternative be a JWT?
popcharger
a MEVI has been proven to give a decent amount of horsepower, but you're going to need to disassemble your intake, throttle body, and intake manifold. And install the correct RPM switches to control the butterfly valves.

Short ram intakes are pretty controversial here, there's plenty of dicussion threads on them. Some people like them, some people prefer CAI, a lot of people prefer the stock intake. The general consensus is that all the short ram and CAI just shift the powerband, they don't actually add anything. Short ram will put your power higher up, CAI will put your power low down, and the stock intake keeps it spread out.

A y-pipe is much less controversial... those will give you power, not as much as a MEVI (but if you go for a MEVI later on, having a y-pipe is a good idea). Ease of install depends heavily on how rusted the bolts are that hold your exhaust in. But if you don't know cars, it's a simpler install than a MEVI, especially if you know someone who does exhaust work.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 AM

Um ok so what about a popcharger though
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Um ok so what about a popcharger though
you will gain a few hp (like 4-3) at the low end and you will lose a little at the top end.

A little searching will go a long way my friend, there are tons of intake threads floating around here
Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

A popcharger is just an air filter. An MEVI is a intake manifold. They are two DIFFERENT items and serve different functions on the engine. One does not = the other.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
A popcharger is just an air filter. An MEVI is a intake manifold. They are two DIFFERENT items and serve different functions on the engine. One does not = the other.
Ok let me spell this out. If i am looking for an easy hp gain and dont feel confident in installing a MEVI would a popcharger be a decent alternative. I understand that they are different, i just am not looking for something that is as extensive as an install....
Old 09-16-2008, 02:06 PM

how about you do some searching read some threads that way you will know what mod will be best suit you and your future plans for the car.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Ok let me spell this out. If i am looking for an easy hp gain and dont feel confident in installing a MEVI would a popcharger be a decent alternative. I understand that they are different, i just am not looking for something that is as extensive as an install....
Okay, let ME spell this out. A popcharger is NOT an alternative to a MEVI. A popcharger is an alternative to a cold air intake, or a WAI (search for that one), it is not an alternative to a different intake manifold. The alternative to a MEVI would be a 00VI (again, search). A popcharger will gain you 1-2 HP at most. It is a good starting mod, but it is not going to gain you anything signifigant like an MEVI will.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 PM

I understand the difference. I was talking about a general alternative to a labor intensive install. Im pretty sure that i stated that stated that i knew the difference before you re-spelled it out. My maxima is our family car. I am not looking to hot rod it, i was just asking opinions on easy and inexpensive mods that might increase hp and mpg. And yes i know how to search and i did but i can also ask my own questions. Im not trying to be a **** i just dont need to retard treatment.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM

BTW does anyone have spare wood trim laying around. I bought this from a filthy smoker and he ruined the trim.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM

What we're trying to get across is that a popcharger is not going to give you a noticeable performance gain. It's going to give you sound.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
What we're trying to get across is that a popcharger is not going to give you a noticeable performance gain. It's going to give you sound.
Searching would have brought you to this conclustion

Bolts on aren't going to give you more than a handful of hp anyway. especially the cheep ones.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Ok well im so sorry to waste all of your times. And thanks for all of you that were helpful. For the rest maybe next you search and dont find what you are looking for and you ask a question, may those that answer be kind to you. Do you guys realize the variance in the search function when you are looking for the same thing as some one else and type it in maybe a little different than someone else. wow guess what, sometimes you dont find the answer you are looking for. If searches worked perfectly i would just use google, but since they dont thats what forums are for. just venting but some of you really shouldnt answer forum topics if you dont have anything helpful to add.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
Searching would have brought you to this conclustion

Bolts on aren't going to give you more than a handful of hp anyway. especially the cheep ones.
in your opinion, since they only might offer a small hp gain, in general would that hold true for mpg gains?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM

in your opinion, since they only might offer a small hp gain, in general would that hold true for mpg gains?
Here's a helpful post
http://forums.maxima.org/4652687-post12.html

And a thread by irish44j... one of our more knowledgeable members.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ound-down.html

I think irish has a good point about powerband... if MPG is a concern, obviously you're not revving above 3000 rpm. An intake that gives you more power at high rpms, but loses some low end power, that will hurt you more than help you.