General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My car died last night....anyone care to diagnose it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 07:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My car died last night....anyone care to diagnose it?

Driving home from work, I've gone about a mile and I notice that the radio isn't playing quite right, reception seems to fade in and out even when I'm stopped at a light. Then the radar detector goes off and then on a couple times and then goes out entirely. No idiot lights go on at all. I also notice that when I switch on my parking lights the radio reception gets worse, then gets better again when I turn the lights back off. The car is still running fine so I continue driving. I notice that the rightmost digit of the clock is only about half as bright as the other two. Odd, but the car is still running fine.

After about another five minutes, the speedo needle drops to zero (although I'm still going about 70) and the throttle fails to respond. I move over to the shoulder...the engine is still running but I can't get more than 1k rpms out of it. Finally the whole thing stalls out and won't start. I'm stuck.

So I check under the hood and there's no obvious problem. Belts, hoses (that I can see) and battery connections seem okay and everything looks normal. So I get a towtruck to bring it home, etc., etc.

I'm thinking it is either a problem with the alternator or something belt related. The car is at the shop but they won't be able to look at it until Monday. What a pain.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Jim
Old 11-10-2001, 07:29 AM

Re: My car died last night....anyone care to diagnose it?

Originally posted by JJW95SC
Driving home from work, I've gone about a mile and I notice that the radio isn't playing quite right, reception seems to fade in and out even when I'm stopped at a light. Then the radar detector goes off and then on a couple times and then goes out entirely. No idiot lights go on at all. I also notice that when I switch on my parking lights the radio reception gets worse, then gets better again when I turn the lights back off. The car is still running fine so I continue driving. I notice that the rightmost digit of the clock is only about half as bright as the other two. Odd, but the car is still running fine.

After about another five minutes, the speedo needle drops to zero (although I'm still going about 70) and the throttle fails to respond. I move over to the shoulder...the engine is still running but I can't get more than 1k rpms out of it. Finally the whole thing stalls out and won't start. I'm stuck.

So I check under the hood and there's no obvious problem. Belts, hoses (that I can see) and battery connections seem okay and everything looks normal. So I get a towtruck to bring it home, etc., etc.

I'm thinking it is either a problem with the alternator or something belt related. The car is at the shop but they won't be able to look at it until Monday. What a pain.

Jim
Sounds like your alternator stopped charging and you started running on the battery, slowly draining it till there wasn't enough juice left. If you tried to start it now, it's probably deader than a doornail. Have your mechanic check the alternator first and go from there. BTW, you'll probably need a new battery if you discharged it that much.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:32 AM

is this a 3rd or 4th gen?

Just curious because you say the speedo went to 0 while you were doing 70. I didn't know the speedos were electronic, at least on the 4th gen.

Could be the alternator because it sounds like your battery isn't too good from what you describe. But usually you get a warning such as the battery is discharging.

Hopefully you'll be back on the road without too much $$$. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:58 AM

Alternator
Old 11-10-2001, 08:02 AM

I agree with you guys that the alternator should be checked first. I hope that (and a new battery) fixes the problem.

Anyone know what a dealer price on an alternator replacement would be? Battery?

BTW, I'm sure that the speedo went to zero at the same time the throttle stopped responding. Just prior to that point, I knew something was wrong so I was checking the dash often to see if any lights went on. That's when I saw the needle drop.

Jim
Old 11-10-2001, 08:08 AM

I agree with you guys that the alternator should be checked first. I hope that (and a new battery) fixes the problem.

BTW, I'm sure that the speedo went to zero at the same time the throttle stopped responding. Just prior to that point, I knew something was wrong so I was checking the dash often to see if any lights went on. That's when I saw the needle drop.

Jim
alternator 162 1/2 percent, happened to me yesterday.....
Old 11-10-2001, 08:16 AM

Re: is this a 3rd or 4th gen?

Originally posted by pmar
Just curious because you say the speedo went to 0 while you were doing 70. I didn't know the speedos were electronic, at least on the 4th gen.

Could be the alternator because it sounds like your battery isn't too good from what you describe. But usually you get a warning such as the battery is discharging.

Hopefully you'll be back on the road without too much $$$. Good luck.

Sorry, I should have said this is my '95.

Jim
Old 11-10-2001, 08:19 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

make sure the belt is spinning the alternator before replacing it.
Old 11-10-2001, 08:21 AM

Alternator is definitely toasted .... the voltage regulator could have gone out which would cause the other problems and the death of the alternator. Start with the voltage regulator ... if it is toat it is time for a new alternator and battery as well.

Good luck man.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:46 AM

Jim
Don't know about the dealer, but an alternator thru Autozone, who can also run a test on the alt. for free, is about $200 (new) and it should take a competent mechanic about an hour of labor to swap them. Dealer's are a waste of money for something so simple. You should be able to get a decent battery at Sears or NTB for around $50. You might be able to salvage yours with a slow, deep charge for a little while, but I wouldn't count on it lasting too long. If it's the original one, just replace it.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:28 AM
RussMaxManiac

Your Alternator just went. Those are the signs of it going usually but it went right away on you.

Jim

Old 11-10-2001, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A similar thing happened to me not so long ago in my 95 SE. Unfortunately, it cost me about $560 to fix. Maybe it won't be so bad for you.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:12 AM

Most likely the Alternator, although corroded power wires could possibly be responsible.
Old 11-10-2001, 12:15 PM

Damn sorry to hear about that Jim. Would the dealer even deal with it since you have the S/C?
Old 11-10-2001, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

iwannabmw has the right idea. battery was relied on. happened to my 98 maxima but not that big of problem. sold the car and got a 2002.

Jim
Old 11-10-2001, 04:29 PM

alternator, probably

Sounds like your alternator, like everyone is saying. But wouldn't the battery light come on?

Back in the day, when i had a big old truck (95' silverado), my alternator went out. I could tell that it went out because of some weird noises, and the voltage gauge was a little low, and would not go up if you reved the engine, etc.

The maxima does not have the voltage gauge, I wish it did, but it doesn't. But I thought there was a battery light that came on if the voltage dropped too low?