General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Firestone story

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2000, 10:59 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

got story for you guys tell me wut you think.

Had a customer come in today, Tire blowout from his 98 4Runner. He claims its a defective tire cause its a Firestone. I tell him its not the size thats on recall but look at the tire anyways. There was a blowout but not tread seperation. Sidewall was all worn out which means either he ran it flat, or low on air till it blew out. His next line shocked me. He said "my wife didnt know it was flat till she saw white smoke coming from the rear and she almost flipped over" I was like wut?!? He wanted a free tire i told him i couldnt do that cause it wasnt defective. I cant be responsible for being negligant(sp) bout the tire. He said fine he's gonna report it to Consumer affairs and ill be out of a job very soon. Said ok, gave him our main office number and he left. Tell me your opinions?? thanks later
Old 11-05-2000, 12:15 AM

Ohhhhhh i fu*king hate people like that... People who have no idea about what they are talking about and are so sure they are right that they are willing to fight about it. I hope he ends up having to spend alot on legal fees and never gets anything out of it. Sorry for sounding so mad but as a business owner these kind of people **** me off.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:26 AM
OG :)

i would quit, beats getting fired at firestone sometimes.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:30 AM

That's just stupidity on his part. Not your fault at all.
Old 11-05-2000, 03:39 AM

cashing in

Two things--one: the guy is an idiot because he is negligent of the tire.
two: he is a cheapskate cause he wants to cash in at the current hour b/c firestone is having a recall--an opportunist--as economist would call them.

Turbomax95--I have a question, I bought firestone tires (the sh30) and as everyone had indicated they are good tires. Only thing is after three balance tries they still couldn't balance my tires and scratched the hell out of my two rims--is it worth it to complain to the customer service dept's attention or not? I didn't make a big stink/ nor did I mention it at the firestone center when I was there again b/c I figure it was worthless. But then yesterday I took it to another local tire place to have it balance---and it seems on the first try they got it right. What I am really upset about is the quality of service--which wasn't that good and the carelessness...

Old 11-05-2000, 03:50 AM

Re: cashing in

anymore tire shake?
Old 11-05-2000, 04:08 AM

surprisingly

Kenneth--
good mornign to you too!! see you are up bright and early.

Went to go rebalance at this tireplace call Mavis--and they were quite careful. IT seems on the way home--going 75 was all I could muster in traffic--but thus far--no shakes and when I brake--no shakes. It seems the balance a 2 of the tires were WAY off (those times at firestone where they just kept adding lead weights to it). But so far so good (cross my fingers).

how about you? how was your firestone encounter?
Old 11-05-2000, 04:20 AM

Re: surprisingly

brian-
man that's crap they added weight (more than one) sets to your wheels. but i figured it was balancing.

these tires are confidence-inspiring in rain (the recent weather) more than dry. but cheap also. i guess they are going to firestone so i will go and get an alignment also, since i recently changed shock & spring and heard mean comments on my max's ride after drop with h&rs.

i hope your relatively simple fix is permanent, you reacted faster than i expected heheh. my slacker ****. *yaw*
Old 11-05-2000, 07:45 AM

quick fix

The place I took it to was pretty good. The guy was quite careful with my car and I am not sure if this is because it is my first time there. But they did a pretty good job. I asked them to look into the brakes and they even let me walk into the work area and they looked at everything and I told him to see if the rotors were warped and he said--it does seem so and my rotors are "nice and thick" as he said--and he asked if the shimmy was on the steering wheel or the brakes and I told him it was the steering wheel--and he rebalanced everything.

Well, I haven't gone above 75 but before at 75 there were vibrations already. Speaking of the negative remarks by those firestone guys (not to say all are alike) but the last time I was there, they were just smoking by the car and taking their sweet ol' time with it...

I am telling you--the next time --there isn't a next time back there...whewww...I am tired...nap time!!

catch you soon, Kenneth,

Brian =)
Originally posted by Kenneth
brian-
man that's crap they added weight (more than one) sets to your wheels. but i figured it was balancing.

these tires are confidence-inspiring in rain (the recent weather) more than dry. but cheap also. i guess they are going to firestone so i will go and get an alignment also, since i recently changed shock & spring and heard mean comments on my max's ride after drop with h&rs.

i hope your relatively simple fix is permanent, you reacted faster than i expected heheh. my slacker ****. *yaw*
Old 11-05-2000, 08:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 2000MaximaSE
Ohhhhhh i fu*king hate people like that... People who have no idea about what they are talking about and are so sure they are right that they are willing to fight about it. I hope he ends up having to spend alot on legal fees and never gets anything out of it. Sorry for sounding so mad but as a business owner these kind of people **** me off.

Dude, I agree with you 100000%. And it pisses me off to no end that the liberal media is not talking AT ALL about people taking responsibility for their own safety. The kids you heard about getting thrown from their SUV because of the blowout? Parents did not put them in safety seats or belts (any decent parent does this.) People who were thrown? Did not have their seat belts on. IN fact, the recent accident in Texas where one guy died and one was fine... guess who had his belt on?????? The press has mentioned NONE OF THIS.

Regardless of Firestone's negligence, if any ... People need to take responsibility for their OWN SAFETY. SH*T happenS! Tires blow out, people pull in front of you, etc. etc. take basic safety precautions... don't expect big brother to take care of you.

GOod point dude!!

/aac

Old 11-05-2000, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
got story for you guys tell me wut you think.

Had a customer come in today, Tire blowout from his 98 4Runner. He claims its a defective tire cause its a Firestone. I tell him its not the size thats on recall but look at the tire anyways. There was a blowout but not tread seperation. Sidewall was all worn out which means either he ran it flat, or low on air till it blew out. His next line shocked me. He said "my wife didnt know it was flat till she saw white smoke coming from the rear and she almost flipped over" I was like wut?!? He wanted a free tire i told him i couldnt do that cause it wasnt defective. I cant be responsible for being negligant(sp) bout the tire. He said fine he's gonna report it to Consumer affairs and ill be out of a job very soon. Said ok, gave him our main office number and he left. Tell me your opinions?? thanks later
As long as you follow the law and your company guidelines, are helpful, courteous, and professional with the customer, and try to do the best you are authorized to do, that's all you can do. If the customer is still not satisfied, all you can do is pass them up the ladder. At some point, someone up the ladder may decide to replace the tires, but that's no reflection on you, if you behaved as I described at the beginning. There's all kinds of customers out there, both bad and good. Don't take it personally. The challenge is to turn a baddy into a goodie. If you can do that, you turned a customer into a client. Didn't mean to preach. Good luck.