General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ACT street clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 06:52 PM

ACT street clutch installed

Well, I thought I would share my initial impressions with you all. First, I did not do the install myself which always drives me batty because I'm constantly worried about other people's work. Second, the shop installed the clutch and machined the flywheel for ~$500, not too good I know. Third, I've never had a performance clutch. Anyway, here's what I noticed:

1. My car shudders a little when starting in first and the clutch is making a groaning noise at times. This never happened when I was stock. I'm assuming this is chatter. I've been driving stick for eleven years and never experienced this. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for the break-in period before I can really tell how bad it is.

2. Semi-Harsh clutch engagement. Seems like it's either engaged or not. Going uphill in stop-n-go traffic would be an evil, evil, cruel nightmare. Definately going to take some time to launch correctly under normal driving, but I can tell it will be happy when it's on the track... very grippy.

3. My left calf muscle will soon look like one of Popeye's forearms. I actually like the firmer pedal action though, just need a little spinach.

Overall, I'm real pleased except for the newfound chatter. Performance wise, I can tell it's gonna rip some a$$ and still be bearable under city traffic conditions. It seems as though everyone is back-ordered on ACT pressure plates and street disks but www.nipponpower.com has some in stock for about GR Racing prices, ie. very good, and you can purchase items separately.

All of the above is IMHO.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:06 PM

Where is your engagement point? Is it very close to the floor? If it is, do you have alot of free play at the opposite end?

Also, do you suffer from the clutch that has a mind of its own syndrome? This one is driving me crazy. One minute the clutch will be HARD as a rock, and another minute it could have two inches of freeplay with the engagement points being totally different.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:03 AM

Okay, I've only had the clutch for one day and only drove around for about an hour. It engages about 1/3 from the floor, which I really like, and yes it seems to have a lot of top-end freeplay, which I don't like. I didn't notice the "mind of it's own syndrome", but I will keep an eye out for that.

The pedal feel is MUCH differnet than stock. I feel like a complete newbie , no pun intended, driving my own car. I was making a left and had an opening so I decided to go. The thing is, I revved a little too high and released the clutch a little too fast, which is easy to do with the ACT, and you can guess the rest. My tires chirped and my car made that left turn like it was the last one left. Everyone was probably thinking, "WTH? This guy is a maniac!" I love the feeling of being at the track, but not when I'm making a simple left turn. I like the clutch, but it's going to take me a while to get used to for everyday driving. I'm just really hoping when the clutch settles the chatter will go away. Do you ever have any groaning noises? It just doesn't seem right.
Old 11-17-2001, 06:47 AM

wheel spin?

do you get wheel spin now? from like 1 up to like 4th? since u don't loose much torque compared to your old stock slipping clutch?
Old 11-17-2001, 01:13 PM

Yeah, it's pretty easy to get wheel spin now especially compared to the stock clutch. I have 18's to help with that though.