General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Super Urgent! Please Help !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 10:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Super Urgent! Please Help !!!!!!!!!

OK.. I over tighten the spark plug and I broke them in 2 pieces.
Now, the thread part is stuck in the spark plug hole of the engine and it seems like there¡¯s no way to take it out!!!!
It¡¯s so tight¡¦ I used the torque wernch and the manual said freaking 156LB and I did it as exactly on the book and now I broke the spark plug in two pieces WTF!!!!!
Please tell me what to do~ ah~~~~~~~
How to take it out? should I drill it? or buy the tap and die kit?
****~ tell me something~ AH~~~
Old 11-17-2001, 10:09 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Super Urgent! Please Help !!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by sickmen
Now, the thread part is stuck in the spark plug hole of the engine and it seems like there¡¯s no way to take it out!!!!
It¡¯s so tight¡¦ I used the torque wernch and the manual said freaking 156LB and I did it as exactly on the book and now I broke the spark plug in two pieces WTF!!!!!
Oh man......this would be something that DBM would know maybe because I have no clue.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:16 AM
ejj

Gotta be careful, I'm sure it was inch-lbs, not ft-lbs like most torque wrenches are.

As far as getting them out...I don't think drilling would be a good idea, because if you broke through you'll dump stuff in to the cylinder.

I'd take this to a dealer or high quality mechanic.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

12-15lb's of Tq is what you are supposed to do. I can't even amagine trying to TQ a spark plug to 150lb's. I think you are going to have to take it to a mechanic to have it drilled out. Yes stuff will get into your engine but most of the debree can be cleaned out.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:35 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

ya, what manual were you using?
Old 11-17-2001, 10:57 AM

FOK FOK! FOK FOK it was inch pound and my torque wrench has foot pound I'm FOKED FOCKED!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2001, 11:58 AM
ejj

FOK FOK! FOK FOK it was inch pound and my torque wrench has foot pound I'm FOKED FOCKED!!!!!!!!!
Yeah you are. Take it to a dealer and have a lot of cash!
Old 11-17-2001, 12:19 PM

How much??? $400????
Old 11-17-2001, 12:22 PM
ejj

How much??? $400????
No idea...I assume expensive though, because it sounds like it will be labor intensive.

Keep us updated! Best of luck! This is a tough way to learn a lesson.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:22 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

guys wouldn't the threads on the heads be messed up though?? since he over torqued it and all...might have to replace the whole head wouldn't he???
Old 11-17-2001, 12:25 PM
ejj

Originally posted by DA-MAX
guys wouldn't the threads on the heads be messed up though?? since he over torqued it and all...might have to replace the whole head wouldn't he???
I wouldn't think so...if you check out the threads on a plug, they're pretty soft. I would think they'd give out and strip long before the cast head.

Or at least I'd hope.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:53 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your are in a mess, thats for sure! A good machine shop may be able to drill a hole in it and use an EZout bit to remove it. 156 FT LBS of torque, gezzzz what the hell were you thinking?? Suspension components don't even torque up that tight.

Keep us posted on what comes out!
(no pun intended)
Old 11-17-2001, 03:28 PM

Old 11-17-2001, 04:47 PM

What exacly broke into 2? Can you still get socket wrench on the spark plug? If you can I would suggest using a braker bar. BTW, what did you TQ the spark plug to before it broke? I don't think you could TQ a spark plug to 156 lb's with your own might? Did you use a braker bar to tighten it? Let me know and we can see if we can figure something out.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:04 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok don't panic...
1st thing...try to find out what's left in the hole.
did it break at the base of insulator? or did it break below that? if it just broke at the base of the insulator then you still have a bolt head to turn it out.
if it broke below that inspect two things..
see if the center core is still lodged in there...if yes then GET THAT OUT VERY CAREFULLY. if that falls into the engine then it's over...tow it to the pros and see how much would it be to pull the head off.
if you don't even see the center core/tip in there...you're done..call a pro and see what they can offer you.

if you are able to pull that tip out or if it fell out..then ever so gently hand thread a ez out in it and it should come out. the tension of the spark plug is from the head of the plug..(the part where the socket it). if you break that off then you basically broke the head of the bolt. it should "technically" come out easy.

if the threads are bad then this wouldn't work either.

i know you're trying to learn and etc...but you're going about it all wrong.
good luck.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:06 PM

I'm craze and that's for sure¡¦ but at least I wasn't high when I did that

I used the torque wrench to tighten it up, and I but it broke off the spark plug at about half way turning¡¦ like about 80lb??
Anyway, it broke into 2 separate pieces. The ceramic and the nut part totally came off and only the thread is stuck in the cylinder head.
I don't know what the F*** to do at this point.
Ah~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-17-2001, 05:59 PM

dammmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

That must really suck. I dont use a torque wrench I just hand tighten slightly until the socket wrench stops thats how far I go. I d help but heck thats a pretty deep small place to work with and hope to god one of these guys comes up with an idea to help you out.
Old 11-17-2001, 06:12 PM

I'm craze and that's for sure¡¦ but at least I wasn't high when I did that

I used the torque wrench to tighten it up, and I but it broke off the spark plug at about half way turning¡¦ like about 80lb??
Anyway, it broke into 2 separate pieces. The ceramic and the nut part totally came off and only the thread is stuck in the cylinder head.
I don't know what the F*** to do at this point.
Ah~~~~~~~~~~
Can you get a socket on the bolt?
Old 11-17-2001, 06:14 PM

Couldn't have sayed it better.

I too tried working on my car and threaded the block in my 92 GXE.

It cost me $2000 to get everything running ie another engine plus the labour and a new CAT.

Do not attempt to work on it anymore take it to a shop or you might cause further damage.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:08 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by emax95

Can you get a socket on the bolt?

read again what he wrote..

"The ceramic and the nut part totally came off and only the thread is stuck in the cylinder head."
Old 11-18-2001, 07:40 AM

here's the picture of the broken plug.
Top is normal plug and bottom one is what I got after it broke off...
Any ideas how to get if off???
Old 11-18-2001, 08:41 AM

Idea, but not sure will work.....

What if you wraped electical tape around the broken plug ceramic white end, placed it back into the spark plug hole so that the outside of the tape fits snug on the inside of the spark plug's threads, and then back it out? (If the tape sliped off however it would fall in the engine but you could keep one end long so you could pull it out)
Old 11-18-2001, 09:20 AM

You could try drilling into the plug very gently, insert a puller, heat it up, and try to twist it out since the metal contracted. Don't use too much heat though. Heat + gas = no more Maxima.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:24 AM

Don't even try. Take it to a shop. They're gonna end up pulling the head to get the plug out and retap the holes (if they can be saved). You really shouldn't do that kind of machine work with it on the car. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way. It happens to all of us.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Don't even try. Take it to a shop. They're gonna end up pulling the head to get the plug out and retap the holes (if they can be saved). You really shouldn't do that kind of machine work with it on the car. Just chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way. It happens to all of us.
I pray that you take this advice seriously. It might look easy but it's not and that's the number one reason i never work on my car. I would rather pay somebody some money to do it right rather than attempt it myself.
Old 11-18-2001, 03:09 PM

Sickmen,

I have several ideas but it won't do you any good
since you don't have the tools for it. Listen to
all the other sane people here. Take it to the
shop. They'll remove it with a specialize tools
for this type of problem and retap the hole.
Trust me you would rather do it that way. Goodluck

mike

here's the picture of the broken plug.
Top is normal plug and bottom one is what I got after it broke off...
Any ideas how to get if off???
Old 11-18-2001, 03:39 PM

Reminds me of the time I put my battery in backwards. Blown alternator, ruined battery, and several fuses....
Old 11-18-2001, 03:41 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ok it's not as bad as it sounds. if you go to a shop they should be able to use a bolt extractor and get the threads out and then retap the hole and insert a plug into the larger tapped hole with loctite and have that tapped to stock size. it happened to me on my beretta, minus the broken plug. i needed to have it tapped and redone, cost me 75 bucks. this shouldn't cost you much more.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:12 PM

damn! $80 that sounds awesome!
I called one shop and they said they have to take the head off and it could cost me about $600!!!!!! dang~~~~~
Old 11-18-2001, 05:34 PM

damn! $80 that sounds awesome!
I called one shop and they said they have to take the head off and it could cost me about $600!!!!!! dang~~~~~
yes, that around 100 dollar figure is assuming they don't have to remove the head. don't let them try to talk you into it. judging from the looks of that i don't think you need to.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:46 PM

dang! thank you guys!!!!
I'm going to call the shops around me and see what they're going to do about it before removing the head.
I think removing the head is my last choice..right?
And YES!!!! thank you so much for all your awesome inputs!!!! Without you guys I'm probably still drilling and mess up the engine even more¡¦.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:48 PM

dang! thank you guys!!!!
I'm going to call the shops around me and see what they're going to do about it before removing the head.
I think removing the head is my last choice..right?
And YES!!!! thank you so much for all your awesome inputs!!!! Without you guys I'm probably still drilling and mess up the engine even more¡¦.
that's what we are here for. try to get them to not have to remove the heads. i really dont think it needs to be done.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:52 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

that's what we are here for. try to get them to not have to remove the heads. i really dont think it needs to be done.
w/o looking at it...you nor anyone else here can say that it can be done w/o pulling the heads.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:13 PM

Hey I've been through this before. My spark plug broke off. I had my car towed to the dealership. They used an EZ out to get out the other end of the plug. Costed me about $80 for the labor.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:22 PM

Hmm.. should I take it to the dealer or engine shop? All I know is dealer charges more...
Old 11-18-2001, 06:35 PM

Hmm.. should I take it to the dealer or engine shop? All I know is dealer charges more...
i would stick with an engine shop myself.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by bmxsteve
Hey I've been through this before. My spark plug broke off. I had my car towed to the dealership. They used an EZ out to get out the other end of the plug. Costed me about $80 for the labor.
I think the difference here might be the 100+ pounds of force put to those threads. I guess we'll all know soon. Good luck Sickmen, I hope it is as simple as a $100.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:37 PM

OK... I will take my car at this Thu and I will post the result..
Damn my stupidity~
Old 11-18-2001, 08:26 PM

you may have got lucky in that you didn't strip out the cyl head threads, a shop may be able to use a tool called an EZout to remove the base and just install and properly torqe a new plug in. It will be a trick to find on willing to do it. They see $$$$$$$ in you mistake and want you to pay!!!! Usually you would have stripped out the threads in the head as they are aluminum and softer than the steel plug. Then they would have had to use a helicoil to repair. If you actually tried to torque a sparkplug to 150 ft lbs you have no business being under the hood. Don't even try to change your oil.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by KL99SEA
If you actually tried to torque a sparkplug to 150 ft lbs you have no business being under the hood. Don't even try to change your oil.
Ouch, that was pretty harsh. Granted it was a stupid mistake between inch and foot pounds, but if you work on cars long enough, you're bound to have a brain fart now and then. You can't tell me you haven't done something and then regretted it 2 seconds later.

Quick Reply: Super Urgent! Please Help !!!!!!!!!